Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
What started out as good "luck" is turning bad

What started out as good "luck" is turning bad
Just gotta vent about my horrible "Luck."

I actually started off lucky, by pulling a National Treasures Andrew Luck Patch Autograph Rookie #/99, then because of the ridiculous prices of busting things nowadays, I figured now would be the best time to sell it to get the most on my return...posted it on the bay and got close to $1,500 for it, more or less the going price. Mailed it out in a magnetic holder, painters tape along the top just to ensure it doesn't come loose during shipping and in a team bag, in a bubble envelope placed in a priority flat rate envelope...transaction done.

Just got messages by the buyer that the edges are good, corners are good, BUT, the top of the patch area is damaged. So now he wants either a full refund, or a partial refund. Well. The card left me with no visible damage, maybe some edge wear around, the patch area, but nothing major nor unexpected from this product. nothing like a dented patch area or anything really visible unless you're inspecting it closely...sorry, I'm currently on a trip and can't post a scan of it. So I told him to send the item back to me and I'll refund him his purchase price plus shipping, but I won't refund him partially and it has to reach me before I issue a refund.

I get the fact that someone who is plopping down money like that would want a truly pristine item, but I really think that it wasn't damaged when I mailed it out, and there really was no way that it could have been damaged in the shipping. So the only thing I can think of is that this guy is being way too sensitive about the condition (which I totally get for that price), or he's trying to fish for a partial refund so that he can resell it for a small profit. Im just hoping that because I'm asking for the card back, he doesn't just go and ruin the card in order to get his money back because I'm positive it didn't leave my hands damaged to the point of asking for a refund. Either way you look at it, I'm totally going to be out $1,500...

So what should have been a pull of a life time, is now ending up to be one big headache...and what started out as being some good "Luck" is slowly turning into some bad "Luck." Sigh...

RE: What started out as good "luck" is turning bad
Well, here's hoping he sends it back exactly as he got it, and he's just being overly sensitive.

If it comes back the way you sent it, have you thought of getting it graded, just to make sure you don't have to worry about this again? I haven't gotten a card that valuable... well, ever... but if I was to get one and try to sell it, I've thought that might be the best way to keep that sort of thing from happening...

I'm not much of a grader, but that is some good advice. Thanks!

(05-14-2013, 03:42 PM)bojesphob Wrote: Well, here's hoping he sends it back exactly as he got it, and he's just being overly sensitive.

If it comes back the way you sent it, have you thought of getting it graded, just to make sure you don't have to worry about this again? I haven't gotten a card that valuable... well, ever... but if I was to get one and try to sell it, I've thought that might be the best way to keep that sort of thing from happening...

Well if you have the pic on your auction and it does come back with noticeable damage you can bring that up to ebays attention. Tho it wont do any good you can still fight and argue with them that the buyer damaged the card. Also insurance would have been a good thing to have on a $1500 card just incase it was actually damaged in shipping or can be claimed to have been. 3rdly - If it is damaged by the buyer I would send it to Panini for a replacement. Chances are they'll restamp another one and send it back to you. Not saying they will but for $1500 its worth a shot.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

Also some good advice on sending it back to Panini.

I highly doubt the powers that be at the bay will side with me on this issue though.

It was insured, but seeing as how the only part that the buyer is complaining about is the patch area, and it was in a magnetic case, I'm not sure how I'd prove anything to USPS as they'd want to see the complete package and then take three months to even respond. If the card was totally destroyed, I'd go that route, but I truly think the buyer is being too sensitive about the condition or trying to pull a fast one on me.

(05-14-2013, 04:06 PM)branesergen Wrote: Well if you have the pic on your auction and it does come back with noticeable damage you can bring that up to ebays attention. Tho it wont do any good you can still fight and argue with them that the buyer damaged the card. Also insurance would have been a good thing to have on a $1500 card just incase it was actually damaged in shipping or can be claimed to have been. 3rdly - If it is damaged by the buyer I would send it to Panini for a replacement. Chances are they'll restamp another one and send it back to you. Not saying they will but for $1500 its worth a shot.

I don't think the buyer is being too sensitive about condition, at least if you didn't see the damage. Tough to say without a before shipping pic. But I would not be all shocked if they were pulling for a partial refund. Confirm the correct serial # just in case they're trying to send you their damaged Luck, however, you have a patch involved that would be easy to distinguish.

Here's to hoping they don't damage your card!
Resident Joique Bell Hoarder!

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/monsterx

I'm gonna put it this way... When a buyer asks for a "partial refund," they intended to find something wrong with the card in order to profit from it after selling it off again AND save half the money he used to buy from you... THAT is his/her true intentions.
When I receive a damaged card, I send it back because I can't either profit from it if it was truly damaged or it was too damaged to my liking to hold on to.
The buyer knew what he was doing... Plus, look at his past purchases, and it will give you a better idea of who your customer is... and also help you fight it if it comes damaged.
Collecting Falcons, 3 Color or More Patches!
--- 2011 Rookies and Stars Materials Black Prime Longevity 053 out of 106 found. HELP!
[Image: StevenJacksonFalconsSmall.jpg]

http://s626.photobucket.com/user/JHnGA09/library

i agree with heringa.. cant do a partial refund.. he will make bank off it eventually and leave you in the dust. hopefully this turns out in your favor. good luck with your bad luck!
[Image: TT8dhuE.png]
Collecting Terrell Owens,Tom Brady,Peyton Manning, Josh Hamilton, Alex Smith
If you don't have any HIGH end cards, please don't try to acquire one of mine. Thank you.

I have actually had this happen to me a couple times on ebay.Usually what it tends to be is buyers remorse,every time the card has come back to me in the exact same condition as I sent it.They just say its damaged so they can get a refund,because ebay will side with the buyer in a damaged item case.It usually tends to happen with higher end stuff.

In addition to a photo of the card did you make any claims to the condition in your listing? In other words did you say it was NM-MT or Mint or anything like that? Reason I ask is that what is Mint to one person may not be Mint to another and many times is not Mint to a grading company.

I have returned cards I purchased because they seller said they were mint and they had a flaw that was not visible in the picture but certainly would be visible with a Loup and for $1500 I would be using magnification.
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]