`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Which would you rather have?

Which would you rather have?
I PC Kobe and I've been wanting to pick up a Topps Chrome rc for awhile. I don't always have that kind of money so I've been thinking about possibly selling some of my Kobe PC to pick one up. My top Kobe in my collection is the 1996-97 Precious Metal.

So my question is, if you PC'd kobe (or do) which would you rather have. Pros/Cons of each things like that.

His raw TC rookie (not mine):

[Image: IMG_2362.jpg]

Or the Precious Metal (mine):
[Image: MetalPreciousRC.jpg]

I welcome all comments and opinions Smile
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

RE: Which would you rather have?
Hmm...that's a rough "either or" question. I've considered selling some of my lower-end MJs to pick up nicer ones, but I wouldn't want to get rid of a really nice just to get another really nice one, so if it were me I'd keep the precious metal.

You can always go to gcxonline.com. They sell 96-97 topps chrome by the pack. It's $50/pack. Serious gamble, but ya never know!
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

I think that his Topps Chrome RC will always hold value and possibly go up. All of the nice cool inserts a re nice to have and sought after by collectors but value will fluctuate with the market.

My Goal as a collector of any player would be to get his best true RC over any other card and then probably a nice AUTO. The Topps Chrome is it. I wanted PSA 10 and didn't want to spend 500 bones so I went with his second best true RC, Topps Finest.

(I don't consider refractor's, parallels and other Rookie year inserts as true RC's)
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

I personally like the Metal more from an instant visual appeal point of view. Also, considering that you will surely have the regular Topps RC as well, the Chrome RC is in a way a visual duplicate of that, just with a different finishing.

Value-wise I have no clue.

I would go with the chrome rookie because I chose to chase the rookies over the high end inserts. That being said the pm is a great card to own.
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q728...232c31.jpg

I am typically a fast shipper and I ALWAYS use Delivery confirmation. Sometimes I forget to provide the number.

keep the pm and make other arrangements to pick up a chrome rookie.
[Image: LqvsVQD.png]

If it's a must and you have a chance to trade the Precious Metal for the Topps Chrome one for one I'd say go for it. (This is assuming you pulled the PM and didnt buy it close to BV.)

Personally I'd hold on to the PM and find another way to acquire the Topps Chrome.
It all depends on what your PC goals are.

I got lucky with both cards because I was patient and didnt rush into buying a card at a high price just becuase it was on my wishlist. I picked up the PM for $85 and the Topps Chrome for $150, both raw. And can you believe my luck, both came back with a BGS 9.

Good luck in your search for the Topps Chrome!
BTW the BV just went up on the Precious Metal.

The Chrome RC is the best Kobe out there in my opinion. That said, if you collect Kobe and know you are going to want the PM at some point I would hold on to it and save for the Chrome. The Chrome is by no means a tough card to find, especially if you are not hunting down a BGS 9.5 or 10. Even then a 9.5 is readily available if you have the funds.

Bro I'd go with the Chrome 100%... It was, is, and always will be THE Kobe card to own! I plan to hopefully before the year is up pick up a BGS 10 Kobe Chrome RC... I don't PC Kobe, but have always been a huge fan & I already know if I want to have just one Kobe in my collection it MUST be the Chrome! It's a legendary card that can only appreciate long term!

(03-22-2013, 10:31 AM)buckunteer Wrote: Hmm...that's a rough "either or" question. I've considered selling some of my lower-end MJs to pick up nicer ones, but I wouldn't want to get rid of a really nice just to get another really nice one, so if it were me I'd keep the precious metal.

You can always go to gcxonline.com. They sell 96-97 topps chrome by the pack. It's $50/pack. Serious gamble, but ya never know!
Ya I'm in the pickle that I can sell several that arent as nice to pick up the Chrome or just sell this one and come close to being able to get one. And you know I dont have the gamblers fever enough to hit these up for $50 a pack Smile
(03-22-2013, 10:40 AM)briankort Wrote: I think that his Topps Chrome RC will always hold value and possibly go up. All of the nice cool inserts a re nice to have and sought after by collectors but value will fluctuate with the market.

My Goal as a collector of any player would be to get his best true RC over any other card and then probably a nice AUTO. The Topps Chrome is it. I wanted PSA 10 and didn't want to spend 500 bones so I went with his second best true RC, Topps Finest.

(I don't consider refractor's, parallels and other Rookie year inserts as true RC's)
Yup I agree it is the cornerstone of his RC cards. I have all of them but this one so it's that one missing piece to my Kobe RC collection. I know I dont have the cash to go after a PSA10 or BGS 9.5 unfortunatly Sad
(03-22-2013, 10:56 AM)folkertino Wrote: I personally like the Metal more from an instant visual appeal point of view. Also, considering that you will surely have the regular Topps RC as well, the Chrome RC is in a way a visual duplicate of that, just with a different finishing.

Value-wise I have no clue.
Completely agree that the Precious Metal looks so much nicer, but it doesnt have the same industry buzz as the Chrome RC does for sure.
(03-22-2013, 11:09 AM)JMarchand1981 Wrote: I would go with the chrome rookie because I chose to chase the rookies over the high end inserts. That being said the pm is a great card to own.
Ya, this is the first time I've really contemplated selling the PM, it's probably the card in my Kobe collection that does have the most sentimental value to me, not sure if getting the Chrome would compensate for the lost sentiment.
(03-22-2013, 01:36 PM)sonic311 Wrote: If it's a must and you have a chance to trade the Precious Metal for the Topps Chrome one for one I'd say go for it. (This is assuming you pulled the PM and didnt buy it close to BV.)

Personally I'd hold on to the PM and find another way to acquire the Topps Chrome.
It all depends on what your PC goals are.

I got lucky with both cards because I was patient and didnt rush into buying a card at a high price just becuase it was on my wishlist. I picked up the PM for $85 and the Topps Chrome for $150, both raw. And can you believe my luck, both came back with a BGS 9.

Good luck in your search for the Topps Chrome!
BTW the BV just went up on the Precious Metal.
I agree a trade straight up does make sense with the potential for the Chrome to be worth far more in the future due to it being "the one" as far as Kobe rcs are concerned.

Nice scores on the prices you got yours for...Rather strange how I got mine. Bought a large lots of Kobe RC year cards off ebay 10 or so years ago, I believe the seller had no clue they had this mixed in with them. Wasnt in the picture for the auction or anything. I stached my card away when I went to college and didn't even realize it, so you can imagine my amazement when I moved my card collection to my new home and started looking through it again about 5 years ago Smile
(03-22-2013, 02:00 PM)user_3n5kp Wrote: The Chrome RC is the best Kobe out there in my opinion. That said, if you collect Kobe and know you are going to want the PM at some point I would hold on to it and save for the Chrome. The Chrome is by no means a tough card to find, especially if you are not hunting down a BGS 9.5 or 10. Even then a 9.5 is readily available if you have the funds.
I really do like the PM and I'd say it is the cornerstone of my Kobe collection, if only it were green.....but yup they didnt decide to do that till the next year. I'd have a new car if that was the case Smile
(03-22-2013, 04:15 PM)bengu Wrote: Bro I'd go with the Chrome 100%... It was, is, and always will be THE Kobe card to own! I plan to hopefully before the year is up pick up a BGS 10 Kobe Chrome RC... I don't PC Kobe, but have always been a huge fan & I already know if I want to have just one Kobe in my collection it MUST be the Chrome! It's a legendary card that can only appreciate long term!
Dang BGS10 that would be a very nice addition...I'd have to agree that the CAGR on this thing will remain positive, might have some dips here and there but thats how pretty much any card fluctuates.
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65