`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Game used....but by who?

Game used....but by who?
So I was reading someone else's thread in the box-breaks and someone was saying something about how the game used item was too clean to be game used...and it got me wondering...

Most card manufacturers will put the following statement or something similar on the cards themselves "the enclosed game-worn material is guaranteed by " or it says "authentic memorabilia." Which to most people, it is implied that it was worn by that player...but is it? Were the items really worn in a game by THAT particular player? On most cards, I've noticed that the authenticity doesn't always say it was worn or used by the particular player featured on the card...just that it's game worn or used. So technically, the manufacturer is correct...

Case in point, I was at my LCS recently, and we had a discussion with a rep for a golf line who happened to stop by the check out the cards. We got on the subject of memorabilia on the latest SP Game Used. And he questioned the validity of the memorabilia because he noticed that a glove card for a particular player (who shall go nameless) was a brand of glove that the player would NEVER wear because that retired player NEVER would stray from his preferred brand. That made a lot of sense...

Any thoughts on this?

RE: Game used....but by who?
I just try not to think about it that much but I guess there is no real way to tell
[Image: 6C3028DA-222D-46AB-98B7-BD7D0829F4B5-819...1b74d5.jpg]

I try not to think about it...but since you started the thread...lol

I actually wanted to make this about one of the signles I picked up from one of my Bowman HOF relics for basketball.

"this item was used in an official NBA game"

that was the COA...nothing else lol
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

Anything before 2004-2005 I think was pretty specific about who or where it came from. After, yeah it could be shady depending on said descriptions
no org, please do not send trade requests

This is why I stay away from GU cards after 2005. Before 2005 the wording read "This card contains an authentic game used _______ used by ________ in an official ____ game."
Now, Its very vague. Doesnt even say what the "relic" is, let alone used by who?

I think the relic could've been used by anyone in the game, including the batboy. I'd like to think it was used by the player depicted on the card but I figure if it was, they'd say so. I still collect for the player on the card and not because it has a relic on it.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

i think there's going to be a day when it will be discovered that all the GU cards were a scam and while they were game worn, it was probably not from the player on the card. i think this will piss a lot of people off.
[Image: angelsbanner.jpg]

(03-20-2013, 10:00 AM)elfeo013 Wrote: i think there's going to be a day when it will be discovered that all the GU cards were a scam and while they were game worn, it was probably not from the player on the card. i think this will piss a lot of people off.
Game worn batboy jerseys all over the place
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

lets face it guys, when the statement, if it's too good to be true, it probably is, is used here, we all know the real answer. go onto meigray's website and see the cost of real game used jersey's. even if these companies are getting discounts, how could they afford to keep buying game used pujols, trout, griffey, or vintage guys like gehrig, cobb, and ruth? more importantly, just how many of those jersey's and bats truly exist? in hockey for instance, until mid 2000's, teams only issued two sets of jerseys per year, plus playoffs, but players could decline and continue to use their jersey longer if they wanted. that leaves a very limited number of jersey's available. in college i played hockey with some of the guys who worked in lemieux's agents office. we talked about gu cards and they said that there is one card on the market claiming to be a certain jersey, meanwhile, mario still had that jersey in his closet, so its def not what the company claimed it was. also, look at the use on these cards. I noticed in the early 2000's i was pulling gu hockey jersey's that had puck marks on them, now, clean as could be. and let's not forget panini, topps, and upper deck all being busted by the feds in i think 09 for buying fake jersey's. and if you didn't know that, look it up. the problem is, people forget and believe what they want to believe rather than take a stand. so as long as people are buying $500 boxes to get a little swatch of jersey probably used by a batboy, they will keep producing them. there is only one company i believe uses legit gu stuff and that is itg, who is mainly a hockey company. i still pull dirty jerseys from their product.

Think about it though guys. How many jerseys does it take to make a whole set of cards. Probably one jersey from a player. Which i'm sure for Topps or whoever isn't very hard to come by. It would be pretty lame if they bypassed getting 1 jersey from one game.