`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Current Hobby Boxes at Target - What is going on?

Current Hobby Boxes at Target - What is going on?
So I had to pick up a couple of things at Target yesterday after work, so I stopped by the Target near my office and of course had to stop by the cards to see if maybe any more discounted blasters had shown up or something. And I see something really odd. In addition to the Press Pass blasters which are just now coming out, they had some 2013 Press Pass Football Hobby boxes (clearly labeled Hobby).

Since when does Target stock current hobby boxes? Or hobby boxes at all? They also had some 2011 Timeless Treasure, but that has been showing up in discount stores for a while, so not much of a surprise. Even less of a surprise, some one had opened up the Timeless Treasure tins and stole the cards leaving the tins on the shelf.

Now the LCS here doesn't stock Press Pass products so Target having them isn't a problem in that regard. But now that current hobby boxes are showing up at discount stores, that is definitely a worrisome trend for the future of Local Card Shops. It is also worrisome due to the rampant theft issue which is taking place at the discount stores here. Repeatedly, there are boxes which have been opened and emptied sitting on the shelves. But considering that the Timeless Treasure tins were hardly the only product to get looted by people, hobby boxes in Target seems like a bad idea not only due to potential impact on local card shops (after all, while the local card shop I buy my boxes from doesn't stock Press Pass, many other local card shops do stock it) but due to the fact that so many of the cards at Target wind up stolen. Its one thing if the thieves are only stealing lousy rookie premiere Jordan Todman or Michael Egnew jersey cards - putting something actually good on the shelf will just encourage more theivery.

RE: Current Hobby Boxes at Target - What is going on?
I have occasionally seen hobby boxes at Target for the last 15 years. Its rare but does happen. How I do not know lol
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

I saw this at my local Target as well, and thought that it was an error. Tempted me to buy it, but passed on it.

[Image: 5SA2MuI.jpg?2]

http://s274.beta.photobucket.com/user/bu...de%20items - click link for photobucket

DO NOT TRADE LIST:

FREDDYLOVESSHAUNA

(04-12-2013, 09:19 AM)branesergen Wrote: I have occasionally seen hobby boxes at Target for the last 15 years. Its rare but does happen. How I do not know lol
I understand that sometimes older product shows up at the discount stores - and the R&S Longevity is kind of a hobby product - but this is the first time I've seen a new hobby product at a discount store.
(04-12-2013, 04:11 PM)gjhobbs Wrote: I saw this at my local Target as well, and thought that it was an error. Tempted me to buy it, but passed on it.
Since the LCS nearest to me doesn't carry Press Pass products and I like them, I decided to get it since I would have gotten some blasters anyway. Since I got one of the players - and even one of the cards - they had pictured on the box, I did pretty well, I think.

In Alaska there is a small distributor that stocks wally world, freddy's and target. The corporation has little to nothing to do with the selection of cardboard in the store. I've actually met the woman who does the product placement. She was in the process of putting Topps Hobby baseball into the anti-thefty thingamajigs, kind of like the cases they put cough sizzurup, pregnancy tests and mens razors in. It's like soda.

Even sports authority carries blasters here.

I think toysrus is one of the only corporations that does sports cards with out local vendors.

[Image: 1c4478fb-d731-4d9f-ba14-899045a13077_zps5489e52d.jpg]

Meijer still sells some Baseball hobby arounf here. I used to get some great football boxes there years ago. Pacific Heads Up was a great find x2, (the ones with the quad jerseys and actual bobble heads).
[Image: Gdgj0.png]

PhotoBucket

Top 5 Auto Needs
1. Elijah Pitts
2. Oscar Robertson "Big O"
3. Giannis Antetokounmpo "GA34"
4. Aaron Rodgers "A12R"
5. Aaron Rodgers "A8R"

Now I want to go check the local Target and see what they have...I know they are carrying 2012 Absolute racks. 40 for $5. Getting some good cards and only paying about 8 cents on the dollar bv. But I'd spring for a hobby box if they have one.

Walmart also has the rare hobby box. I got a topps 08 hobby box for 29.99 about 2 months ago at my local Wally world