`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle

1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle
I have noticed several professionally graded 1951 mantles that have a small pink line that outlines mickey's cap and even some in the New York Yankees logo. Some of the graded issues do not contain this pink discoloration. I know these cards have printing flaws and was curious if this is one of the common printing flaw. I would like some input on this. Thanks

RE: 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle
I can't say at all but I think it's just a flaw in the printing process. Mile High included a mention of pink around Mantle in one of their item descriptions. This doesn't prove if it's real/fake but, well, I guess it's just an example of what you're talking about.

Graded NM 7 by PSA. The title of the offered card is somewhat of a stumbling block, although correct by nature if an enthusiast even and advanced purveyor was to inspect the offered card they would not agree with the particularly harsh assessment by PSA. In fact graded NM 7 but presenting far closer to NM/MT 8 than the conservative and perhaps outdated original assessment from the Newport Beach grading firm, this is an important sports card that will automatically generate second and third (and probably fourth and fifth and sixth) looks from anyone fortunate enough to examine it in person. Upon first encounter, the admiring enthusiast immediately notices a plethora of pack-fresh delights, including a sharp NM/MT to even NM/MT+ perimeter as well as a seemingly wet image, so powerful and perhaps even mildly excessive are its differently colored layers of ink. Indeed, if the card were not already secured within its PSA holder, it would pose the danger of staining anything with which it came into contact, maybe even leaving a reverse negative of the entire image were it placed face-down on any clean surface for more than a few seconds. Standing in stark contrast to this overwhelming dose of color is its immaculate snow-white frame of nicely spaced borders around the periphery, which show virtually zero traces of the age toning that typically stain even uncirculated examples from the celebrated '51 Bowman set. Importantly, when admired from its intended horizontal perspective, there are none of those pesky vertical roller lines that also plague the issue. Study it all you want, but the only mildly imperfect feature on front appears to be a microscopic shift in the pink layer of the image registration, which produces a hardly noticeable fuzzy effect extending off the left edges of both Mantle's head and elbow. A truly high-end example for the grade with incalculable upside potential. Might this finally be the Mickey Mantle rookie card for which you've been waiting your whole life? If so, even if that's just a possibility, we recommend that you forget your price guides and the numerical third-party assessment, trust yourself, and bid according to what you see.

RE: 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle
(07-01-2013, 09:41 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I can't say at all but I think it's just a flaw in the printing process. Mile High included a mention of pink around Mantle in one of their item descriptions. This doesn't prove if it's real/fake but, well, I guess it's just an example of what you're talking about.

Graded NM 7 by PSA. The title of the offered card is somewhat of a stumbling block, although correct by nature if an enthusiast even and advanced purveyor was to inspect the offered card they would not agree with the particularly harsh assessment by PSA. In fact graded NM 7 but presenting far closer to NM/MT 8 than the conservative and perhaps outdated original assessment from the Newport Beach grading firm, this is an important sports card that will automatically generate second and third (and probably fourth and fifth and sixth) looks from anyone fortunate enough to examine it in person. Upon first encounter, the admiring enthusiast immediately notices a plethora of pack-fresh delights, including a sharp NM/MT to even NM/MT+ perimeter as well as a seemingly wet image, so powerful and perhaps even mildly excessive are its differently colored layers of ink. Indeed, if the card were not already secured within its PSA holder, it would pose the danger of staining anything with which it came into contact, maybe even leaving a reverse negative of the entire image were it placed face-down on any clean surface for more than a few seconds. Standing in stark contrast to this overwhelming dose of color is its immaculate snow-white frame of nicely spaced borders around the periphery, which show virtually zero traces of the age toning that typically stain even uncirculated examples from the celebrated '51 Bowman set. Importantly, when admired from its intended horizontal perspective, there are none of those pesky vertical roller lines that also plague the issue. Study it all you want, but the only mildly imperfect feature on front appears to be a microscopic shift in the pink layer of the image registration, which produces a hardly noticeable fuzzy effect extending off the left edges of both Mantle's head and elbow. A truly high-end example for the grade with incalculable upside potential. Might this finally be the Mickey Mantle rookie card for which you've been waiting your whole life? If so, even if that's just a possibility, we recommend that you forget your price guides and the numerical third-party assessment, trust yourself, and bid according to what you see.
Thanks for your response. I have seen it on several high and lower end graded mantle cards.