`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Super (?) Box updated

RE: Super (?) Box
I bought one of those, I had to look at what I got (no pics sorry).

I got a Warren Spahn Auto (60$ Beckett Value dont remember the card, dont have them on me), a 1978 card (dont remember the player) with a beckett value of 8$ (If I got it graded I would think at least an 8 with great centering), and a 1992 Bowman Mike Piazza RC graded a 9.5 (becket base value for the card is 20$, but grading price is 80$). Overall I was okay with my box break because of the Warren Spahn auto and I needed the Piazza RC.

However, I did a super-pack one last time, I think I paid 75$ or so and all I pulled was a common insert graded 9 of Bryce Harper, which was booked at 20$ base value and 35/30$ on graded value. I was extremely unhappy and called them to complain and they sent me some filler stuff, a couple of base relics/autos, and a few of my favorite team cards. But the box at that time was a bust, and with the added stuff I broke even.
If you start your day saying how it is going to be awesome, it is more than likely going to be disappointing, but if you are Awesome than it is hard not to have an Awesome day.

It looks like their floor for these is about half of the box price in BV. I guess that's a sure way to make a profit, which they are in the business of doing.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

(04-22-2013, 12:29 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Up until now, I was usually pleased with their products and super boxes. Never getting anything major, but always had the feeling that I got my money's worth. Just didn't get that feeling this time.
To be fair though- that's basically the same as breaking wax. If this is the first time you've felt like you did not get your money's worth, that's more than anyone else can say about breaking wax.

On the other hand, one could make the argument that these are not wax. These are hand picked (theoretically) packages and EVERYONE should feel like they got their money's worth EVERY time.

(04-23-2013, 10:19 AM)cross4444 Wrote: It looks like their floor for these is about half of the box price in BV. I guess that's a sure way to make a profit, which they are in the business of doing.
I always want businesses to make money,otherwise they go bye-bye.
But I know that card shops don't pay$50 for a card that books for $50. If they pay half that, it's being generous, but lets give the benefit of doubt here. They could easily put a $50 BV card that costs them $25 in every single pack, fill the rest up with another $30-50 worth of misc cards that cost them less than $25 and everyone is happy. You'd get $100 BV of cards at worst ... They'd make $50 profit at worst and 1000 boxes @$50 is $50K ... Enough to cover the cost of the most expensive Mantle rookie PSA 2.5 card and still bank some good profit. Overhead, advertising, etc, etc, ... There's still money in the profit margin. The numbers crunch even better when real card shop purchasing is actually less than what I figured. Right or wrong?

Oh, and on top of that, they are moving stale inventory that is freeing up cash for more lucrative purchases, so even at worst, at the end of the day, if they break even, they are still moving merchandise and getting fair market value for cards that are selling on eBay for less than 20% BV. It's a win/win since they are choosing what's going into these boxes!

$40-50 BV cards for $100 is unscrupulous and bad for the hobby. Make money, stay in business, but don't screw your loyal customers, even inadvertently. We talk on forums and tell each other these kinds of things. If I was really happy, you'd all be ordering boxes right now. Smile
(04-23-2013, 12:08 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: To be fair though- that's basically the same as breaking wax. If this is the first time you've felt like you did not get your money's worth, that's more than anyone else can say about breaking wax.

On the other hand, one could make the argument that these are not wax. These are hand picked (theoretically) packages and EVERYONE should feel like they got their money's worth EVERY time.
Exactly! I was going to argue the first part, but then your second statement was exactly what I was going to say.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

You're right, with this they're in the business of making ludicrous profits. That's their own fault though, they built a recurring customer out of you then decided to get too greedy. In theory, an upset customer will tell 10 of his/her friends. I think you blew that theory out of the water Smile
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

I think you guys are hitting the nail on the head; this isn't wax. They hand pick what cards are put in the box, and if they even put a $50 card in each box with some filler they can double their money and nobody would complain too much.

(04-23-2013, 12:08 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: To be fair though- that's basically the same as breaking wax. If this is the first time you've felt like you did not get your money's worth, that's more than anyone else can say about breaking wax.
The other difference between this situation and wax ... When Topps puts together their wax boxes, they don't have a price guide for new cards that aren't out in the market. Prices are formulated after WE set the prices WE are paying and certain stores are reporting their sales. Sure Topps knows that certain cards are more valuable, that's why there are case hits and guaranteed box hits. But they don't assign prices.
Sbay placed product in these super boxes fully aware of the current book value and determined what's there and what they're selling it for.... and maybe who is getting what.
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

The Mantle card has not been pulled as of today. There's reported hits of some great cards on their website. The super boxes are 60% sold out.

I went to a little place today that has some Card supplies and $1 grab bags, so I picked up a few Ultra Pro One Touch cases, some team bags and a cardboard box. Had a buck left over and picked a grab bag. I think I almost did better with that than the Super Box. Really! The only thing it was missing was an auto It had a 2002 upper Deck Tim Hudson Relic card, it had a 1972 topps Sal Bando card, a 1967 Topps Dave McNally ... Another 1972 topps (can't remember who and I left'em all at the office) and a bunch of other various cards of varied product and years. A couple of Mattingly cards, a few Griiffeys, etc. I got my money's worth and then some!

(04-24-2013, 09:52 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: The Mantle card has not been pulled as of today. There's reported hits of some great cards on their website. The super boxes are 60% sold out.

I went to a little place today that has some Card supplies and $1 grab bags, so I picked up a few Ultra Pro One Touch cases, some team bags and a cardboard box. Had a buck left over and picked a grab bag. I think I almost did better with that than the Super Box. Really! The only thing it was missing was an auto It had a 2002 upper Deck Tim Hudson Relic card, it had a 1972 topps Sal Bando card, a 1967 Topps Dave McNally ... Another 1972 topps (can't remember who and I left'em all at the office) and a bunch of other various cards of varied product and years. A couple of Mattingly cards, a few Griiffeys, etc. I got my money's worth and then some!
That's cool that your LCS does some nice grab bags. Can't beat that for a buck!
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(04-25-2013, 10:50 PM)uvaspina Wrote: That's cool that your LCS does some nice grab bags. Can't beat that for a buck!
Yeah, although they're not a LCS.
supplies, grab bags, a few old cards, but mostly a comic shop that dabbles. No new product. No packs, no boxes! Sad
But right now, they're the only game in town, and their supplies are fairly priced.
the grab bags are a buck for 100 cards and they usually give you at least 5-10 dollars worth of cards. Usually stuff I don't need, but there's always 10-20 base cards that I use for my PC and an occasional auto or relic card to sweeten the deal!