`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I have a few questions...

I have a few questions...
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to collecting football cards and to be honest the NFL itself. I started supporting the Bucs about 18 months ago and I bought a Topps hobby box from last years set as I liked the stats on the back and I thought it would help me learn more about the teams and players (which it has done quite a bit!). Being from the UK, the hobby is quite difficult to maintain but I am determined to. Apart from my half completed 2012 Topps set, I've bought lots of random sets of Bucs cards along with 100+ random cards that some puts together on eBay from the UK.

How are cards usually ordered when they're stored? I know this is a personal preference but I wondered what the general consensus is. I was thinking by set, then by year so that although I have lots of random cards, if I have ones from the same set it will be noticeable.

Also I was wondering about the differences between Hobby and Jumbo boxes. Do Jumbos have more cards but Hobby have better breaks? For example with 2013 Topps coming out I read somewhere that the black border parallels would be available in the Hobby boxes but there was no mention of if they'd be found in the Jumbo.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions and it's nice to be here, I've had a quick look around and there are some nice topics to read about from collectors Smile

Thanks!

RE: I have a few questions...
You've basically answered yourself on storing the cards. It does come down to a personal preference. As for the difference between jumbo and Hobby, as for the cards, nothing. Now hobby will usually have lets say 24 packs of 10 cards each. So you would be looking at getting 240 cards total. Plus or minus a few, if they include extra hits (autographs/relic cards). Jumbo is hobby exclusively, usually have very thick packs. 50 cards a pack and only 10 packs or so a box. Hope that helps you out a bit.
Eddie George Super Collector

If your anything like me, the cards are all over the place in stacks and random boxes near my computer.

For the stuff I actually try to organize, it depends on how much there is, but it is pretty much a hodge podge of 2,3 and 4 row boxes with post it notes on the fronts and tops to keep me from getting too confused.

I have one box of nothing but rc's, inserts and serial numbered cards. Another couple of 2 rows for autos and jerseys that are for trade or sale. Most of my pc is in a couple of 4 row monster boxes.

I believe the black borders you mentioned are hobby exclusives, so they will be in jumbo boxes as well. The jumbo boxes of Topps typically have 2 hits in them, an auto and some sort of memorabilia card.

Welcome to the hobby and the Beckett FB board!
[Image: 1c4478fb-d731-4d9f-ba14-899045a13077_zps5489e52d.jpg]

(05-03-2013, 11:16 AM)mrgonzodad Wrote: If your anything like me, the cards are all over the place in stacks and random boxes near my computer.

For the stuff I actually try to organize, it depends on how much there is, but it is pretty much a hodge podge of 2,3 and 4 row boxes with post it notes on the fronts and tops to keep me from getting too confused.

I have one box of nothing but rc's, inserts and serial numbered cards. Another couple of 2 rows for autos and jerseys that are for trade or sale. Most of my pc is in a couple of 4 row monster boxes.

I believe the black borders you mentioned are hobby exclusives, so they will be in jumbo boxes as well. The jumbo boxes of Topps typically have 2 hits in them, an auto and some sort of memorabilia card.

Welcome to the hobby and the Beckett FB board!
+1,000,000. My wife gets a bit irritated with the random piles all around the computer and on my dresser lol

Mine are pretty much confined to a hutch, so I can get away with just closing the doors most of the time. It's cramped, but it keeps me out of trouble!
[Image: 1c4478fb-d731-4d9f-ba14-899045a13077_zps5489e52d.jpg]

Haha thanks to all for your help, at the moment I have a binder full and some boxes but they really need sorting out.

If I understand right, does this mean that everything you could find in a hobby box would also potentially be found in a jumbo as well?

Also as far as tracking your collection, does the organise feature on here work well?

(05-03-2013, 02:14 PM)Takeo7789 Wrote: Haha thanks to all for your help, at the moment I have a binder full and some boxes but they really need sorting out.

If I understand right, does this mean that everything you could find in a hobby box would also potentially be found in a jumbo as well?

Also as far as tracking your collection, does the organise feature on here work well?
That correct, they can both be found in regular hobby and jumbo boxes. Odds of getting a specific type of card are higher in Jumbo if I remember correctly.

Yes the organize feature works well. If you have not paid for the online price guide, I'd suggest you do, so you can use the organize to its fullest potential. If you do not, you can only enter 100 of your cards.

Storage is a preference like the these guys stated i use binders for my pc 4 rows for trade stuff and my desk and nearby table for incoming mail and recently purchased
Photobucket