`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSA to BGS Crossovers

PSA to BGS Crossovers
As a long time collector I have always considered PSA to be the standard for grading in the hobby. Those assumptions were based on consensus opinions of other collectors and PSA 9/PSA 10 cards consistently outselling BGS 9/BGS 9.5's on Ebay. Based on my lastest crossover attempt my opinion has changed considerably. I recently attempted to crossover 53 high profile baseball rookies (all PSA 9's) from the years of 1980 to 2000. Here were the results that I received:

3 were bumped to 9.5's (1 with considerable monetary value increase)
28 were graded to still be 9's
11 were downgraded to 8.5's (2 with considerable monetary decreases)
11 did not meet the minumum grade and were not crossed over

The majority of the downgrades were due to low centering subgrades. What did this all mean to me? Simply put that Beckett's standards (especially when it comes to centering) are much higher than PSA. Now I know why I made the switch to Beckett and will no longer conduct business with PSA. I would be interested in knowing anyone elses insights, opinions, or experiences based on this subject matter. Thanks for your time.

RE: PSA to BGS Crossovers
I have never been a fan of PSA due to their holder and oversight on centering. BGS is tougher on their grades and if your card isn't centered you won't see an 8 the way you will with PSA. The reason PSA cards have been selling higher than BGS is the registry. Now that BGS has a registry up and running again I bet you will see those prices flip to where they use to be.
[Image: DEAN%20SMITH%20MICHAEL%20JORDAN%20BANNER...qrwcus.jpg]

good comments, thanks for the info khodgson. i have no experience with PSA yet, and plan to continue with BGS for now.

Out of curiosity, did you submit them still in their PSA slabs or crack the cards out and then submit raw?

I've seen crossovers go both ways. I've had a PSA 9 go to a BGS 10. Like others have said, I prefer the holders with BGS. I'll repeat the previous poster's question though: did you send them in PSA slabs or crack them out? I've had much better luck cracking them out first.
Album: Album

1997 Donruss Preferred Precious Metals
1997 Topps Gallery Gallery of Heroes

(04-25-2013, 08:56 PM)Texan1985 Wrote: I've seen crossovers go both ways. I've had a PSA 9 go to a BGS 10. Like others have said, I prefer the holders with BGS. I'll repeat the previous poster's question though: did you send them in PSA slabs or crack them out? I've had much better luck cracking them out first.

One of the major reasons that I decided to cross over the cards was because the BGS slabs are way better than the PSA ones. In the past I have always cracked the case and sent the card in as raw. The results also tended to go either way but with more downgrades then bumps when I did it that way. This time I actually sent all the card in the original PSA slabs. Based on these results I don't see that leaving them in the slabs really made a difference. I know that with some companies it would make a tremendous difference but I feel that Beckett graded them in a fair and impartial way. Thanks for all your comments.

(04-25-2013, 08:56 PM)Texan1985 Wrote: I've had a PSA 9 go to a BGS 10.
I find this extremely hard to believe. So I don't believe you.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(04-26-2013, 08:35 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: I find this extremely hard to believe. So I don't believe you.
Well, it's definitely true.

(04-26-2013, 02:43 PM)Texan1985 Wrote: Well, it's definitely true.
Rolleyes
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(04-26-2013, 03:11 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: Rolleyes
Unfortunately I can't prove it to you either, as I'd like to. This is not a serial numbered card and has no distinguishing characters like an autograph to prove it is the same card in the PSA 9 slab and BGS 10 slab. Believe me, I was thrilled to have it come back a BGS 10, but I was pretty confident it would at least be a BGS 9.5. My jeweler's loupe normally churns out good results.