`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Grading Questions

Grading Questions
You know how some Chrome/Finest cards come a little bent out of the pack? Not so much bent, but the cards are curved a bit. Has anyone sent any cards like this in for grading, and does it affect the score?? Should i try and flatten it on my own before grading??

Also i have a Kobe Bryant Flair RC, where it looks like the there is a split in the rainbow color / refractor style. See pic below. Would this cause a lower grade?

Thanks!

[Image: photo_zps42853475.jpg]

RE: Grading Questions
I know what you mean by the card curvature, and I have not tried getting one graded yet, but for some reason I feel like that shouldn't be a big factor. Especially since the card will be flattened and stay that way for the rest of eternity once slabbed.

I've actually always wanted to know the answer to this question. I assume it wouldn't effect the grade, since it's caused by the manufacturing process (I assume? lol). But I've been wrong before!
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

The curve of a topps chrome or finest will not affect the grade. That refractor line you have in the Kobe will. It is considered a defect in the printing process and will lower your surface grade.

These are based on my experiences with grading about 100-150 cards.
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

(03-28-2013, 11:23 PM)briankort Wrote: The curve of a topps chrome or finest will not affect the grade. That refractor line you have in the Kobe will. It is considered a defect in the printing process and will lower your surface grade.

These are based on my experiences with grading about 100-150 cards.
+1
A curve in the card will not affect the grade. If the card is bent or dinged, it will definitely hurt the grade. Unfortunately that surface defect will hurt your overall grade. If you don't plan on keeping the card, I wouldn't get it graded. Another collector said it best, if you can notice an issue with a card, Beckett will definitely notice it.
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

I gotcha. Thanks for the help guys. I got a awesome Lebron Topps Contemporary Collection RC, and it has quite the curve to it. Flawless condition other than that. Even in a case of extreme curving, you don't feel it would be affected?

Thanks again.

Hopefully this scan will put your fears to rest Smile I pack pulled the MJ mirror image refractor about a year ago with a pretty significant curvature to it, graded out just fine! Only reason the surface got a 9 was because it was a little tacky from having been in the pack for 15 years or so.

[Image: MJ95s001.jpg]
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

Sweet, thanks for your help. I'll have to send it in. Would look awesome in a bgs 9.5 slab.