`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot packs

Hot packs
I have seen a number of these on eBay. Can someone explain to me how these people know that there are specific cards in each pack?

RE: Hot packs
There are a group of losers out there that have pretty much mastered the art of sitting out at Wal-Mart, Target, etc. and "feeling up" packs of cards and only buying the packs with "hits." I have no idea how people can tell if there are autographs in the pack, but they seem to be able to do it. The majority of the time those "hot pack" auctions on eBay are for retail packs that people have done this with. 95% of the time they are just cheap jersey cards. You see the auctions all the time, but I've never bought any. There are times that I've gone to pick a pack and you can obviously see a pack that stands out from the others...and who wouldn't buy that one? I only do that because I want the hit, not to re-sell it for more...nor do I condone sitting out at the retail store just feeling up every pack possible to get all the hits. It's sad really, and ruins the hobby for people like myself who doesn't have a card shop close to me....not to mention to ruins the chances for kids out there interested in the hobby.

Ive often wondered how they knew which ones are the hotpacks.

There are multiple ways to tell a hot pack. Even to tell auto's etc. I used to work at a gas station from 2001 to 2004 when I was in college in the St Louis area, there were always rag tag guys coming in and "pack searching" the cards. I got one guy to show me how to do it, and I started pack searching the cards before I would put them out, and would randomly swap the packs out to people who were purchasing and not pack searching. I agree it's disgusting, especially the guys who just go to retail stores w/ a box cutter and cut packs open on the bottom side, but it did feel good to give the hot packs I was searching to kids who were coming in and spending their allowance on cards.
PC: Kovy-Hasek-Bure-Sanford-Low

Trading for:
00-01 SC Beam Team
01-02 YoungStars Gold
Tradelist
Photobucket

I've caught guys actually coming in to my local WallyWorld with digital scales to find "heavier" packs, and calipers to measure thickness of packs.....Also had a guy thrown out of a local Target for "gently bending" all the packs trying to find the ones that don't bend as easily - aka - memorabilia cards...

''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

90% are scams. another 9% just simply hurt the hobby.

the remaining 1% is cool (those are the guys that buy boxes to build sets, and dont care about MEM cards, so they weigh the pack and sell those separately, and use the rest to build their sets)

any seller that sells hot packs and singles? scam
any seller that sells hot packs that guarantees a certain player? scam
sellers that guarantee an autograph? scam (for most products, there are a couple exceptions)
if they say it will contain EITHER a refractor/jersey/auto/numbered: it will will be the lowest common denominator

and most guys have resealed their packs, which means you get a jersey card of a scrub

and most guys, if their feedback says that they got a good hit? that is a friend leaving feedback

and even if none of the above is true, the packs have been molested in some way, many of which cause damage. if they do it at a store (if they dont buy the whole box), they are screwing with the overall odds of a box, and ths hurt the hobby

hot pack sellers are worse than the worst dutch sellers from 10 years ago

(03-04-2013, 02:43 PM)Furkalo123 Wrote: I have seen a number of these on eBay. Can someone explain to me how these people know that there are specific cards in each pack?
In terms of an ebay hot pack i think your referring to sellers that
put groups of cards together and merely call them hotpacks.
they are not sealed in any sense by a manfacturer nor do they
fall into the same years or make of eachother.

if a seller suggests it contains x amount of auto's and or game used
jersey/patch cards, they are mistaken. unless your purchasing
a sealed box with a single pack like the cup or dominion.

jv