`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Yet, another Willie Mays forgery

Yet, another Willie Mays forgery
These popped up on eBay as I guess the sellers don't know Willie Mays never signed any of these cards.

[Image: williemaysfake.jpg]

[Image: williemays0001.jpg]

According to the Robert Edwards auctions where the cards were originally purchased, "5) 2001 Fleer Genuine Names of the Game – Autographed Card (no card number, never issued). 102 cards total, NONE of which are signed by Mays, each in Mint condition."
[Image: fredwilliamson.jpg]

RE: Yet, another Willie Mays forgery
Mostly all the fleer leftover stuff has the market flooded with fakes
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

Yea, the Fleer bankruptcy sale definitely hurt the market as it released cards like this that say "Autographed" but never got signed by Mays. Thus counterfeiters could easily forge a Mays signature and claim a legit card (since after all the card says it was autographed). Hopefully nobody gets duped by these, but I am sure someone will. At least the top signature is somewhat close to Mays actual signature whereas the one "numbered to 100" is beyond obviously fake.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

The second one is real bad
[Image: 6C3028DA-222D-46AB-98B7-BD7D0829F4B5-819...1b74d5.jpg]

You should 100 percent stay away from anything Fleer from the early 2000's. So much fake stuff out there.

(06-11-2013, 06:17 PM)jstbuch Wrote: You should 100 percent stay away from anything Fleer from the early 2000's. So much fake stuff out there.
Not really. Just have to be educated on what the real ones look like. I use to be a die-hard Fleer collector in the 2000's and have a ton of nice cards from those years. Some cards are extremely rare and underpriced.

My biggest problem is the resell market is tough because of the fact that there are so many fakes.

(06-12-2013, 04:25 PM)jstbuch Wrote: My biggest problem is the resell market is tough because of the fact that there are so many fakes.
That's why you don't buy with the intention of "resell" and buy what you know is authentic. Anything questionable, stay far away from it.