Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to collecting hockey cards

New to collecting hockey cards
Hello everyone!

I recently started to collect hockey cards at the start of of the NHL season. I bought hockey cards during the 90s here and there, but never collected cards/sets "seriously".

I subscribed to Beckett and searched all over the web for 2012-13 hockey cards and what is "hot" right now. I was surprised to see most hockey cards packs to be 4$,5$, and 10$ a pack! I remember buying packs for 1$ or 2$ and could find some really nice inserts. I searched for something cheap to start with and found 2012-13 Score series by Panini. In the last 3 months, I bought 6 boxes from different 3 shops (30 bucks each). I don't know if everyone who bought boxes from that series had the same luck as me, but I only managed to score 3 "Check-it" inserts, no #'d cards. I guess that's what you get for 85 cents a pack Tongue

I also noticed some the cards are missing ink on the top corners. Is this common for this set?

So, a bit disappointed with my cards, I went with something a bit more valuable. I bought a blaster box of 2012-13 Artifacts for 20 bucks and managed to get a Rookie Redemption card Smile Pretty happy with that find, I went to my local shop to buy more Artifacts. 5 minutes before I went in, some guy bought the last 30 hobby boxes and was unpacking them :S I went for 2 retail boxes instead and managed to get some really nice cards (I'll post a thread about my box breaks later). Right there I saw the difference between a less than 1$ pack and a 4$ pack (quality of the card, value etc.) I hope to find some more insert cards from this set!

Is anyone else collecting cards from Artifacts? Is it worth buying packs/boxes of Artifacts or was I just lucky with my finds? Tongue

RE: New to collecting hockey cards
I loved artifacts this year. Word of advice, don't buy the blasters or retail packs. Keep to the hobby stuff! Welcome!

Welcome to the site...this is a very close knit community on this site and there is alot of experience amongst the members here. Also this site has formed some very good friendships as well. I welcome you to the boards...and hopefully youll be able to experience the best that these boards have to offer.

GO PENS!
Joe Vitale PC- 104/125= 83% 0 - INCOMING

TRADERS: http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u317/...5/TRADERS/

GAME WORN SITE: http://www.theigloolockerroom.com/

[Image: hughbanner001.png]

Welcome to the boards, there is a wealth of information here don't be afraid to ask.

SET COLLECTOR, RYAN SMYTH, BOBBY ORR AND MARTIN ST. LOUIS

Welcome to the site! As pens fan addict said, and the rest followed, there is a wealth of knowledge here that will surely help you along your way! If you ever need a hand with anything, just ask and your answers will come. If I can do anything for you, please do not hesitate to ask. Best wishes!

Randi

Thank you everyone.

Agreed, welcome to the site... new blood is always a plus. Keep in mind that pens fan is a Penguins Fan, so don't hold that against him Smile