`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is 2013 (or any year) base Topps worth the break?

Is 2013 (or any year) base Topps worth the break?
Me here again, the guy with a million questions...this week's episdode, base Topps. Is it a fun break? Is it worth the money? Or is it something you just do in January to bide your time until the season and the better products come around?

RE: Is 2013 (or any year) base Topps worth the break?
depend on what you mean by worth it, i reckon

lot of folks like building the base topps set, kind of traditional.

If you read up on the best breaks for return on investment, Topps Series One nearly always tops the list. It's not for me as I prefer a bit higher end but still fun.

I havent opened any 2013 but id expect it to be just like opening 2012, do they vary much??? im not sure
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

It's the best all around. Chances at parallels, autos, memorabilia while still getting tons of base and inserts. Not to mention it's the defining set of the year.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

(05-19-2013, 08:28 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: depend on what you mean by worth it, i reckon
If I wait til 2014 to build 2013 will I be able to do it for 1/2 the price?

(05-19-2013, 08:42 PM)dougnash Wrote: If I wait til 2014 to build 2013 will I be able to do it for 1/2 the price?
i know bowman can fluctuate in price, because of prospects. topps stays more or less around the same, as long as you dont try to buy singles or lots on ebay in the first month. boxes usually tend to stay the same

(05-19-2013, 08:42 PM)dougnash Wrote: If I wait til 2014 to build 2013 will I be able to do it for 1/2 the price?
Depends on how you try to build the set. My favorite way to build the Topps sets each year is to wait for the blasters to go on sale at 40% off and then buy them to put together the set. The biggest upside to doing that is that there is a special manufactured patch card in each blaster that usually ends up making the blasters a lot of fun. You can also get retail and hobby boxes for a good discount once the next years product comes out (unless there is a big name rookie that keeps the box prices up, such as Mike Trout in 2011 Topps Update).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(05-19-2013, 08:36 PM)cross4444 Wrote: It's the best all around. Chances at parallels, autos, memorabilia while still getting tons of base and inserts. Not to mention it's the defining set of the year.
+1
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Base topps is just that a watered down base set meant for novice collectors. Their bread and butter are the Bowman set and on the high end Tier 1 and Finest.

If you wait it out until after the season you can usually find a complete set 1-660 for around $15-$20. So if you're just interested in having a set to put away for the future that's the route to go as it's cheaper than buying boxes or enough retail to put a set together. On the other hand if you're looking to flip for a profit Base Topps isn't that type of product. Most autos go in the $5-$8 range at best unless they are numbered fairly low.