`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2003-04 topps chrome

RE: 2003-04 topps chrome
(07-16-2013, 06:14 PM)djohn Wrote: If your plan is to hold the box until 2025, which would be another 12 years then there are plenty of MUCH better investments to make over that time. For instance, let's just consider that the box goes up 5% in value year over year (at least on average over the next 12 years), then the box would be worth $682 in 2012 compared to the $380 you paid now. Now at first glance that seems like a pretty nice ROI (return on investment), since you made a total of 56% return however that was over 12 years. The problem is that boxes will never go up in value at the same rate as the singles inside them. Even if Lebron's Topps Chrome card doubled in value the box might only go up 20%.
Someone else pointed out that investing in unopened boxes is a good idea as product is always getting opened. While that is certainly true, there are plenty of instances where unopened boxes have gone down in value. I don't anticipate 2003-04 products to drop in value, but if you really want a high ROI for unopened boxes then consider some newer boxes from 2007-08 (Durant RC), 2008-09 (Rose and Love RCs), 2009-10 (Griffin, Harden, Curry RCs), or 2012-13 (double rookie class). Just make sure when investing in boxes that there aren't many redemptions, as almost any product with a high rate of redemptions will drop in value once the redemptions expire.
is there somewhere I can check for redemptions? I mean is there somewhere I can check that shows how many/which redemptions are in a certain box?
I collect mainly New York Mets, New York Sports legends of any sport, and pretty much any "legend".

Michael Jordan
Lebron James RC's + autos
Kobe Bryant 96-97 Topps Chrome + autos
Geno Smith autos

the most important thing to remember is that their is no auto for LeBron in this product so if you wanted it for an investment there are much better boxes to buy. Auto rookies are much more valuable than boxes without them.

This post aged well. =)

Again ... how do people find these 7-year-old threads?

If you buy it and pull a LeBron rookie you just increased the value by a little over 10%