`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show off those vintage Mantles!!!

RE: Show off those vintage Mantles!!!
(06-22-2013, 12:34 PM)jstbuch Wrote: That is a very nice vintage collection. I have nearly all those on my "wants" list. I don't really have much in the way of vintage but I am working on it!
Thanks! We can trade your Mantle for all my Mantles, and I'd even throw in the Willie Mays cards to sweeten the deal Smile
At least with your Vintage collection, you got the toughest one (Topps) out of the way first! Good luck ! I think there's another 52 topps (variant? ) that's just a little pricier and harder to find.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

that book for me set me about 400 in trade value. its one of my fav!!

LOL... I'll keep the offer in mind.

There are two different variations with several distinct attributes but the easiest way to tell them apart is the stitching on the ball on the back was different. Only 3 other cards were printed twice that year and I have always found it interesting that the most popular card in the set is actually the most readily available.

I don't have much direction in my modern collection. I mean, I collect Hershiser (which there isn't much high end of) and am putting together a small insert set. I was also hoping to put together an Allen & Ginter /10 red auto set after it was released but I may have to wait to do there until next year since I spent so much money on this one card (I consider the Harper and Pujols as cash since I have to replace them... obviously lol). Other than that, I really just buy whatever catches my eye.

With that said, I am going into my vintage collection with a very specific list of cards. I'm hoping it will be a small but very nice little vintage collection. This will allow me to get higher grades of the cards I really want.

Next year, I am not going bust so much wax. This will let me add another card or two. My goal is to have all the cards from the 10 Greatest Baseball Cards of All Time list that Forbes did (and I agree with) by the time I am ready to retire. I know the Honus Wagner card is likely impossible but it gives me something to dream about. Maybe I can do it as retirement give to myself... lol

Here is the list:

1909 T206 White Border #366 Honus Wagner
1914 E145-1 Cracker Jack #30 Ty Cobb
1914 E145-1 Cracker Jack #103 Joe Jackson
1933 Goudey #106 Nap Lajoie
1933 Goudey #53 Babe Ruth
1938 Goudey Heads Up R323 #274 Joe DiMaggio
1949 Leaf #8 Leroy “Satchel” Paige
1951 Bowman #305 Willie Mays
1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle
1954 Bowman #66A Ted Williams

That is one tough list to fill!
If you do, I'm sure Beckett would do a cover story!
One down, nine to go! Good luck!
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

It's highly likely it will never happen but we can all dream, right?

(06-23-2013, 10:26 PM)jstbuch Wrote: It's highly likely it will never happen but we can all dream, right?
That's the reason why Powerball is so successful. It's "The Dream" that keeps everyone coming back for more. Smile In fact, Same with us addicted pack rippers. Smile
Keep the Dream alive, my Friend!!

I've also got a '52 Mantle! Here's mine Wink

[Image: 487861_3495268346339_731311801_n.jpg]
[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]

(06-24-2013, 10:39 AM)krykslr Wrote: I've also got a '52 Mantle! Here's mine Wink
What a cool card! The coolness of it outweighs the condition. I would love to own every Mantle card, but those '51 and '52 (Topps and/or Bowman) are just a little too pricey, even in poor conditions, to justify in my situation. Perhaps one day!

(06-24-2013, 10:39 AM)krykslr Wrote: I've also got a '52 Mantle! Here's mine Wink

[Image: 487861_3495268346339_731311801_n.jpg]
LOVE that card!!! Most vintages I am unconcerned with condition. I like them graded so I can make sure they are authentic.