`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Some recent OPG additions and what you need to know about them

Some recent OPG additions and what you need to know about them
There are two similar parallel sets just added and I want to discuss each a little. The cards shown below are not owned by me.

2000 Fleer Tradition Glossy 2001 National 1/1 – 400 card set parallel

[Image: T2eC16RwsE9suwydrRBRc-fLOw60_57_zps004de22d.jpg]

These were distributed at a major show back in 2001, and quite frankly, I am disappointed that these were added to the OPG in the first place. I do not consider this to be a legitimate parallel set - instead I deem this to be an “aftermarket creation” because these cards were apparently stamped by the show promoters and not by Fleer. There are tons of cards out there with individual card show stamps and up to this point I was glad these seemingly were not acknowledged any legitimacy by Beckett. Keep this all in mind before you lay down your hard earned money on these cards.

Nevertheless, there are a couple of other things worth noting here as well. For one thing I can confirm that I have seen both the Glossy versions, as listed by the OPG, and the conventional non-glossy versions, which are not listed as such, with this same stamp. I question then was this originally a hand collated set containing both versions mixed in or are there two different 2000 Fleer Tradition sets with this 1/1 convention stamp, one being the glossy and the other non-glossy? Also, there is a 1999 Topps Collection and golf set out there with this exact same stamp on the front as well, but in contrast neither is listed and hopefully never will ever be.

1998 Playoff Contenders Leather, Pennant and Ticket parallel Proof Sets 1/1

[Image: T2eC16RHJGoE9nuQfSeyBQHfZplMrQ60_57_zpsab3d32d7.jpg]

I too question the appropriate addition of these parallels - however I am not as strongly opposed compared to the previous example. Thanks to information previously provided by jaderock, I now know that these were provided directly from Playoff at a Hawaii card show in 1999. In addition to “PROOF” being stamped near the bottom there is a “one of one” stamp on the back as well. What makes classifying these sets difficult is that all these sets were won in an auction in one lump sum and subsequently broken up and sold in parts.

Also there are many other 1998 Playoff Contender Proof Sets besides the three now listed - many sets in fact! Not only does every Playoff Contenders base card from that year have a 1/1 proof, but also every parallel and insert – pretty much everything except for the Registered Exchange versions. For example, the Tickets also have a Red and Gold Proof so in actuality there are three player Ticket 1/1 Proofs in that set. In all likelihood, eight parallels exist for the Pennants:

[Image: enispennants.jpg]

I believe there are up to a whopping 17 Curtis Enis Playoff Proof cards out there somewhere, not just the three that are listed in the OPG. There are even more for a number of other players featured in these sets.

[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

RE: Some recent OPG additions and what you need to know about them
I can't figure out a good reason why anyone would be upset that cards (of any version that were produced) ARE included in Beckett's database. I can see some heartburn for cards that were NOT included, but cards that Beckett has added? Don't add them to your org and then you won't have to look at them. Problem solved.

(06-06-2013, 11:47 AM)joe callahan13 Wrote: I can't figure out a good reason why anyone would be upset that cards (of any version that were produced) ARE included in Beckett's database. I can see some heartburn for cards that were NOT included, but cards that Beckett has added? Don't add them to your org and then you won't have to look at them. Problem solved.
I appreciate the concern for my well being and for blessing me with your helpful advice Captain Obvious. You will be happy to learn then that to my knowledge I have never lost one iota of sleep or acquired the heartburn symptoms that you alluded to as a result of worrying what is in and not in the Beckett OPG. Conversely however it leads me to question whether you had a bout of heartburn or was feeling somewhat irregular yourself this morning since that would explain why you made this asinine snarky post sometime earlier.

Yes, I guess I could “ignore” listings like these altogether and that is what I typically do when compiling player checklists, but I do not understand the harm of innocently pointing out listing inconsistencies or errors either in the interest of accuracy. As a byproduct of creating this thread I am hoping that someone from the Beckett staff will read the OP and consider making the correct adjustments, fat chance I know. I could delve even further to answer what you thought was purely a rhetorical question but I care not to.

Not surprisingly you also seem to be missing the main point as to why I created this thread in the first place. I made some discoveries and I thought I would share, in what I felt was a well written OP explaining this information, with those who collect players that are featured in at least one of those sets. Some here are aspiring master collectors attempting to compile comprehensive player/team checklists. I want those to know about the other parallels not listed and supply each with the background of these 1/1s so they can make an educated purchase before they spend a lot of money in case they come across any. I am also well aware that perhaps nobody cares about this information in the first place, and if so then “oh well”.

BTW, I will be creating another somewhat similar and much more elaborate thread when I get around to it. If you or anyone else is irritated with OPG related threads like these do yourself a favor and be more selective before clicking.
[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

I myself enjoy reading your posts/threads as they are very informative and I get to see some pretty cool cards as well. As for the post itself I completely agree with you about "after market" items being added to the OPG. For those aka myself who are less informed about "cards" when they see a card in the checklist it gives the false idea the card was a pack inserted card. Perhaps beckett can have a special area to list the after market stuff and leave the legit stuff in the OPG. Who knows?
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341