`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Topps locks up MLB card exclusive until 2020

RE: Topps locks up MLB card exclusive until 2020
yeah the limit needs not to be on the companies but the number of sets they put out annually.
Is this thing on?

(03-19-2013, 03:44 PM)shivelycore Wrote: yeah the limit needs not to be on the companies but the number of sets they put out annually.
Exactly! If we thought that GM made too many cars (and didn't think their cars were that great) would the right answer be to prevent any other car company from making them? No!

Nooooooooooo!
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

pure garbage

(03-19-2013, 06:46 PM)dougnash Wrote: Exactly! If we thought that GM made too many cars (and didn't think their cars were that great) would the right answer be to prevent any other car company from making them? No!
GREAT example!!!

Any collectors who remember the mid and late 90's know that there were way too many producers and way too many sets per company. That is why MLB started restrictions in the first place. It was too overwhelming for collectors.
But you can't keep restricting everything or the entire industry suffers.
Score sold out to the company they started (Pinnacle, who also bought Action Packed and Score Board, then folded as well), Fleer folded and sold off brands to different companies, Donruss merged back with Leaf who had already absorbed Playoff and then they folded as well.
UD bought the Fleer Ultra rights but screwed themselves eventually anyway.
The first restrictions were good for the hobby, but further restrictions led to all these companies selling to each other and lead to UD OR Topps. UD screwed themselves into losing the license, but MLB is back to its pre-1981 card deal. It will probably take another lawsuit to change that before 2020.
I think that Topps needs to be limited by the MLB in the # of releases they can make per year. Not only would they make better sets, but they would make them more appealing to collectors.
Personally, I would love to see Panini and Press Pass have a chance to make MLB cards. Even if they were limited to just 1 release per year, it would challenge Topps to make better stuff.
THAT is about the only way I would start buying new MLB card boxes again.

I have become so dishearten at the quality of Topps products that I have been TRYING to get out of this addiction--Since some idiots at MLB don't care about the collector, this had to be a money deal, and allow competition and the fact that Topps can't fulfill their redemption's much less produce a card that is cut correctly this will be the push I need. I have been collecting since 1990, spend an average of $6-8 thousand a year and love a lot of the product out there but buying a box of cards for $300.00 and finding poor centering and damage is like buying a car and finding out the bottom of the trunk is missing. Topps has gotten so slow and careless in production anymore. I could expect to get my trunk fixed in a timely manner but Topps doesn't have a timely manner moral. They think just sending an e-mail saying hey were late with that product--no sh.. idiot-I figured that out when I didn't get it. Offer me a substitute and compensation for failure to deliver what you said you would do. ANY other manufacturer of any other product who operates the way Topps does would be sued and out of business. How long do I have to beg for my product to be what I pay for. I am NOT talking about hits, my concern is quality and redemption's. If my car manufacturer took a year to fix my trunk I would be compensated, they want repeat business. I really love collecting, but now...Thanks MLB you just stuck it to the fans again! The only way to fix this is for MLB to FORCE Topps into correct their issues-MLB made the mess now fix it.
Will always be looking for 2012 or 2013 Panini Cooperstown Signatures for the two sets I'm building-Will trade in your favor--will ship first--Thanks

(03-20-2013, 08:53 AM)happy14027 Wrote: I have become so dishearten at the quality of Topps products that I have been TRYING to get out of this addiction--Since some idiots at MLB don't care about the collector, this had to be a money deal, and allow competition and the fact that Topps can't fulfill their redemption's much less produce a card that is cut correctly this will be the push I need. I have been collecting since 1990, spend an average of $6-8 thousand a year and love a lot of the product out there but buying a box of cards for $300.00 and finding poor centering and damage is like buying a car and finding out the bottom of the trunk is missing. Topps has gotten so slow and careless in production anymore. I could expect to get my trunk fixed in a timely manner but Topps doesn't have a timely manner moral. They think just sending an e-mail saying hey were late with that product--no sh.. idiot-I figured that out when I didn't get it. Offer me a substitute and compensation for failure to deliver what you said you would do. ANY other manufacturer of any other product who operates the way Topps does would be sued and out of business. How long do I have to beg for my product to be what I pay for. I am NOT talking about hits, my concern is quality and redemption's. If my car manufacturer took a year to fix my trunk I would be compensated, they want repeat business. I really love collecting, but now...Thanks MLB you just stuck it to the fans again! The only way to fix this is for MLB to FORCE Topps into correct their issues-MLB made the mess now fix it.
You don't sound like your user name.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(03-20-2013, 08:53 AM)happy14027 Wrote: I have become so dishearten at the quality of Topps products that I have been TRYING to get out of this addiction--Since some idiots at MLB don't care about the collector, this had to be a money deal, and allow competition and the fact that Topps can't fulfill their redemption's much less produce a card that is cut correctly this will be the push I need. I have been collecting since 1990, spend an average of $6-8 thousand a year and love a lot of the product out there but buying a box of cards for $300.00 and finding poor centering and damage is like buying a car and finding out the bottom of the trunk is missing. Topps has gotten so slow and careless in production anymore. I could expect to get my trunk fixed in a timely manner but Topps doesn't have a timely manner moral. They think just sending an e-mail saying hey were late with that product--no sh.. idiot-I figured that out when I didn't get it. Offer me a substitute and compensation for failure to deliver what you said you would do. ANY other manufacturer of any other product who operates the way Topps does would be sued and out of business. How long do I have to beg for my product to be what I pay for. I am NOT talking about hits, my concern is quality and redemption's. If my car manufacturer took a year to fix my trunk I would be compensated, they want repeat business. I really love collecting, but now...Thanks MLB you just stuck it to the fans again! The only way to fix this is for MLB to FORCE Topps into correct their issues-MLB made the mess now fix it.
If you are that tired of the Topps mess, try NASCAR cards. There is a monopoly there too now, but only b/c the other companies don't want the hassle that it takes to get all the rights to all the drivers.
Press Pass is a great company though and rarely ever put redemptions in their products. Any time you have a damaged card of any sort, they are more than happy to fix it and it happens quickly. Mid-to-late 90's UD cards were pretty good too.
Plus NASCAR card values tend to be higher than the other sports. A few years ago NASCAR cards were #3 on my list of cards I'd buy. Since Topps has gone in the crapper and Panini keeps making childish looking or overly-expensive cards, NASCAR has become my go-to sport for busting packs/boxes.
I just spent a bunch of my tax refund on cards and it was ALL for NASCAR boxes b/c I didn't see any MLB/NFL cards I would rather buy or break. I had a lot of fun with the breaks and don't regret anything about it -- except that I didn't buy MORE stuff at the same time!!! Smile

The most disappointing part of this license is the length. If it was just another 2 years or something, that would give Panini some time to prove their ability to MLB. But at 7 years, that's a long time for Panini to have to wait. A lawsuit would be the only solution but that doesn't sound very appealing to any of the parties involved.

I'd like it best if Topps and Panini each had a full license but were limited to like MLB 10 products each. Maybe they could even have their products tiered to where each puts out a certain amount of low-end, mid-end and high-end so there would be somewhat of a head-to-head competition. Right now, Topps has a hard time figuring out how to fill their 17 or whatever releases they have to make. If they pared down the quantity of what they had to release, they'd probably improve the quantity.

(03-19-2013, 03:44 PM)shivelycore Wrote: yeah the limit needs not to be on the companies but the number of sets they put out annually.
A manufacturer probably won't make enough $ unless they're able to make a certain number of sets. Consider that all the old major manufacturers went bankrupt or were almost bankrupt by the time Topps was granted the exclusive MLBP license they have now.

Even though the hobby may be an all-encompassing obsession to many here, the hobby just isn't big enough to support too many new sets and manufacturers. Not only would the hobby have to absorb new sets and cards, it would have to digest sets and cards from previous years if new manufacturers and/or sets were added.
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.