`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Box sets

Box sets
My dad started buying me the box sets from about 1985 to 1992 (approximately) as an investment and I was wondering if I were to sell them, would I do better opening the sets and selling them as individual cards ( I know there were some pretty impressive RCs in there containing HOF'ers and future HOF or sell them as the unopened box set they're currently in?

Jay Parker

RE: Box sets
That all depends but I would think a sealed set from the 80's would be worth more than selling singles, but if you open the sets you may want to look into having the cards graded if they are in mint condition. The main issue you may have with the singles would be the centering of the cards. Every factory set I have ever seen from 80's...the cards had razor sharp corners and were mint, but the centering was a problem. It may be better to sell them as sealed sets. But if for instance you open the 1985 set and the Clemens in mint and you have it graded and its a 9 or better you would prob make more selling singles. But you would have to put money into them having them graded.

(03-26-2013, 11:44 AM)jay45601 Wrote: My dad started buying me the box sets from about 1985 to 1992 (approximately) as an investment and I was wondering if I were to sell them, would I do better opening the sets and selling them as individual cards ( I know there were some pretty impressive RCs in there containing HOF'ers and future HOF or sell them as the unopened box set they're currently in?

Jay Parker
Real good question!
I think that there were many people that bought the factory sets along with your dad for the same reason. Not sure that their value has appreciated as anticipated. But I agree with Joba ... A small investment in grading the right card could be the answer, but it's a gamble for sure. The only set that I recall increasing in value was the 1989 upper deck factory set with Junior's rookie card helping to keep that set elevated in price. Other than that, I'd check eBay for current sale prices and use that as an indicator! Good luck!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(03-28-2013, 08:27 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Real good question!
I think that there were many people that bought the factory sets along with your dad for the same reason. Not sure that their value has appreciated as anticipated. But I agree with Joba ... A small investment in grading the right card could be the answer, but it's a gamble for sure. The only set that I recall increasing in value was the 1989 upper deck factory set with Junior's rookie card helping to keep that set elevated in price. Other than that, I'd check eBay for current sale prices and use that as an indicator! Good luck!
Thanks guys I really appreciate your opinions on this matter. I'm getting close to the age where I can retire shortly and could use the money for other ventures. Seems like every time I make a big cross country move, these Boxes account for some of the weight. So if I get them appraised, I can know for sure if a card was cut properly and has sharp corners to be sold individually. I have one question more. Suppose to sell the big money cards out of the box, what do you do with the rest of the cards?

Jay Parker

Hi -most of the common cards aren't worth anything - I took several thousand and donated the a local children's hospital and they use them for crafts
Royals Super Collector; PC's of Paul Splittorff, George Brett, Mike Sweeney

(03-30-2013, 08:57 AM)jay45601 Wrote: I have one question more. Suppose to sell the big money cards out of the box, what do you do with the rest of the cards?

Jay Parker
Do you have a birdcage? Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.