Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to vintage... Advice?

New to vintage... Advice?
Hi All,

I got back into collecting last year and went on a Cespedes spree... That mission is almost done, and frankly I don't know if I have it in my to collect another player and hunt down 10 different parallels of the same card, each one getting increasingly more expensive.

Starting to get into the vintage cards as I like the simplicity and coolness of them.

I guess the advice I am looking for is comparing graded/ungraded cards and where to put my money. I am on a pretty tight budget for the hobby, $100-$200 a month, with the hopes of getting 2-3 cards I like (Or 1 that I really like) per month, so any high graded PSA cards are really out of the question. Based on what I've seen, I will likely be buying cards in the PSA 4-6 range if I go graded, or I will be buying ungraded that appeal to my eye (Good color, no creases, corners in reasonable shape...)

I picked up these two on Ebay today....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261194964108?ssP...1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290891549691?ssP...1497.l2649

Am I better off shelling out the extra dough for PSA graded in this lower range of condition?

PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

RE: New to vintage... Advice?
Nice pick ups
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

(04-08-2013, 07:20 AM)elberson Wrote: Nice pick ups
Thanks... I particularly like the '54.

just on an eyeball test, where do you think these would score with PSA? 4ish?

PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.

Around that.
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

Nice Yogi pickups.

For PSA/Graded cards, the 4 to 6 grade range is often equal to the similar raw condition price range for VGEX to EXMT. Try not pay above raw condition price for graded cards in that range (although there will be exceptions).

In the case of say Berra, I would approach it one card at a time to figure out where the best value is, in either raw or graded. You may already do this, but before buying on eBay, always do an advanced search to see the most sales prices.

Not to pee in the punch but I have give a warning about vintage raw since you're newer to it . . . Personally, I like to have raw cards in my hand before purchase but when not an option, buy from a dealer that guarantees your purchase. Beware of trimmed cards, usually advertised as EXMT or higher with very sharp corners showing no edge wear. A simple test is to run your finger lightly on the edges . . . if there is the slightest roughness or friction to the touch, it's good. If your finger slides across too smoothly, almost like the edge of a credit card, it's suspect.

Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

(04-08-2013, 05:45 PM)coimbre 21 Wrote: Nice Yogi pickups.

For PSA/Graded cards, the 4 to 6 grade range is often equal to the similar raw condition price range for VGEX to EXMT. Try not pay above raw condition price for graded cards in that range (although there will be exceptions).
Right on... Thanks for the tips! Very helpful!

First off awesome Berras! You got a real bargain on those! Now for grading, it matters if you plan on selling it in the recent future, or you really just want to add them to your collection. My advice is to just buy raw cards, or if you wanna go PSA buy like 4 and 5s because they will be cheaper, or if you may be interesting in selling them shell out the dough and buy the 8s and 9s Smile

(04-09-2013, 09:46 AM)The_Baseball_Fan Wrote: First off awesome Berras! You got a real bargain on those! Now for grading, it matters if you plan on selling it in the recent future, or you really just want to add them to your collection. My advice is to just buy raw cards, or if you wanna go PSA buy like 4 and 5s because they will be cheaper, or if you may be interesting in selling them shell out the dough and buy the 8s and 9s Smile
Thanks! Great to hear that my first steps into vintage were not off-base. I got into a bit of an impulsive bidding war on the '63, but was love the look of the year and was intrigued by the C/Coach designation on the card... After the purchase of the '63 at that price, I figured the '54 was a steal...

A huge part of it is the enjoyment... However, with that being said, I certainly want to make the best investment possible on my budget! I am looking to collect vintage for my own enjoyment, and also to school my son and daughter on the game of baseball... I am hoping that my purchases at least cover the rate of inflation by the time I turn them over to them in their late adult years!

If wondering about pricing..use VCP (vintage card pricing) guide. and check the SMR (by PSA)
it helps a lot. Always do a complete search for prices on Ebay. There is a trick too. Use .CA on the link on some of the searches where the final price is not showing.
Be careful of reprints/fakes out there. My best bet if unsure, is to post pic/link before buying and ask the buyer questions beforehand. DOnt fall for those trap that was handed down from grandpa or was a basement find and such.

I dont visit here as much, as i directed myself to SGC and using Net54 and found a lot of folks and reading material. Search the forums on past threads. Its mainly vintage. but there a group for post-war stuff.
Collecting ROOKIE CARDS 40-60's, 25 Gehrig, fancraze-wagner

(04-12-2013, 05:15 PM)pawpawdiv9 Wrote: If wondering about pricing..use VCP (vintage card pricing) guide. and check the SMR (by PSA)
it helps a lot. Always do a complete search for prices on Ebay. There is a trick too. Use .CA on the link on some of the searches where the final price is not showing.
Be careful of reprints/fakes out there. My best bet if unsure, is to post pic/link before buying and ask the buyer questions beforehand. DOnt fall for those trap that was handed down from grandpa or was a basement find and such.

I dont visit here as much, as i directed myself to SGC and using Net54 and found a lot of folks and reading material. Search the forums on past threads. Its mainly vintage. but there a group for post-war stuff.
Thanks... I checked them both out... I'm not ready to subscribe to another paid site, especially for vintage (just beginning), but the PSA SMR is helpful... and seems like a very realistic price guide for graded cards.

I checked the first few links on net54 and saw a post on spotting a fraudulent 52 topps Mantle card on Ebay... Seems like an amazing resource! I found a few cards that I REALLY like and are in the 60-$150 range in PSA 6-8... After I gather those up I may start looking upwards, at which point I will definitely make use of those resources!

Your input is greatly appreciated.