`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kyrie Irving cards, trend or perpetual?

Kyrie Irving cards, trend or perpetual?
So I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but Kyrie Irving cards have spiked. I realize these are his RC year cards, but is it normal for a player like this to be surpassing sells of Kobe/Lebron/Durant and so on? Just a month or two ago Kyrie autos could be had for $100-$200 now they have increased to between $200-$300 for the most. Even on non #ed Autos... such as the Threads RC auto I paid $115 for and is now selling $200+. Is this pretty common for a player with this much hype? Will it die down or will his cards stay competitive with these other Superstars? I suppose it will depend on how his career continues to unfold..... I am having a difficult time deciding whether or not it is worth it to continue chasing his cards when they are selling so high....

Here are some examples if anyone is interested, and I realize the examples are on the extreme side, but if you look at his other more common cards such as the Prestigious Picks Auto and the Threads RC auto, it is the same pattern.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-13-Panini-Pri...33801d9f15

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-13-Panini-P...3f22486af3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyrie-Irving-Pri...4ac0ecced5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-13-Totally-...5652933a11

Those are just a few that I recalled... Patches are impossible to find anymore for under $100. And it is pretty hard to find an auto for under $200.... So my whole point of this thread, Is it a Bad idea to invest while the market is so high, or do his cards have the potential to retain current values or even increase?
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]

RE: Kyrie Irving cards, trend or perpetual?
So many collectors get infatuated with "HOT" players. Jeremy Lin cards all shot up last year. But have cooled off and dropped. He is still a good player, but the excitment has dropped off. This year they have Kyrie. Great player and his stuff I think will always sell well, but next year or the year after there will be someone else that gets the interest of the masses.

He is going to continue to give you 20 pts and 7 or 8 assists a night, but so does Dwyane Wade and look at Carmelo's numbers? No one is dying to collect either one of those guys cards.

Collecting is a fad for a lot of people. Prices are high for awhile and then reach reality a few years later. Sometimes a lot sooner. People are dying to get RC's at the beginning of the year, "just in case" a player breaks out. Then as the year goes on, you can't give most of them away.
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

There is one thing you have to consider though, even though they are his "RC" cards, it is his second year, and he still out sells Lillard, and Davis.... I mean technically last year he was the hot new RC, this year I thought it was Lillard (and yes I realize Lillard doesn't have as many auto options as Irving but wouldn't that make his autos more valuable than Irvings?).... but both draft classes share same "RC Year" cards... I don't remember this happening before.... but he has increased his card values in his second year.... He had all the hype previously, why such drastic increases after this much time?

He had the Rookie year hype last year. This year he has the good player hype. There are some great players in the league, Wade, Chris Paul, Carmelo, Duncan, Kidd, Parker and the list goes on. But eventually all the dust settles and people focus on just a few players. Now it is Lebron, Kobe and still of course Jordan.

Take Vince Carter for example. He was HOT for years, but now you can get most of his stuff for nothing. It took time, but eventually all players lose their appeal and collector's move on to someone else.

I think if You have some nice cards for Kyrie you got for a good price, hold on to them if you Like him and want to collect him, but if your looking to make money off the cards I would sell now while he is hot or maybe hold off to next year to see what happens.

The other problem is he plays for the Cavs. Not a huge market.
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

Thanks man! I appreciate the advice.

I think lillard jumped out to a hot start and people jumped on his bandwagon. At the same time kyrie was putting up same/better numbers, but since he wasn't the top "rookie" at that moment, the attention was off him. Now that he's putting up big numbers every night and scoring 40+, collectors are being reminded.

I think Kyrie will stay at Superstar levels for a while..he has already made the All-Star team and had some significant high scoring streaks and games...

The only concern I see is he has missed quite a few games with various injuries...i am hoping that is not the trend that continues..

Wow..i just checked on the Limited Potential auto I bought a few months ago for $145...Last one sold at $295...I knew they were increasing but you werent kidding...
[Image: arod.gif]

I think everything in this hobby is a "trend" in my opinion. Lol

(02-26-2013, 02:35 PM)arod1973 Wrote: I think Kyrie will stay at Superstar levels for a while..he has already made the All-Star team and had some significant high scoring streaks and games...

The only concern I see is he has missed quite a few games with various injuries...i am hoping that is not the trend that continues..

Wow..i just checked on the Limited Potential auto I bought a few months ago for $145...Last one sold at $295...I knew they were increasing but you werent kidding...
I agree! I hope he can avoid any more complications. If you have any interest in trading that Kyrie let me know Smile
(02-26-2013, 02:44 PM)mickey7mantle7 Wrote: I think everything in this hobby is a "trend" in my opinion. Lol
This is definitely true, even Jordan's see low points. But my biggest thing is, some of the rare Kyrie stuff, I want to get while the products are fresh and these cards are available. But will he see value retention similar to that of Kobes, Lebrons, Jordans, or will he drop and stable out somewhat similar to Wade, Mello? If his cards will stay somewhat stable as they stand, then I would have no problem spending $300 for Kyrie auto... but if in a couple years Book values drop from $200 to $100 then I would be pissed.

He plays for Cleveland, so unless he drastically turns the team around such as LeBron did, or Durant did for OKC, then I expect his popularity to wain after the newness wears off.

The same can be said for guys like Blake Griffin and Chris Paul. They basically won't have much more hobby love until they get to a championship. And even then, they're not really being seen as the premier players anymore.