`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LeBron Leaf auto

LeBron Leaf auto
Someone has a LeBron Leaf cut signature 1/1 listed on the Bay. It bugged me out because LeBron doesn't have a contract with them (even though I understand how the process worked). The thing that got me the most was when I noticed where the signature came from. It came off of his book signing. I think UD had him sign around 100 copies (not for sure).

The seller has it listed close to $500 obo. I have the book which was selling for less than half that price on the Bay when it first came out. The question I would like to know is would any of you pick up a card like this (it doesn't have to be LeBron. Any person from your PC would do)?

I personally think the signed book is a lot better and cheaper, but someone else may want it because another card company issued his auto s/n 1/1. Add to the fact that it really isn't a 1/1, lol. He signed a lot more copies of that book where it came from. I guess its the same as if Panini cut out an on card auto from UD and used it as a cut signature, lol. For me, if it came from a Magazine and they authenticated it then it would be different. Anyways what do you all think about this? Would you want something like this for you PC?
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

RE: LeBron Leaf auto
In the example that you gave, I wouldn't pay $500 for the cut auto when it's possible to get the original piece of signed memorabilia for half the price.

However, I have an Andy Phillip (1940s/50s Hall of Famer) cut auto that sells for around $175 despite the fact that you can pick up his signed index cards for about 20% of that price.

People (myself included) are certainly willing to pay a premium an autograph if it is a certified cut. They are easier to store and more in-keeping with the rest of my cards, whereas it's more difficult to store and showcase other signed items.

Having said that, I appreciate it does sound a bit irrational.

And certainly, for a modern player like LeBron James, it would make no sense at all. But, for deceased Hall of Famers, there is certainly a premium to be paid for cut autographs rather than signed memorabilia.

(05-04-2013, 08:52 AM)will23c1982 Wrote: In the example that you gave, I wouldn't pay $500 for the cut auto when it's possible to get the original piece of signed memorabilia for half the price.

However, I have an Andy Phillip (1940s/50s Hall of Famer) cut auto that sells for around $175 despite the fact that you can pick up his signed index cards for about 20% of that price.

People (myself included) are certainly willing to pay a premium an autograph if it is a certified cut. They are easier to store and more in-keeping with the rest of my cards, whereas it's more difficult to store and showcase other signed items.

Having said that, I appreciate it does sound a bit irrational.

And certainly, for a modern player like LeBron James, it would make no sense at all. But, for deceased Hall of Famers, there is certainly a premium to be paid for cut autographs rather than signed memorabilia.
I agree completely about deceased and older players. The thing that I mentioned in my original posting was if it came from something that wasn't already authenticated (which the book was by UD), then I could understand a cut sig. They have another Leaf cut sig of Kobe & LeBron that sold for over $500 that looks like they came from magazines. I didn't like the card but it didn't bother me like this one did, lol.

The cut signature concept doesn't bother me at all. It's this type in particular. You do make a good point about storage. I can also understand if someone just wanted a different type of auto from one of there PC players.

I have not been fond of the Leaf product since its arrival. Its design is weak and the autographs are not that good. I have been waiting a long time to get a Malone auto and have seen some leaf patch autos with "sick patches" of Malone but stayed away from them because they seem sketchy. Leaf to me is a very sketchy company and I would never buy anything from them.

The thing you said about the Lebron 1/1 auto makes the even sketchier!

(05-04-2013, 02:13 PM)edescartes Wrote: I have not been fond of the Leaf product since its arrival. Its design is weak and the autographs are not that good. I have been waiting a long time to get a Malone auto and have seen some leaf patch autos with "sick patches" of Malone but stayed away from them because they seem sketchy. Leaf to me is a very sketchy company and I would never buy anything from them.

The thing you said about the Lebron 1/1 auto makes the even sketchier!
I understand where you are coming from but I personally don't have a problem with Leaf. I like the fact that they are trying to keep a footprint in the basketball market. We need a lot more diversity. You might have to dish out some money on a Leaf Malone auto, lol.

I just think it's shady in general to sell another company's products as your own, i.e. their "Best Of" products.

I wish Leaf would just stick to making its own unique stuff — such as the Pete Rose blasters, where you got a Rose auto and a complete 50-card set for $29.99 — or concentrating on its own licensees, a la Damian Lillard (like a ROY boxed set with guaranteed auto or whatever — I would buy one if the price was right).

I sold a Sidney Crosby auto on the bay last summer, and Leaf actually won the auction, so I assume they put it in their "Best of Hockey" product.

Now, they won fair and square and paid quickly for it, so I have no problem with it, but it would have been nice if it went to someone who collects Crosby or whatever, not some company just flipping it for a profit.