`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
zunino plate / how many 2012 sterling baseball left? (finder's reward :)
Star 
zunino plate / how many 2012 sterling baseball left? (finder's reward :)
although a 28-year beckett customer almost since the very start of the monthlies in 1984, this is actually my first real post in "forums," so pls bear with me if i'm not posting in the right place, etc... basically i collected heavily as a "kid" for many years through the 80's/90's and have recently re-entered heavily as an adult and not yet fully up to speed. looking for advice on a particular... as many folks seem to be, i'm also quite in love with 2012 bowman sterling baseball (and 2012 baseball five star as well, btw) and i'd like to get ahold of the last printing plate (magenta) for zunino's autograph cards in that set. the cyan, yellow, black sold on ebay for $250-ish for colors and $400 for black, and i'd definitely pay cash above $250 for the magenta.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=zuni...Complete=1

i'm guessing that folks pulling the zunino autograph plates would almost certainly put them on ebay because of the zunino-fever/notoriety as "the highest bv prospect in sterling / bowman prospects" or whatever, since they'd assume they could get something for it as opposed to not bothering listing most other plates because they're generally undesirable. unless of course the person who pulled it happens to actually want to hang on to it for pc (unlikely). for those reasons, i'm assuming that that magenta plate likely remains unopened out there somewhere (thoughts on likelihood???). so other than that, my question is two-fold - first, obviously if anyone's got that particular plate or have heard of it having been pulled, seen it at a show, etc., please let me know because i'd love to have a shot at negotiating for it. more likely it's unopened, so my real question is... what is the consensus of how many 2012 sterling boxes there were, and how many remain unopened at this point? it seems like there were about 10,500 - 11,000 boxes total (thoughts???). from my best extrapolation, they seem to have been broken quite more rapidly than your typical set's boxes - only like 20-30 on ebay now, for example. seems perhaps 9000 broken and 2000 left (thoughts based on your own extrapolations???).

i guess finally would be if anyone knows of shared box breaks going on for 2012 sterling boxes, i'd appreciate being pointed to them so as to possibly optimize my investment towards finding such a particular target. (help???)

thanks in advance for your time and for any help or opinions! happy to compensate anyone who's involved in me ultimately getting a hold of that plate, seriously. and thanks all for kindly welcoming me to "forums!"

best,
andyofandyland
andy@andyland.com
Andy Schön

RE: zunino plate / how many 2012 sterling baseball left? (finder's reward :)
Welcome to the forums. I don't know anything about the specific whereabouts of the cyan plate. However, I think your logic is partially flawed. A LOT of people use eBay to sell off there big hits, especially of hot prospects. However there are plenty of other places people buy/sell cards both online and in person. There are also quite a few people who refuse to use eBay to sell their cards, for any number of various reasons. So while you might think that the card hasn't been pulled yet, I think that it very well could have been pulled and is sitting in someone's personal collection right now, or could be sitting at a card shop or in a dealer or collectors inventory gathering dust. It might surprise you as to how many "hot" cards sit in inventories or collections and miss out on being sold on eBay. I count the number of times I have gone to a card shop or card show and told a dealer he could sell a specific card on eBay for more than he is asking for it, only to be told that they don't want to deal with the potential hassle of selling on eBay (i.e. non-paying bidders, thieves that request a refund and claim they never got the card or that the card was damaged, etc.).
There are also a lot of other card related sites (COMC, sportsbuy, sportlots, beckett, etc.) to buy & sell that charge much lower fees than eBay charges, and/or provide better customer service and support. So there are people who select to sell on those websites instead of eBay, even when they know that they might make a little bit more if they listed on eBay.
Too many people think that eBay is the end all for selling, but it really is just one of many places to look for things. Best of luck in finding the last plate, hopefully someone can help you find it soon.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

There are some other trading sites out there that are more heavily into prospect stuff. I would post a similar message over to one of those and you could possibly get some good intel on the Zunino plate you're after (not going to mention specific names b/c I think that might be a violation of Beckett TOS). Good luck
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

I don't think you're way of base here. I think there's a better than average chance that if someone pulled the Zunino magenta, you'd see it on here, a popular auction website, or another sportscard trading website that rhymes with "the mench." I can't really say I have any idea how many Sterling boxes have been broken. i wouldn't be surprised if someone on here could give you some insight. There was a guy on here last fall who knew exactly how many 2012 Topps mini cases were produced based on the hit ratio.

-For what it's worth, I picked up a few Zunino Sterling autos (base) myself sensing that he'd make a splash this year. I hope that's the case....

In any event, welcome to the boards. I hope some of the guys here can help you out!
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Try other sites like Beckett Marketplace, Amazon, COMC.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

thanks all. definitely already tried all of the obvious competing sites and all. of course can never be sure, and you're right i'm probably assuming too aggressively regarding how likely it would have showed up online _anywhere_ if it has been pulled.

any others' idea on number of sterling boxes total and how many opened at this point?

otherwise, yeah, just keep in mind andyofandyland if you spot that plate at a show or anything, or have any shared 2012 sterling box breaks!

thanks!
andy

You can calculate the number of boxes produced based on the odds for getting a serial numbered insert in a pack. I don't know what the odds are for the different Bowman Sterling inserts, but here is an example of how to figure it out for any box.

Let's say Insert A is a parallel of a 100 card base set numbered to 50, and the odds given for getting one in a pack are 1:200.
So there are 100*50 = 5,000 total Insert A cards.
The total number of packs it would take to get all 5,000 Insert A cards is 5,000*200 = 1,000,000 packs.
Now let's say there are 24 packs in a box, so that would mean there are 1,000,000 / 24 = 41,667 boxes

Doing this math will be pretty accurate, though not 100% precise as they can round off to get their odds. Also, this is assuming that there aren't different odds for retail versus hobby, as that always throws things off.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

2012 Sterling Mike Zunino magenta printing plate.

*[if someone searches for this term on google, this thread will appear in the results. It's a long shot, but it can't hurt].
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

thanks djohn, yeah, that's exactly how i calculated it. uvaspina, thx, good point! hopefully the one who pulls it will happen to google for it to see who's looking for it (if not check beckett or list on ebay) - sounds like we've got many of my bases covered. best, andy