Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beware- Ebay 2nd Chance offer scam

Beware- Ebay 2nd Chance offer scam
Posted this to other forums but wanted to get the word out:

This morning I get a second chance offer email, allegedly from eBay. After the initial excitement, I looked over this email better and noticed a few red flags, enough to do some more research. Turns out this has been a pretty common scam recently.

It is a very official looking ebay email but the email address looks a bit off. Also, I was not the next up, card ended at $3200 and i maxed out at $2k so something was off.

In any event, the second chance offer calls out a gmail address (also fishy) and there have been a few variations from what I have read on other forums but always something close to jrengineer70@gmail.com.

It looks like they are able to get private email addresses somehow and are pulling from high dollar auctions with strong bidding activity.

Just wanted to give the community a heads up because it is a pretty good looking scam and wouldn't want to see someone get caught.

RE: Beware- Ebay 2nd Chance offer scam
that's crazy if they were able to figure out the card you were bidding on.

report it to gmail & ebay.
 photo 7dbbff6f-c806-4600-9a7a-188e4785bb3a.jpg

(04-25-2013, 12:49 PM)evanturner12 Wrote: that's crazy if they were able to figure out the card you were bidding on.

report it to gmail & ebay.
It happened on the same auction to another guy on another forum and has happened to others on a prewar baseball forum.

Reporting scam to ebay for sure. The level of information being obtained by the scammer here is scary.

thanks for the heads up

That's terrible news man. Did you report this?

I did. Amazing the kinds of scams people are coming up with. Luckily the scam really falls apart once it comes time to complete the transaction. Someone from another board tried to accept the second chance offer and the seller only offered wire bank transfer, not paypal. Luckily this raised all kinds of flags and he reported it as well.

Shame people need to resort to these tactics.

This happened to me too! I didn't realize it though until I read your post. Thanks for the heads up. It was on a Joe Montana (wrong sport for this thread I know) rookie - high end. Seems like they are targeting the high-end cards. Wow - glad I didn't have the cash to buy it!
Hug it Out...
Smile 
Thanks for the heads up.
http://s555.photobucket.com/albums/jj472/TNESMITH1833/
I’m interested in any Lebron James cards.
[Image: img006.jpg]

I got one too, but didn't follow through because I was like 4th or 5th highest bidder on a 1/1 card. I checked the email and it's from jrengineer70@gmail.com as well. I just reported it to Ebay too. Nice looking scam. I guess if you miss the initial scam, not being able to pay using PayPal should set off some alarm bells anyway.
[Image: Sig_zps7c9cccea.jpg]