`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to buy: a case, a bunch of various boxes, or a case break?

What to buy: a case, a bunch of various boxes, or a case break?
so, i got the itch to break some "wax". last time i did this, i ended up buying a box of 2011 topps lineage:

www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1525120.html?highlight=lineage

i really like the product. and was thinking of buying a case of it (found one for 570)

then i started looking around...which was a mistake

so, the quandary:

1. do i buy a case of something (looking at cases $800 or less)
2. do a buy a bunch of boxes of various products (i have no idea what, suggestions would be nice)
3. total out there move: buy a box of case breaks

im not collecting, so everything over a dollar goes into my dutch, everything less than a dollar ends up in my lots where 100% goes to charity (only possible exception: if i go with a case of stuff, and end up with complete sets, i might give them as a freebie as a bonus for a customer)

what im looking for, not looking for:
1. i dont have much interest in prospects
2. doesnt have to be a new product! anything 2001 and up is cool
3. i dont have a set budget - i dont have to spend a lot. so if i say i have a budget of say, 800, and only spend 300 - im cool with that

or should i just not spend the money at all :/

RE: What to buy: a case, a bunch of various boxes, or a case break?
i like variety so personally i would buy different boxes but buy two of each. example: 2 2011 finest, 2 2010 topps chrome, and 2 2012 gypsy queen.

Ive always liked my odds at Topps Chrome, and it has that chance at something big, without the cost of some of the "high end" products. I think if i remember correctly 2012 had 3 Autos per box. And I would say after Bowman, The TC autos are probably the second most desirable Autos. And most decent cards in the set are right in and around $1 BV

I would buy a box or two, if you like it buy a couple more. If cases is what you want, go with it, but i still think that its probably better by box.

Oh and if you can get a good deal on 2010 Bowman Draft, You get first prospect cards/Autos of players like Stanton, Nova, Stras, Posey. Machado, Simmons. Never a bad break.
www.northerncards.net
Bowman Set Collector
Blue Jays Guy
Supercollecting Jorge Saez and Jose Berrios

I have seen posted on a couple of threads now that you do Dutch auctions. Do you really not collect or are you just not collecting right now?
Photobucket

bbcardexchange has some cheap 2006 topps seies 1 and 2 cases for around $300 i think

bbcardexchange has some cheap 2006 topps series 1 and 2 cases for around $300 i think

bbcardexchange has some cheap 2006 topps series 1 and 2 cases for around $300 i think
opps double post

(05-26-2013, 06:57 PM)askowron Wrote: I have seen posted on a couple of threads now that you do Dutch auctions. Do you really not collect or are you just not collecting right now?
once i started making cards a business a decade ago i stopped collecting. i sold off all of my red sox game used stuff (cards and actual stuff), most of my fred mcgriff collection (i used to be one of the bigger collectors of him) and some other stuff for 2 reasons: one: dont get high on your own supply 2: to fund the startup cash i needed to make a run at a full time business. ive kept a small portion of my collection - a couple hundred fred mcgriff cards, my hof auto 8x10's, some red sox autos. but i dont actively collect anymore...i have a hard time spending money on myself when i know i can put it into my business (plus, at least 10% of everything i sell goes to cancer research. im not exactly getting rich here :p

---------------------------------

as far as the rest of the responses: thank you and keep them coming.

That's really cool and probably the way to go. I would imagine it would be hard to be in full time business in cards and try to collect as well. I'm assuming that if you have been doing it for ten years, you must be doing something right. Congratulations on being able to do that for a living and being able to donate 10 percent as well. I would love to do something like that but I think my wife would kill me if I quite my job.
Photobucket

I would personally buy a case thats the best odds of pulling a monster card. If you dont do prospects i would say Topps chrome is a great product i would try 2011 was loaded with color.