`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the premium for cards graded 9.5 or better?

What is the premium for cards graded 9.5 or better?
I was looking at the graded card prices that Beckett has listed for some football cards plus I did some research on other websites. According to these other websites the graded premiums should be as follows for any given grade:

Gem mint 9.5 or Pristine 10 = 200% over high raw conditional book value

Mint 9 = 150% over high raw book conditional book value

Near Mint+ (8 - 8.5) = 125% over high raw conditional book value

Good (7 - 7.5) = 100% over high book conditional book value

Now based on what these other websites say a 1981 Topps Joe Montana RC with a 9.5 grade should be worth $600.00 ( $200.00 for the conditional raw value high plus 200% premium for the grade) but Beckett has that card in that grade listed at $4,500.00 ($200.00 raw conditional high value plus 2,150% premium for the grade) & this card was not a short print & is included in the base set. The Mint 9 value of this card according to Beckett is $400.00 which is a 100% premium over it's raw mint high book value of $200.00 & Beckett has graded four hundred & nine examples in that condition according to the population report. I am just using this card as an example when it comes to the premium Gem Mint 9.5 graded cards but it seems like Beckett has most of every card in that grade with that kind of premium which IMO is way too high compared to what the other websites say. According to the Beckett population report they have graded sixty - five examples of the 1981 Topps Joe Montana RC Gem Mint 9.5 out of a total of 6,111 that have been submitted.

Full disclosure: I recently had a 2012 Topps Andrew Luck ( scrambling pose) short print RC graded by BGS & it got an overall grade of 9.5 so using what the other sites say for the premium it should be worth $300.00 ( $100.00 high conditional value plus 200% premium for the grade) but if I use Beckett's premium of 2,150% then it would be worth $2,250.00 ( $100.00 high conditional value plus 2,150% for the grade premium). A mint 9 grade of this card using the same 100% premium that Beckett has listed for the 1981 Topps Joe Montana RC graded mint 9 would be worth $200.00. So far according to the Beckett population report they have graded twelve total examples of this card at this point in time (but that is subject to change) with a total of ten of them being Gem Mint 9.5, one being a Mint 9 & one being a Pristine 10 that have been submitted so far. Beckett does not have a graded value listed for this card & I do not have access to PSA or SGC's population reports.

As you guys can clearly see the premium really does play a HUGE role in determining that cards value in ANY given grade & it would help us get a general idea of how much to expect to pay for that card in that grade on ebay, any other auction website or any auction that a collector would attend in person so that we as collectors won't overbid for lack of a better term on a card in a certain grade ( basically putting a bidding cap on the card the collector would be bidding on).
Maybe it's just me but does anybody else wonder what the exact premium is for high end graded cards? I am not looking to sell or trade any of my graded cards at this point in time but I'm just trying to figure out what the premium is on high end graded cards so I'm not complaining, "Bashing" Beckett or saying that they are trying to "Self promote their grading services" or whatever term you guys want to use. I just find this to be HIGHLY questionable based on what these other websites say from a premium standpoint & I know that supply & demand is only part of the equalasion.

RE: What is the premium for cards graded 9.5 or better?
Well the way i look at the value of a card is What someone will pay for it.

The reason for the 81 Montana is because cards from that era were tough grades so getting a 9.5 on a card from the early 80s is at a super premium.

There is not a standard percentage point for high grades inflating price.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

(04-12-2013, 03:37 PM)redsox15fan Wrote: Well the way i look at the value of a card is What someone will pay for it.
That's my thinking....

It really depends on the population report also. I paid $255 for a Jeter RC card that had a population of ony 2 9.5's. None graded higher. That's way over 200% of the raw conditional value of $10

Pristine? Don't ask what I paid for a Pristine Jeter RC thats $20 with a population report of 6 Smile

[Image: Untitled_zpsec8eef53.jpg]

I be collecting BGS Jeter RC's & Tom Seaver (Mets Uniform) Autos/Patches

My PC Bucket.

http://s944.photobucket.com/albums/ad281/mjkata78/

Premiums vary from card desirability, pop report, how often it becomes available etc etc. Also got to take into consideration Beckett Grading is just like their pricing. A $100 card in Beckett can be bought on ebay for $20-$50, bought at a show for $50-$60 and bought at a shop for $60-$100. The same can be said for graded cards. As for your Luck - The newer the card and the rush to get it graded the lower the premium. I'll pay a 100% premium on a 1998 Manning card and only a 10% on a 2011 or 2012 unless the card is prone to condition issues.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(04-12-2013, 11:40 PM)branesergen Wrote: Premiums vary from card desirability, pop report, how often it becomes available etc etc. Also got to take into consideration Beckett Grading is just like their pricing. A $100 card in Beckett can be bought on ebay for $20-$50, bought at a show for $50-$60 and bought at a shop for $60-$100. The same can be said for graded cards. As for your Luck - The newer the card and the rush to get it graded the lower the premium. I'll pay a 100% premium on a 1998 Manning card and only a 10% on a 2011 or 2012 unless the card is prone to condition issues.
My total investment for my Luck card is $75.00 (I bought it in raw condition on ebay for $40.00 before it went up in value from a $75.00 mint high condition value to $100.00 mint high condition value plus $35.00 to have BGS grade it). Like I said I'm not looking to sell or trade it as of now but let's say I was & that I was going to put a reserve price on it meaning that if no one bids that price then the auctionier would pass on it & most sports card sellers on ebay don't use a reserve bid so there's about a 90+% chance a collector won't pay book value. Here is a prime example: I bought a 2012 Topps Doug Martin (running forward) short print RC on ebay for a grand total of $8.00 since the seller didn't put a reserve bid of it's book value & the high raw mint condition is valued at $37.50 according to Beckett (again I'm not complaining about anything).The 10% premium you would pay would not cover the grading fee of in my case $35.00 since 10% of a $100.00 is only $10.00. Based on your own statement you would pay $110.00 at most for a 2012 Topps Andrew Luck (scrambling pose) short print RC in a Beckett 9.5 grade.

The point of this thread is to help collectors who are new to collecting graded cards so they would have a general idea of what the premium would be on any card in any given grade & have a general idea of their graded cards value even if Beckett doesn't have a value listed for their graded card regardless of it's grade since we as collectors set the market price for lack of a better term & Beckett basically averages those prices among various markets that they have access to so it's only fitting that we try to help new collectors in the hobby instead of taking advantage of them.

Based on my own statement I would pay 10% over $40 for your Luck card. Guess I should have clarified the basis of value. To me what im going to pay is already decided by my desire to own the card. Using your Luck card and Martin card I would pay $40 to $50 for the Luck but $15 to $20 for the Martin as I desire the Martin card over the Luck. I cant say its too easy to get a 9.5 of a modern card because its not but in general it really is. Out of 20 Luck cards you can generally believe you'll get half 9.5's whereas with 20 1998 Manning cards i'll most likely only get 4 or 5 hence the premiums i'll pay.

Being new I think you are doing the #1 thing you can do which is research but I think you're putting too much into Becketts stated values. The best thing you can use, and it kills me to say this, is ebay sales. Actual visible sales coupled with book value can help you determine what a cards perceived value is. Ebay is great to buy graded cards but horrible to sell simply because the general collector doesnt put a graded cards true value into consideration. You can get $100 for your Luck card by someone who understands and appreciates what grading can do but you have to find that person and ebays 7 day auctions usually wont find that person.

As for your $35 a card to grade - you need to stop lol I pay $12 a card total (shipping and insurance both ways included) for 20 day service. Save up 10 or so cards and send them in or youre just destroying your own value.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(04-13-2013, 07:13 AM)branesergen Wrote: Based on my own statement I would pay 10% over $40 for your Luck card. Guess I should have clarified the basis of value. To me what im going to pay is already decided by my desire to own the card. Using your Luck card and Martin card I would pay $40 to $50 for the Luck but $15 to $20 for the Martin as I desire the Martin card over the Luck. I cant say its too easy to get a 9.5 of a modern card because its not but in general it really is. Out of 20 Luck cards you can generally believe you'll get half 9.5's whereas with 20 1998 Manning cards i'll most likely only get 4 or 5 hence the premiums i'll pay.

Being new I think you are doing the #1 thing you can do which is research but I think you're putting too much into Becketts stated values. The best thing you can use, and it kills me to say this, is ebay sales. Actual visible sales coupled with book value can help you determine what a cards perceived value is. Ebay is great to buy graded cards but horrible to sell simply because the general collector doesnt put a graded cards true value into consideration. You can get $100 for your Luck card by someone who understands and appreciates what grading can do but you have to find that person and ebays 7 day auctions usually wont find that person.

As for your $35 a card to grade - you need to stop lol I pay $12 a card total (shipping and insurance both ways included) for 20 day service. Save up 10 or so cards and send them in or youre just destroying your own value.
I'm not new to sports card collecting but I am new to graded card collecting now that Beckett has a registry it's just a matter of time until they start having contests & I will get more of my cards graded. Now as for you buying a graded 2012 Topps Andrew Luck (scrambling pose) short print RC already graded a Beckett 9.5 good luck finding one for $40.00 - $50.00 ( the cheapest one's I've seen on ebay recently was like $100.00 - $160.00) but you could find the raw version of that card or the graded 9.5 version of the base 2012 Topps Andrew Luck RC for $40.00 - $50.00 or higher & send it in your next grading order. You have to remember that for the 2012 Topps regular set they made four different versions of the Andrew Luck RC ( the regular base card, the factory short print, the scrambling pose short print & lastly the rabbit's foot short print) I have all of them except the rabbit's foot version but so far I've only have the scrambling pose RC graded. I would send 10 or more cards but very rarely do I ever get any "Big hits" that are worth grading unless I seriously check ebay or any other auction site so it would take me many years to come up with that many since I really don't have enough time to check all of the auction sites.Some auctions on ebay last for a month but if I were to sell my card I would go to Christy's or another major auction house & put a reserve price of the graded book value on the card so that I would be guaranteed a profit on it but like I've said I'm not trying to sell or trade my card right now.

I just checked ebay sales & there was only two that have been sold of the 2012 Topps Andrew Luck (scrambling pose) short print RC for a combined total of $315.00 as of January of this year ( this is as far back as ebay would let me look) so using only those two examples the average value is $157.50 or a 57% premium over the high raw mint $100.00 Beckett value but I don't really have enough information to get a better idea of the premium in various markets yet. So just using the $157.50 as a base book value if I were to sell my card my reserve price would be $157.50 so anything above that would be my profit but as I stated I'm not looking to sell or trade my card at this point in time.

Like others have said, there is no simple premium for graded cards. The year, set, population report, player, etc all play a role in the premium and it varies greatly.
Album: Album

1997 Donruss Preferred Precious Metals
1997 Topps Gallery Gallery of Heroes

As a few others have said, there is no set % that you can put over "book value" for a graded card. High grade cards like BGS 9.5 and 10 and PSA 10's generally command much larger premium than do grades that are lower. For most modern cards (2000 and after) if you don't get at least a 9 you are probably not increasing the value of your card by grading it. Even a 9 would likely gain only a small premium over BV as most modern sets have good production and are not particularly condition sensitive.

The value of the card is what somebody is willing to pay for it. The reason the Montana card commands such a premium is because it is rare to find the card in that condition. As you stated, there are 6,111 BGS graded 1981 Montana's and only 65 BGS 9.5's. This means those 65 BGS's represent the top 1% of BGS graded examples of those cards and that 99% (or 6046) of the other graded cards are considered to be in worse condition than the 9.5.

In comparison, your Luck is one of 10 other BGS 9.5's with one other 10 and one other 9. This means that there is only one card graded in lower condition than yours and that a 9.5 falls in the top 91% of graded examples of that card. That means while there are only 10 of your cards compared to 65 of the Montana's, the Montana is significantly harder to find in Gem Mint condition. As any 9.5 Montana represents the top 1% of cards in that grade, while the modern Luck represents 91% of the cards graded so far. That is why the Luck card will not command the same premium as the Montana.

Typically the older the card, the higher the premium placed on higher grade cards. When I want to know what a card is worth I generally look at Ebay sold prices for an idea of what a card is worth as Book Value tends to over state the value of ungraded cards (in most cases) and with graded cards can often over value or under value the card depending on the graded cards relative rarity.