`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
player "value" question

player "value" question
I understand why certain players are "worth" what they are for the most part, like starting QB's, RB's, you know great players or HOF'ers., but my question is why are there players that literally done nothing that demand such value.

my main examples are Ryan Mallett and Brock Osweiler, yes they are young quarterbacks developing and learning under quite possibly the two greatest qb's ever, but then I can even throw in Nick Foles, another qb who has not done anything, and all three of them demand such a premium, my question is why?

im not trying to starta large debate and rant about it, Im just looking for people's opinions to why this is.
[Image: VNTYXbe-Copy_zps4a0bcd1a.png]

RE: player "value" question
value is based not on stats, but on market demand

look at tebow: his card prices are astronomical (and some might say, comical). this, of course, isnt based on his performance

mallet and osweiler are looked at as heir apparents to two guys ending their career. osweiler much more so than mallet as this point. Mallet has a lot of tools that make people believe he can be a very good starting qb when he gets the chance.

Foles, again, is looked at as a guy that might replace vick.

i call it the "steve young" effect. or for the youngin's, "the aaron rodgers effect"

Ryan Mallett is still very big among Razorback collectors and that accounts for some of his value. He was considered a first round pick until the media tore him apart. People think that he will eventually emerge as a starter and become the next Aaron Rogers or Steve Young. I am rooting for him all the way because I want him to prove wrong all the scouts that bashed him.
[Image: B6aktTl.png]

I collect Bears, Celtics, Yankees, Cardinals prospects, and Razorbacks

(06-27-2013, 09:28 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: value is based not on stats, but on market demand

look at tebow: his card prices are astronomical (and some might say, comical). this, of course, isnt based on his performance

mallet and osweiler are looked at as heir apparents to two guys ending their career. osweiler much more so than mallet as this point. Mallet has a lot of tools that make people believe he can be a very good starting qb when he gets the chance.

Foles, again, is looked at as a guy that might replace vick.

i call it the "steve young" effect. or for the youngin's, "the aaron rodgers effect"
Or Tom Brady effect, or Matt Flynn effect or Colin Kapernick (not sure how to spell it) effect.

Qbs always carry a premium in value, these guys will get a chance one day and if they do well their cards will skyrocket, like Kapernicks did last year.

[Image: vBmHxKD.png]

It is called "prospecting", and is very common in baseball. Essentially people are buying up cards of someone they expect/hope will be a great player in the future, so that they can either sell them or not have to buy them at a much higher price when the player breaks out. In football, it is very common for back-up QBs and even some back-up RBs to be collected like this, especially if they are a back-up for a superstar player (since they will be expected to be mentored and trained to follow in the superstar's footsteps).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I appreciate all your opinions and they all make a lot of sense. thanks.

reason I was asking was I was picking up some magic autos' and I was able to scoop a few mallets up and one osweiler for a decent price, and I just happened to look at previous sales and was amazed at some of the prices.
[Image: VNTYXbe-Copy_zps4a0bcd1a.png]

I was able to pull a Mallet auto from Crown last year, and to me,yeah it was a nice looking hit (3clr, 4 breaks) but I thought to myself.."Ooh Brian Hoyer's backup in New England!" But I saw the bv and traded it for a HORNUNG gu auto. So it always amazes me that unproven rookies are somehow on the same level as the greats of the game.
[Image: Gdgj0.png]

PhotoBucket

Top 5 Auto Needs
1. Elijah Pitts
2. Oscar Robertson "Big O"
3. Giannis Antetokounmpo "GA34"
4. Aaron Rodgers "A12R"
5. Aaron Rodgers "A8R"

(06-27-2013, 02:45 PM)bigtrip18 Wrote: I was able to pull a Mallet auto from Crown last year, and to me,yeah it was a nice looking hit (3clr, 4 breaks) but I thought to myself.."Ooh Brian Hoyer's backup in New England!" But I saw the bv and traded it for a HORNUNG gu auto. So it always amazes me that unproven rookies are somehow on the same level as the greats of the game.

This is what I never understand. Okay, I get that people buy in the hope that they will be great one day, but realistically you could buy a really good card of a HOFer for less than the people spend on rookies and prospects, and there's no risk with that. They've already made it it to the top, people are spending more on players that they think/hope will make it to the top. Really does not make sense to me.
[Image: Bloomfield%2BRoad%2BPanoramic%2B2-1.jpg]

(06-28-2013, 06:13 AM)lynchy19 Wrote: This is what I never understand. Okay, I get that people buy in the hope that they will be great one day, but realistically you could buy a really good card of a HOFer for less than the people spend on rookies and prospects, and there's no risk with that. They've already made it it to the top, people are spending more on players that they think/hope will make it to the top. Really does not make sense to me.
because when you buy them when they are at the top, there's no chance for for value appreciation

everyone hopes to hit that home run

its called prospecting...endemic in the baseball side of the hobby

(06-28-2013, 07:20 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: because when you buy them when they are at the top, there's no chance for for value appreciation

everyone hopes to hit that home run

its called prospecting...endemic in the baseball side of the hobby
I have only tried prospecting twice before and picked Mike Trout and Colin Kapernick. I may never try it again because it doesnt get much better than that.
[Image: B6aktTl.png]

I collect Bears, Celtics, Yankees, Cardinals prospects, and Razorbacks