`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Had a question on some STAR cards I picked up the other day. Also, Completed 72-73!!

Had a question on some STAR cards I picked up the other day. Also, Completed 72-73!!
All have been sold or traded!

Thanks.

RE: Had a question on some STAR cards I picked up the other day. Also, Completed 72-73!!
Just gonna pay 60 bucks to send in for grading tomorrow.

Thanks

RE: Had a question on some STAR cards I picked up the other day. Also, Completed 72-73!!
Great cards. Welcome back to the hobby. I like seeing another board member out here who likes vintage cards. I wish I knew more about Star cards. I don't have any of them. I think they're pretty underrated. I have thought about picking some up, but I don't know enough about them to know what a good price is on them.

There is a narrative out there that says there are a lot of counterfeit or reprinted Star cards. I think the PSA message board has one or two threads on it that have a lot of information on Star cards. From what I understand the reprinted cards were made by Star themselves in the 90's but are a different color than the originals from the 80's so they are easy to differentiate. The counterfeit ones I don't know about. I would probably just buy them graded if I didn't know the source (like you did). Not sure how to tell if the card is trimmed. I think if you compare the edges of the card, see if the stock is a slightly different color or texture as the device used to cut the card by the manufacturer would likely be different than what a trimmer would use.

Good luck with your collection.

(05-03-2013, 02:09 AM)slum22 Wrote: Great cards. Welcome back to the hobby. I like seeing another board member out here who likes vintage cards. I wish I knew more about Star cards. I don't have any of them. I think they're pretty underrated. I have thought about picking some up, but I don't know enough about them to know what a good price is on them.

There is a narrative out there that says there are a lot of counterfeit or reprinted Star cards. I think the PSA message board has one or two threads on it that have a lot of information on Star cards. From what I understand the reprinted cards were made by Star themselves in the 90's but are a different color than the originals from the 80's so they are easy to differentiate. The counterfeit ones I don't know about. I would probably just buy them graded if I didn't know the source (like you did). Not sure how to tell if the card is trimmed. I think if you compare the edges of the card, see if the stock is a slightly different color or texture as the device used to cut the card by the manufacturer would likely be different than what a trimmer would use.

Good luck with your collection.

Thanks!

I read a lot on collectors universe. I guess there were certain ones besides the RC 101 that were being counterfeited. Mine dont fall in that category thank godSmile Also, some were reprinted and sold on TV in the 90's. The reprints looked horrible and you could spot one fairly easy. They were selling the Crunch n Munch series as an 86 STAR/2nd series, that never existed. Those came out the year before. It was bad at one point I guess. The guy responsible for the fakes was sewed as well as many others.

I just had the chance to grab a raw RC 101, but will stay away from raw ones for now. It seemed a bit shorter and or trimmed from top/bottom.

Thanks again and maybe we can trade some vintage?

A friend of mine recently sent in that All-Rookie Jordan you have to BGS and they rejected it for questionable authenticity. Hopefully you have better luck.