`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting a collection

Starting a collection
I am new to collecting and I want to start a Tony Parker collection but I have no idea where to start or what I should do first, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated
looking for Stefon Diggs and Josh Reynolds and anything Dallas Cowboys

RE: Starting a collection
It greatly depends on how much time and money you are looking to invest. This isn't necessary, but IMO you should start by getting a subscription to the becket online price guide, that way you can get an idea of what things are worth and it allows you full access to the Organize feature which will allow you to keep track of all your cards and also makes trading a lot easier. I would pick a particular niche in Tony Parker cards, for example pick a particular season and go for all of his autos or JSY cards, or even base cards depending on your spending preference. That way you have a goal and are not spreading yourself to thin going after everything. But again it's really about how much you want to invest. Hope that helps, I'm sure other users will have some good advice. Good Luck and if you are interested, I have a Tony Parker Gold Standard Signs of Gold auto #ed /25.
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]

Thanks for the advice it is much appreciated and I will keep it all in mind, I am willing to spend time and money (just not an unreasonable amount) in making this collection, do you think it would be better to start with his rookie year or a more recent year?

Rookie year stuff will be more expensive, but chasing down his rookies it is a good place to start. If you want to invest the kind of money it will take for autos and such, his rookie year is probably the best starting point.
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]

Alright thanks for the advice I appreciate it!

Another place to look for prices is Ebay. You can look at the completed auctions to begin to get an idea of how much his cards sell for. Personally I would try to get as many of his rookies, an auto, a jersey card, and a patch card (if available). I always try to get a variety of the types of cards that the player would have. From there you can then begin to piece your collection together with your favorite type of cards. I just checked his autos and most can be had for under $30-40. Not many went over $30 but some did. Very reasonable IMO.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

Oh ok thanks that sounds like a good plan Ill probably start there, thanks for the advice! I'm excited to get started

(05-29-2013, 11:50 PM)j_brad13 Wrote: Oh ok thanks that sounds like a good plan Ill probably start there, thanks for the advice! I'm excited to get started
No problem. Whenever I start a new player collection I try to get a wide variety of items to help determine the direction of my collection. It also depends on what type of collection do you want? Are you going to want any and every card made by Tony Parker (I know this would be pretty tough, but some collectors want anything of their player)? Or do you want to focus on one type of card? For my latest Klay Thompson PC I am only focusing on RCs, Autos, and some GU cards. I am not looking to buy every card I see on Ebay but I do want a some what wide variety of cards. But by starting off with a wide variety of cards to begin with I think it will help you determine the direction of your collection. You can also look to buy some Tony Parker Lots on Ebay. This would also get you a good start.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

DEFINITELY check comc.com (check out my cards is what the comc stands for). I collect Mitch Richmond and I can routinely get cards way under half their book value.

For guys who collect anybody other than the super popular players it's a great resource!
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

(05-30-2013, 12:34 AM)nickm1123 Wrote: No problem. Whenever I start a new player collection I try to get a wide variety of items to help determine the direction of my collection. It also depends on what type of collection do you want? Are you going to want any and every card made by Tony Parker (I know this would be pretty tough, but some collectors want anything of their player)? Or do you want to focus on one type of card? For my latest Klay Thompson PC I am only focusing on RCs, Autos, and some GU cards. I am not looking to buy every card I see on Ebay but I do want a some what wide variety of cards. But by starting off with a wide variety of cards to begin with I think it will help you determine the direction of your collection. You can also look to buy some Tony Parker Lots on Ebay. This would also get you a good start.
Yea I don't think I want to collect every card made by Tony Parker that would be tough, but I will take your advice and start off with a wide variety that seems like a pretty good way to start. I will look on Ebay and see if I can find any lots
(05-30-2013, 10:52 AM)buckunteer Wrote: DEFINITELY check comc.com (check out my cards is what the comc stands for). I collect Mitch Richmond and I can routinely get cards way under half their book value.

For guys who collect anybody other than the super popular players it's a great resource!
Thanks for the website I saw a lot of good cards that weren't too expensive I appreciate the info