`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Idea On Game Used Mem.

An Idea On Game Used Mem.
Okay, so we all know what its like to open a pack and get a cool patch or jersey card of your favorite player or team, or in my case, a guy i never really heard of. I think most of the bigger companies in most sports have tried something to this idea, but what I would love to see, especially in a set such as Bowman Draft or base Bowman, with all the prospects and draft picks and so on, to instead of inserting cards with a piece of 1" x 1" mem, bat jersey ball take your pick, I would much rather see a company insert redemption cards ( for players they have product on hand of)!

The reason why prospect based sets would be much more realistic, is the cost to the company,
Inserted less often maybe but these are examples Id love to see,

Game Used Hat/ Signed
Game Used Ball Duo, Say Pitcher/Hitter from Opposite farm clubs.
Game Used Bats maybe 1/1?
Full Jerseys, maybe BP or Spring Jerseys,

And to have something like this hit in every 16-24 boxes of say Bowman Draft instead of these Future Game Squares....
Or inserted into a product like Sterling every 6 boxes or so.

Anyways, Let me know what you think, That would be one hell of a product,

www.northerncards.net
Bowman Set Collector
Blue Jays Guy
Supercollecting Jorge Saez and Jose Berrios

RE: An Idea On Game Used Mem.
Great idea. Really dislike game used / relic card squares (bat knobs and buttons are different) and hate when they are my "hit"....and it doesn't matter who it is I get.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

and honestly, i think at least in my mind the integrity of the collection and the companies who produce the cards would be strengthened if they did release such items, Okay I don't mind getting a Gose Futures Game jersey card, but i would much rather have a AAA jersey used in a game, or a Spring Training jersey from a prospect, honestly the cost of these wouldn't be much more than what they are currently facilitating. I understand not getting legend jerseys or hats in a very high end product but, how many games do these guys play in a year? 162? that's 162 different jerseys at least theoretically. In hockey, guys often change jerseys in between periods and your telling me that it would be so hard to get a few jerseys per player per year? I don't.

Hence the insertion of these cards, The industry needs something more ground breaking than a 4 color patch card booklet. it's been done now for years. I just would like Topps or even Panini to take the initiative to bring something that hasn't been done yet.

Value of overall product increases. Imagine if in Bowman they had 3 Bryce Harper Jerseys inserted as redemptions? Remember the article on here about 2 years ago when one of his A level jerseys sold for $10K?

That's all for now. I would just seriously love to see a product with more inspiration that the usual colored refractors and auto patch cards.

Thanks.
www.northerncards.net
Bowman Set Collector
Blue Jays Guy

Speaking from personal knowledge. Some clubs only give limited numbers of items. Tampa Yankees only get 2 hats person season. !st half and 2nd half. Jerseys could be bought of say at team auctions and signed. tampa yankees have auctions 3 different times of the year. and not standard issue jersey either makes them rarer. could be bought out right for 175. with guys like mason williams and gary sanchez starting season there would be great if could pick them up. I think some companies already do this kinda stuff. i think onyx might be one and just minors

I know just minors do the bats and balls thing, I still havent gone out and bought a "box" but I think that the jerseys at a price similar to what your stating $175 is really reasonable, considering the time and effort it takes for a company to produce such cards,

I know Panini did a vidblog where they walked through the process of 11-12 Dominion hockey and it seemed very straight forward, They have a company rep go to a game, get a used stick from a player, I believe it was ryan kesler in the movie, he signs a paper, (assuming a contact of some sort) stating that the stick was used during the game and it went into production. A big difference is that Dominion was $300 a box but they used every inch of the stick, nameplate, tape, knob, It was a very cool process, and in reality, creates a higher number of WOW cards but I still think that getting a redemption for the whole stick would be even more cool.
www.northerncards.net
Bowman Set Collector
Blue Jays Guy

The only way that would work would be to make them extremely scarce. Acquiring game used memorabilia even from prospects is expensive. This was done on a few occasions and has been a success. But I dont ever see it happening because people will still buy those boxes to get a jersey swatch card. And also they make way too much money cutting those things up into 1000's of pieces and putting them in a card and turning into a "hit". Back 2003 I bought a box of Sweet Spot Baseball and pulled a redemption for an Albert Belle game used bat which came in about 2 years later. I loved it. It was not signed but was still extremely cool. I would love your idea to become a facet in these new sets. In some ways they do it now but its really tough to get them. Onyx has a strictly game used set and I dont think its doing too well, Im not sure. Im only basing that on the fact that I never see boxes of it anywhere.

I think it's a cool idea, but I don't think Topps would adopt it. As it stands, they literally mint their own "money" in the form of cards. They turn cardboard into items that collectors value. Baseball memorabilia, on the other hand, can't be created. They'd just be resellers of memorabilia and that's not really their market. Although Topps does buy plenty of memorabilia (in the form of bats, jerseys, etc.) usually their just incorporating it into their own product as a value-add.

I believe Onyx does something similar to what you're proposing. I've seen people do box breaks where they get GU batting gloves, etc. There's redemptions for cleats and bats and so forth. Pretty cool.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

In all honestly I don't see how hard it can be to place a hand full of these items within a product like Bowman, Pro Debut or Heritage Minors. Last season alone I walked away to tons of game used foul balls, hand full of game used broken bats, 3 pairs of batting gloves, and 2 hats. The hats and 2 pairs of batting gloves were all in one game. Yes my kids got them by being recognized by the players from showing up all season. But how hard can it be for a rep to make contact via twitter or what have you and make an arrangement. like its been said they milk it and make 1000 1" squares and call it a hit. I would more and likely follow a guy more if i pulled a pair of game used cleats over a base auto

(03-22-2013, 03:42 PM)RobbinsDynasty Wrote: In all honestly I don't see how hard it can be to place a hand full of these items within a product like Bowman, Pro Debut or Heritage Minors. Last season alone I walked away to tons of game used foul balls, hand full of game used broken bats, 3 pairs of batting gloves, and 2 hats. The hats and 2 pairs of batting gloves were all in one game. Yes my kids got them by being recognized by the players from showing up all season. But how hard can it be for a rep to make contact via twitter or what have you and make an arrangement. like its been said they milk it and make 1000 1" squares and call it a hit. I would more and likely follow a guy more if i pulled a pair of game used cleats over a base auto
In order for this to work, Topps would need to buy THOSANDS of jerseys, gloves, hats, etc. Teams aren't going to give these items away to Topps like they do for kids once in a while just so Topps can make money. They probably wouldn't even give Topps much of a bulk discount because the teams can sell these items themselves (easily) at full price. Yeah, sure game used foul balls can be had pretty easy, and probably bats too, but do you think teams are going to give Topps a good deal on a GU Pujols jersey that they can sell on their website for $1000+? Probably not. And then there's the shipping and handling costs that would really add up (how much does it cost to ship a bat, or helmet?). I'm not saying it couldn't be done by Topps in a specialty memorabilia product, but there's not a lot of room for profit there. People would be squealing if they spent $$$ on a memorabilia box and end up pulling Jubaldo Jiminez cleats, Hank Conger batting gloves, and a Lenny Dykstra hat. People generally go to Topps for baseball cards. If they want memorabilia, there's tons of other companies who specialize in just that.

I think Topps could probably insert 1 memorabilia redemption per case, but again, we'd all be paying for it.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

well and thats all i would be asking for, Maybe one per case. Not one in every box because the price would be insanely high. I would be more likely to follow players that are not blue jays or pirates if i pulled something like that. I dont know it would be awesome to get something as cool as cleats or batting gloves. It would be nice to get a big name player but my idea is that it gets more exposure to minor league prospects and up and coming players. maybe not necessarily rookies but maybe players in their first couple years.

www.northerncards.net
Bowman Set Collector
Blue Jays Guy