`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Color Line Rookie Project Complete / scans

Color Line Rookie Project Complete / scans
This set of cards represents the first Black Players to play for each Major league baseball team. It is a project that is an off-shoot of another project that I’m currently working on(From Negro League To Major League).

The collection contains a rookie card of each player that had a rookie card issued.

There are two players that never had rookie cards, Nino Escalera and John Kennedy. To represent Escalera I’ve included a Larry Fritsch card from their 1977 “one Year Winners” set. To represent John Kennedy, I’ve included a beautiful custom card made by Bob Lemke in 2012.

Please note that Henry Thompson was not only the first Black player for the Browns in 1947, but he was also with Monte Irvin on July 8, 1949, the two of them breaking the color line playing for the New York Giants. Nino Escalera and Chuck Harmon also made their debut on the same day, April 17, 1954 for the Cincinnati Reds.

Included with this collection of cards is a card of Moses Fleetwood Walker. The Fleetwood card is from the Upper Deck, 1994 American Epic card set, based on the Ken Burns film “Baseball the American Epic”.

Fleetwood is documented as being the first Black man to appear in a major league baseball game on May 1, 1884 for the Toledo Blue Stockings, during their one year in the American Association. His younger brother, Weldy also played some games with the Toledo team. Moses Fleetwood was injured before the season ended causing him to leave the team. The color barrior was enacted in 1888 and remained in place until 1947. Enjoy......

[Image: img494_zps34c868c8.jpg]
[Image: img495_zpsb994f9ac.jpg]
[Image: img498_zpsef19a6e0.jpg]

RE: Color Line Rookie Project Complete / scans
Awesome collection, congrats
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

(06-25-2013, 08:24 AM)elberson Wrote: Awesome collection, congrats
Thanks,
It was fun working on this. I also enjoyed reading about the players as I chased their rc's. Now I can get back to my original project. Hope I don't get side tracked again.

Great idea and great collection. Thanks for sharing!
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

should not that be bob lemke custom --
should not that be bob lemke custom -- oh and great project Smile

(06-26-2013, 11:34 AM)richk Wrote: should not that be bob lemke custom --
should not that be bob lemke custom -- oh and great project Smile
Thanks, and thanks for catching that. I don't know why I'm calling him John. Corrected