`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: any Playstation gurus

RE: OT: any Playstation gurus
(04-26-2013, 11:11 PM)CWMulligan Wrote: The older ones had problems with the silicon on the boards melting over time. I had two different ones I had to replace, including my 60 gig. I'm pretty sure you can get a new one from best buy for $149. You might even be able to trade in your old one towards it, especially if you have the old box. I'd suggest just going with that option if you can. Also, you might be able to contact Sony support and upgrade to the slim for a lowered price point. I did that a few years ago, not sure if they still offer that deal
Just going by your posts, your ps3 looks to be your gaming system, blu-ray/DVD player, and the equivalent of a cable box/sattelite receiver. If that is the case getting a new one for $149 as suggested is a no brainer.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

(04-26-2013, 11:21 PM)rmpaq5 Wrote: Just going by your posts, your ps3 looks to be your gaming system, blu-ray/DVD player, and the equivalent of a cable box/sattelite receiver. If that is the case getting a new one for $149 as suggested is a no brainer.
LOL yeah, that pretty much sums it up.
I'll check in with Best Buy, Gamestop, and the couple of local shops who trade them and see if I can get a good deal. I know Best Buy at least sells the refurb'd ones so you can get their in store warranties, which would probably allieviate some of my concerns.

The main nice thing about the first generation ones is they have the full emulation of PS2... but in thinking about it, I really never play any of those anymore and should probably just unload them too.
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,263 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

Just out of curiousity did you update the firmware recently? On the older machines it can really mess up the software. See if you can roll back the firmware or google it. Also does it play games ok or do those mess up to?

(04-26-2013, 11:38 PM)magneto2 Wrote: Just out of curiousity did you update the firmware recently? On the older machines it can really mess up the software. See if you can roll back the firmware or google it. Also does it play games ok or do those mess up to?
I had that thought too and will have to google how to do it. I know when you mess with the BIOS on a computer it can mess with the fan/cooling system. I'll try it after work.
(04-26-2013, 11:11 PM)CWMulligan Wrote: The older ones had problems with the silicon on the boards melting over time. I had two different ones I had to replace, including my 60 gig. I'm pretty sure you can get a new one from best buy for $149. You might even be able to trade in your old one towards it, especially if you have the old box. I'd suggest just going with that option if you can. Also, you might be able to contact Sony support and upgrade to the slim for a lowered price point. I did that a few years ago, not sure if they still offer that deal
The repair service I've looked into would upgrade the fan, replace the heat pads, and all the gels, and something else (forget off the top of my head).
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

(04-26-2013, 06:17 PM)tate31nym Wrote: I have a first generation PS3 (60 gig, though there's basically nothing on the drive right now bc I haven't had time to game in ages). I stream everything thru it and it's connected directly to my router. Recently, no matter what streaming service I use (netflix/amazon/mlb) it will play for about 10 minutes and then freeze. Sometimes the audio continues but the picture does not. I have to restart the whole machine to recover. I've done all the typical stuff like uninstalling/reinstalling netflix, restarting my internet connection, checking all the connections, etc. It really began after the latest netflix update earlier this week - but it's affecting all the programs.

Anyone have this happen to them or know what causes it?

Is my ancient baby about to die? (please say no)

Any advice/thoughts is appreciated.
I don't think its about to die. I think its a firmware issue. I have a 120 GB model and since the latest firmware update, it won't play a Netflix movie without stopping in the middle of it. I think there may be some bugs that will eventually get fixed.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

(04-27-2013, 01:06 AM)jhyde77 Wrote: I don't think its about to die. I think its a firmware issue. I have a 120 GB model and since the latest firmware update, it won't play a Netflix movie without stopping in the middle of it. I think there may be some bugs that will eventually get fixed.
I sure hope you're right; as someone else suggested I'm going to look into rolling it back.

I haven't tried a game on it, but it played a movie fine.

I'm still going to look into replacements though as all this talk and my own googling has me all paranoid about the functionality of my cooling system.

The only problem with repair service is a lot of the time the best you're going to get is a 30 day warranty. With buying at a box store, you'll get a new system, bigger hard drive, and a one year manufacturers warranty. You can also purchase an extended warranty, and at that price point you'll probably pay $99 for four years of protection

Could be a ps3 update issue now that I think about it cause mine has been doing the same thing as of late prob last 2 or 3 months. Whenever I stream something through the comp to the ps3 almost every time it shuts itself down at one point. and the light flashes red and I have to shut it down manually. It has happened a few times with dvd's as well but not nearly as much
[Image: banner4_zps7ecf2a69.jpg]

also dez bryant,any bama players in bama uni,john parker wilson,jered weaver,matt kemp,topps triple thread stuff,anthony rizzo

I just fixed my Netflix streaming problem. I called Netflix at 1-800-585-7265. I told them the problem happened when I uninstalled and re-installed Netflix. They walked me through some steps to change some settings on the PS3. I then powered off the PS3 and unplugged it for 10 seconds. Since then, I've played a few shows continuously with no problem.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

No idea what's wrong, but after my 1st PS3 died in 2009 I just sold it broken (clearly listed as broken) for something like $150 on Ebay and put the money towards a new one. The person couldn't repair it so they used it for parts. I'm sure you wouldn't get $150 at this point but if it does die you may want to consider the option.