`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I the only one that thinks this is stupid?

Am I the only one that thinks this is stupid?
Why do people list items as 1/1 if it is not a 1/1. If you are going to say a card is 1/1 because it was the last one made or the first one made then wouldn't that make every single card in that print run a 1/1?? I mean there is only 1 card for each print # so wouldn't that make them all 1/1 using this theory. I guess I understand if there is a large print run, maybe /250 and up or maybe for a players JSY #.... but it seems kind of senseless to claim a card #ed/10 is a 1/1 because it is the first one printed..... I feel if a card is already low #ed then it really doesn't make a difference if you got the first one printed or the last..... Maybe it's just me but I'm tired of sellers trying to get more out of a card then what it is worth just because of the specific print #.... its hard enough to find some of these cards as it without having to worry about paying an extra $100 because it is 1/10 instead of 2/10.....

Not trying to attack or hate on anyone's pricing strategy it just seems to me like another way to milk money out people.......
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]

RE: Am I the only one that thinks this is stupid?
I have often wondered about this for years too. It really bothers me that people put false claims on cards or other products for that matter. I think people do it to try and trick the uneducated people. If people are just getting into collecting and are after a certain player, they might see a "1/1" card and buy it. It just seems dishonest to me. Although they can claim their auction however they want, I always skip over those auctions. I sometimes want to message the person and ask them why they put what they did just to see what their response is. Some people might truly think it is a 1/1 though. But as you mentioned, any serial numbered card can be turned into a "1/1." Any number can be equated into some type of "1/1." I do not know if I am the only one, but personally I think it would hurt their chances of selling the card for higher because most people will not even bother with the auction once they see it isnt a true 1/1. The only type of serial numbered card that I could possibly see going higher than normal is a card with the players jersey number. I personally think this would be cool, but would never claim it as a 1/1.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

I think that the biggest thing is more that they use the "1/1" term for the auction search manipulation more than thinking they might get more out of it. I would say that a numbered-to-jersey cards carry a premium and might be a little bit closer to a "1/1", but for first, last, underwear-size, etc. to be listed as a "1/1" is ridiculous.
Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (100+ auctions)
Int'l/player INVENTORY: http://www.hobbydisplay.com/geonut/

i think its a cool novelty to pull a card that is the first or very last one made, but i dont consider it a 1/1 either and think its a sad trick to make people pay a bit extra.

i agree though about maybe a small bump if the number of the card made matches the number of the player on the card, or if the patch is downright pure eye candy. but even then i dont consider them 1/1's.

a 1/1 is the only 1 lol, and thats all their is to say about it. some people need to be educated.
[Image: LqvsVQD.png]

I'm glad I'm not the only one lol. It seems like I've been running into this a lot more lately and it's irritating as hell.

oh just wait, im bout to post about something that has driven me crazy for a good month now. not too different than what you are talking about.
[Image: LqvsVQD.png]

(04-04-2013, 04:54 PM)odditycards Wrote: I think that the biggest thing is more that they use the "1/1" term for the auction search manipulation more than thinking they might get more out of it. I would say that a numbered-to-jersey cards carry a premium and might be a little bit closer to a "1/1", but for first, last, underwear-size, etc. to be listed as a "1/1" is ridiculous.
This is a really good point. My putting 1/1 in the title it might get more traffic. My favorite is "michael jordan insert non auto non patch." They arent lying but still bothers me.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

I pee on my cards before I post them as a 1/1. I defy any of you to find the same card in your collection with my urine on it!
I am a Larry Bird QUANTITY collector first and foremost. Also K-Love.[Image: Birdbannergraded.jpg]

Kinda like when someone puts "non auto"...

When a buyer searches for auto in the search engine everything under auto comes up...lol

Nothing like a false sense of "false advertising"...lol

how about when there is another actual #1/1 out there? I have a 2012 Topps Triple Threads White Whale Dave Winfield, Patch Auto that is actually serial numbered 1/1, and when I looked online, there was another 2012 Topps Triple Threads White Whale Dave Winfiled Patch Auto #1/1...that WASN'T mine. Same picture and same word on the card too, but the patch swatches were a little different.

So really, there may be more than one 1/1...quite stupid.