`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why no basketball cards from 1982-1986

Why no basketball cards from 1982-1986
Ok I know your first thought is to tell me all about the STAR cards that they had. I already know about them.

I want to know why Topps stopped making basketball cards in 1982 and why no other company (other than STAR) started making them again until 1986.
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

RE: Why no basketball cards from 1982-1986
I don't know the specific reasoning why Topps exited the basketball card market after the 1982 season. What I do know is that they had a contract that they had that ended that same year. Star obviously saw an opportunity and were the only company to get a licensing agreement with the NBA for the next few years.

Topps may have actively decided on their own to not seek a renewal of their licensing contract, or the NBA could have opted out. To say they missed out on some revenue for those years is and understatement.
Looking for Exquisite 2003-04 Noble Nameplates.

Yeah, it's just weird that the Star cards aren't considered true RC's for alot of players during that time. They waited and saved up rookies for 3 or 4 years and then they all got RC's with Fleer in 86.
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

(03-14-2013, 01:41 AM)briankort Wrote: Yeah, it's just weird that the Star cards aren't considered true RC's for alot of players during that time. They waited and saved up rookies for 3 or 4 years and then they all got RC's with Fleer in 86.
I agree, I would think that longevity has something to do with it. If Star was still around today I think those cards would be recognized as true RC's, and hold a higher premium. However, since they (Company) petered out, it almost seems as if they are treated likeā€¦ dare I say "Pro Set" cards.
Looking for Exquisite 2003-04 Noble Nameplates.

From what I've heard, Topps quoted a lack of decline in popularity in the sport for their pulling out of the contract. They did the same in 1958.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

Topps ended their contract with the NBA and players...stocks, private ownership, snd other legal battles forced them to withdrawl contract negotiations...

I love this subject. I read this whole epic thing about why Star cards aren't considered "true" rookie cards and it basically boils down to the fact they were sold as team bags, not random packs. So, if you wanted a Jordan rookie card, you just went out and found the Chicago team bag. I think that's how it worked anyway. This guy has it covered up for the most part: http://www.jordancards.com/blog/12-02-25...e-card.php

Interesting stuff. I'd like to know if Topps didn't see the money, if the league locked them out, if it just couldn't work for whatever reason, I'd like to hear the story.

From my understanding, it was a lack of interest. The market just didn't dictate companies to invest in creating a product. Players that came out with Star cards as their first card are not considered true RC's because they were distributed regionally. I'm not one of those collectors that try to over determine a products value, so to me they are actually RC's. Imagine if Donruss and Fleer would've produced Larry Birds and Magic Johnsons RC? That would've been crazy.
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]