`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Centering Grading Question

Centering Grading Question
I am debating if I should send this in. I know that the Left/Right centering is off, but what do you think the centering subgrade would be? Is there a way to measure the left/right centering to determine the subgrade? What do you think? I would be happy with a 8-8.5 and the rest of the card looks good. Not looking for perfection here. Let me know what you think.

[Image: 100_3275_zpse37a401b.jpg]
The centering left/right in this card looks similar except the centering is off right to left. Am I right or not? Let me know what you think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHAEL-JORDAN-1...7675.l2557

[Image: Nick.jpg]

RE: Centering Grading Question
My guess would be 8.5 centering. Top - bottom looks nice.
NBA 50 GREATEST AUTOGRAPHS - 48/50 - 96%

50 Greatest still need - Chamberlin, Maravich.

Here's the criteria to get an 8.5:

Centering: 60/40 both ways or better on front. 80/20 or better on back. Corners: Sharp to the naked eye, but slight imperfections allowed under close examination. Edges: Relatively smooth borders. Specks of chipping visible to the naked eye are allowed. Surface: A few minor print spots. Very minor color or focus imperfections. Solid gloss with very minor scratches detectable only upon close inspection. Or a subtle metallic print line.

To compute centering, you measure the width of a border, then you measure the width of the opposite border. Divide one of these values by the sum of both values, and express the result as a percentage.

For example, if you have 2 mm of border to the left, and 3 mm of border to the right, you have 5 mm of total border. 2/(2+3) is 0.40, which is 40%. 3/(2+3) is 0.60, which is 60%. So this card is considered to be 40/60.

I think you have a good shot at an 8.5. Very nice Jordan card BTW.

(05-07-2013, 09:09 AM)sonic311 Wrote: Here's the criteria to get an 8.5:

Centering: 60/40 both ways or better on front. 80/20 or better on back. Corners: Sharp to the naked eye, but slight imperfections allowed under close examination. Edges: Relatively smooth borders. Specks of chipping visible to the naked eye are allowed. Surface: A few minor print spots. Very minor color or focus imperfections. Solid gloss with very minor scratches detectable only upon close inspection. Or a subtle metallic print line.

To compute centering, you measure the width of a border, then you measure the width of the opposite border. Divide one of these values by the sum of both values, and express the result as a percentage.

For example, if you have 2 mm of border to the left, and 3 mm of border to the right, you have 5 mm of total border. 2/(2+3) is 0.40, which is 40%. 3/(2+3) is 0.60, which is 60%. So this card is considered to be 40/60.

I think you have a good shot at an 8.5. Very nice Jordan card BTW.
Thanks! I knew there was a way to actually measure the borders and calculate the percentage on each side. I thought it was 60/40 but obvioulsy could have been wrong. Thanks for all of the information.

(05-07-2013, 12:26 PM)nickm1123 Wrote: Thanks! I knew there was a way to actually measure the borders and calculate the percentage on each side. I thought it was 60/40 but obvioulsy could have been wrong. Thanks for all of the information.
You're welcome. Good luck with the grading and please post a picture when you get it back.

(05-07-2013, 09:01 AM)arabiansnowgriz Wrote: My guess would be 8.5 centering. Top - bottom looks nice.
Thanks! When I compared it to a picture of the same card grade, it was a little more obvious. Thanks for the help!
(05-07-2013, 01:33 PM)sonic311 Wrote: You're welcome. Good luck with the grading and please post a picture when you get it back.
Will do! I am sending in 18 this month and then another 15 next month. I am hoping that my wife will buy the 15 card submission for Father's Day.

Are the scratches on the sleeve or the card?

(05-07-2013, 10:17 PM)pacrimcollectibles Wrote: Are the scratches on the sleeve or the card?
They are on the sleeve. The surface itself is in great shape. Very minor scratches, but not as drastic as the sleeve shows. I just checked again to make sure haha! No scratches on the spot of the card that appears to be scratched. I looked at the sleeve and there are lines running horizontal that appear to be scratches. Had me nervous for a second haha!

hey, realize i may be late to the game here, but i started a thread in the BGS Grading forum that you may find of interest. The title was "BGS Card Grading Tips: Centering", started back in January.

(05-13-2013, 12:30 AM)hercules21 Wrote: hey, realize i may be late to the game here, but i started a thread in the BGS Grading forum that you may find of interest. The title was "BGS Card Grading Tips: Centering", started back in January.
Thanks! It is a little late as I send this card out on Saturday but I am planning another submission and I will take a look at your thread. Thanks for the information!