`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What % of BV is a card worth...

RE: What % of BV is a card worth...
Ever since I can remember most of the flea market guys around here would go by the

Buy at 40% BV and sell at 60% BV

Obviously with Ebay coming along that's changed a lot

There really isn't a set % that is accurate across all cards. As others have noted there are cards that will sell above book value and others that won't move even if you list them for 10% of book value. The best way to tell, is to check to see what others are listing the same card for on eBay and COMC. Also, check completed auctions on eBay to see if the card is even selling at all.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

My feeling, as a buyer and sometimes a seller, is that a card or a set of cards is really only worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I haven't looked at a BV in years. Generally, when listing something on eBay, I'll search for it on the site and base my asking price on whatever others are asking. Or else I begin an auction at $1 and let the bidders make the market (the caveat to this is that sometimes you obviously feel like you're getting screwed). For a Fixed Price listing, I'll also give the option to make a best offer, and I've had a good deal of success that way (ie someone will usually make me a fair offer. Of course, there's always the odd lowball offer but you can always counter or reject).

One thing that bothers me from a buyers' perspective is a seller who will trumpet a card's BV, or, in the case of a best offer, reject my offer and make some indignant remark about a card's BV. Or their expectation of what their card will sell for is completely out of whack with what anyone would logically pay for it (this is at least how I see it). If a seller is going to take that sort of a tactic, then why even give the option of making a best offer?
Collects New York Mets and San Francisco 49ers. Sells mostly old junk wax that I don't have room for anymore.