Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did you get into collecting?

RE: How did you get into collecting?
[quote='petesahuttt' pid='2254115' dateline='1364365084']

The boy has a boyfriend Smile
[/quote

I think you have the wrong forum.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

In 1986, our neighborhood had a block party. They had games for the kids and i won a couple of large packs of 1986 topps. After that, I found that I enjoyed organizing and just plain looking at them. Being a kid, I didn't have a lot of opportunities to pick up many more cards that year (and never really bought many other 1986 Topps cards after that), so I can pretty much narrow it down to the first 50 or so cards I ever picked up (and which I still have). After that, my dad would bring me home a pack of cards every now and then, and whenever I'd have a dollar or two, I'd buy a pack of Topps (and sometimes a pack of Garbage Pail Kids cards, which I'd have to hide from my mom). As I got a little older (8+), I started riding my bike to a card shop about a mile away where I would buy singles of Matt Nokes and Steve Searcy (and other Tigers). In elementary school--around age 8 or 9--I started trading with some friends. My dad made me a "trade box" (to store my "hard case cards") out of a wooden cigar box with little sectioned compartments. I stored my best tradeable cards in there and would bring it to my friends' houses when we'd do trading. When i was 15 or so, i stopped trading, and even collecting for that matter. Started back up a few years ago. -It's funny when I go back to my old room at my parents' house because my room is exactly the way I left it when I was 18, including my baseball cards that are organized in a way that only my 10 year old self could ever understand.
(03-27-2013, 07:10 AM)Blury1 Wrote: When I was nine mt dad had a friend who gave me a whole box of cards then I was hooked me and my stepmother would go and buy packs at Kmart every week she even started to collect cards with me she was saving them for my little half brother then I quit in high school then three years ago we were at Dave and busters and had won a bunch of tickets I saw a stiener Jason Kidd autographed basketball got like 80,000 tickets so I got that them i started to look for things on ebay and found all theses jersey cards and autos i never even knew exsistedand now I'm hooked more than every I've added thousands of cards and prop a hundred autos since then I'm hooked for life I enjoy collecting more than ever
When I was a teenager in the 90s, the Dave and Busters near my town had a couple of nice autographed baseballs, including a Nolan Ryan, Will Clark, and Barry Larkin, if I remember correctly. Well, my brother and I went on an absolute tear (over a couple family visits) and accumulated THOUSANDS of tickets, which, in turn, we dunked in water to make them heavier (because they had a scale that they weighed the tickets with). When we finally scrounged enough tickets to buy that Nolan Ryan ball (which we still have) you would've been hard pressed to find two prouder human beings roaming the planet at that moment.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

My dad had season tickets to the A's from 86-92. 1st baseline row 6. I only saw my dad every other weekend, but if the A's were in town, that's where we were...

Got the start buying the overpriced A's 1990 team sets at the ballpark with my allowance... Started collecting from there. Hacking weeds for $2 an hour and asking repeatedly to take me to the card shop...

Trading with other kids was what got me hooked. I would look for who was hot... Todd Van Poppel (Sp?), J.T. Snow when he hit 10 or so jacks in his first real season, Brian Taylor (1992?) rc etc anyone with an up arrow... and try and hustle for the bigger cards.

I still remember my best trades/purchases... 2 todd van pop's topps rc's for a barry sanders score rc... the purchase of two jerry rice Rc's for $5 a pop around 91 at a card shop in tahoe... Hell, I even hosted a poker game at my school's soccer field in which I cheated for a Roberto Alomar RC...

I won't mention my bad trades...

The return to collecting came from the oakland a's finally committing to a player... I've been a die-hard since I was 6... The signing of Cespedes was a commitment to winning in my book... 4 years for 36 is Angel Pagan status across the bay! I waited to see the product on the field to make sure that he was not Wily Mo Pena, but after I saw him make the necessary adjustments and hit breaking balls 350 feet on the incline by the time they reached a destination...

Cespedes will be AL MVP, sans injury, by the time his contract is done... With a healthy rotation, we will have a WS appearance AT MINIMUM

PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

Jerry Rice rookies for $5...Is that shop still in business? LOL. I couldn't find those for less than $40 when I was a kid. I bought mine as an adult. I paid $50 for it. But its MINT!!!! I may get it graded.
(03-28-2013, 02:02 AM)petillo64 Wrote: My dad had season tickets to the A's from 86-92. 1st baseline row 6. I only saw my dad every other weekend, but if the A's were in town, that's where we were...

Got the start buying the overpriced A's 1990 team sets at the ballpark with my allowance... Started collecting from there. Hacking weeds for $2 an hour and asking repeatedly to take me to the card shop...

Trading with other kids was what got me hooked. I would look for who was hot... Todd Van Poppel (Sp?), J.T. Snow when he hit 10 or so jacks in his first real season, Brian Taylor (1992?) rc etc anyone with an up arrow... and try and hustle for the bigger cards.

I still remember my best trades/purchases... 2 todd van pop's topps rc's for a barry sanders score rc... the purchase of two jerry rice Rc's for $5 a pop around 91 at a card shop in tahoe... Hell, I even hosted a poker game at my school's soccer field in which I cheated for a Roberto Alomar RC...

I won't mention my bad trades...

The return to collecting came from the oakland a's finally committing to a player... I've been a die-hard since I was 6... The signing of Cespedes was a commitment to winning in my book... 4 years for 36 is Angel Pagan status across the bay! I waited to see the product on the field to make sure that he was not Wily Mo Pena, but after I saw him make the necessary adjustments and hit breaking balls 350 feet on the incline by the time they reached a destination...

Cespedes will be AL MVP, sans injury, by the time his contract is done... With a healthy rotation, we will have a WS appearance AT MINIMUM

I was reading and watching about baseball so the sport had me hooked before the hobby did. I would go with my Dad when he would buy his cigarettes (which ended up killing him) and lottery tickets on the weekend and saw a 1985 Topps Box at the counter. I don't actually remember if I got them on the spot or if he bought them for me later but he knew I wanted them and I got them. He collected as a kid and would talk to me about Mantle, Mays, Snider, Clemente...the guys who he collected as a kid and how my Grandmother threw them out when he went to Vietnam. Baseball and baseball cards were the first things I really remember us connecting on which is why the sport and hobby will always be special to me. I don't open a single pack without thinking of him and always smile when walking into Citizens Bank Park (Phillies Ballpark) because he helped build it.