`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Thinking of Breaking Up Sets - Advice, Opinion, or General Input Appreciated

Thinking of Breaking Up Sets - Advice, Opinion, or General Input Appreciated
So I am thinking about breaking up some sets. Since 2010, I started doing one RC Auto Mem Set for each year. For example, 2010 I did Limited Phenoms, 2011 I did Playbook, for 2012 I am working on the Crown Royale.

On top of this, I have several sets I started just to have low value stuff to trade for. I am almost done with 2009 Topps Mayo Relics and 2010 Prestige Stars of the NFL.

Then there are the numerous other sets where I am so close but just don't have the time anymore to really chase down with the new baby in the family.

Those are 2010 Ringside Autos (70 of 90 completed), 2010 Ringside Memorabilia, the list goes on...

I am considering listing pretty much everything for sale and using that money to focus on my true PC collection I enjoy working on...my HOFer auto collection. I have about 110 unique now so closing in on 50% of those enshrined. I think I am going to scrap the RC HOFer PC as that is just ridiculously expensive.

I guess I am just looking for some thoughts and opinions from the members and friends on here.

Couple questions:
Do sets like this carry any value as a whole? I know several members here have sold or tried to sell complete RC Auto sets like this in the past. Any luck?

I just want to condense my focus so I can make a big dent into the one collection that I think would be pretty cool - I am also working on like the top 100 autos for QB's, RC's, and WR's thinking that at some point, several of these will make Canton so I can pick these up cheaper now and should always have some sort of collectors to move these with.

Just at a crossroad here, not sure why I started all of these sets other than to give me something to chase, something to trade for, etc. Guess part of it is looking at some of these I bought and they were expensive because they were the hot guy at the time, and now they might be washing cars soon...
I collect Mickey Mantle, Roberto Clemente, Hank Aaron, Jackie Robinson, Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, and Michael Jordan.

RE: Thinking of Breaking Up Sets - Advice, Opinion, or General Input Appreciated
I think we all come to this point atleast 15 or 30 times in our collecting careers lol Im toying with one myself lol

So a little input lol - I have never liked Rookie sets - out of 50 cards only 2 will make it lol Tho those 3 are some pretty awesome sets and in several years could be worth a good chunk whole. I dont see how you do so many sets when I'm having trouble doing one LOL Having so much invested (both time and money) I would think you would be better off just setting them aside and focusing on your HOF PC and picking up pieces for the sets here and there. I love my Manning PC more than any other I have ever had and would never stop working on it or consider moving on (a 1st for me since I started collecting in 94) but it is nice having something else to buy that I like. My Magic adds always brings a smile to my face and I enjoy finding them, not so much when I felt I had to hunt them down and that I couldnt let one pass up or I would never see it. And adding to my Random and Jordan PC's are nice when I dont have to buy everything I see. I leave the buying everything I see to the Manning PC Smile

Probably doesnt help you but atleast its something to read for a few minutes lol
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

RE: Thinking of Breaking Up Sets - Advice, Opinion, or General Input Appreciated
I collect car washers...and people still want a fortune for some of them!

I say, cut your losses, get rid of the non-pc items and try to stay focused on pc cards--that way it's simpler and may end up costing less in the long run

Sorry I can't be of help, but I do empathize with ya!
[Image: AllthingsOregon2copy.jpg]

i personally think its cool to have complete sets.. especially the ones youve mentioned. I have the 2010 R&S patch auto set(50 cards) and i did this years R&S slideshow rookie autos(35 cards,each /50) i dont think i could ever break them up even for PC.. i think i know where youre coming from.. similiar to me and its like " where do i go from here in collecting " you want certain things.. you dont wanna quit but the things you want/need are getting pricey(due to greedy sellers lol) gets frustrating!

if it were me,id say keep the sets and work on PC when you can.
[Image: TT8dhuE.png]
Collecting Terrell Owens,Tom Brady,Peyton Manning, Josh Hamilton, Alex Smith
If you don't have any HIGH end cards, please don't try to acquire one of mine. Thank you.