`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Sellers tactics. Lets hear the ridiculous

RE: Sellers tactics. Lets hear the ridiculous
(02-24-2013, 01:28 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: people complain that they cant buy their cards for lower prices, also complain why the card values are so low
I'm always willing to pay the going rate for cards, I'll almost never over pay unless it's something that I need or really want. I also rarely sell anything so I don't really complain about BV of anything. I love that BV has stayed low on David Price even though he won the CY last year.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

Imagine the struggles I have trying to buy VerlanderSmile Even his base rookies are being auctioned at more than book, lol!

Mgruber, that's who my original post is about. Looking at a nice auto ahich is less than mint condition and he wants more than book. Still may bite the bullet and ok it
no org, please do not send trade requests

Well good luck! I hope you are able to get it at a decent price.

sometimes in those instances and with some sellers when you can list items for free, they are just fishing trying to get a higher price for items because it doesn't hurt them to dangle them... sometimes I will do the same with items I don't actually want to get rid of necessarily - but would get rid of them if the price was right. people are more than welcome to not pay them and they stay in the collection

some sellers also run physical storefronts - and are in regions where they might be able to get a premium price for whatever the item is - and why accept less online if its something that could sell in person for at worst--same lower price being offered

that is the great thing about "values" something I was taught at a young age from my dad when we first started collecting together some 20+ odd years ago "it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it"
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

(02-24-2013, 03:10 PM)johnxgodfree Wrote: sometimes in those instances and with some sellers when you can list items for free, they are just fishing trying to get a higher price for items because it doesn't hurt them to dangle them... sometimes I will do the same with items I don't actually want to get rid of necessarily - but would get rid of them if the price was right. people are more than welcome to not pay them and they stay in the collection

some sellers also run physical storefronts - and are in regions where they might be able to get a premium price for whatever the item is - and why accept less online if its something that could sell in person for at worst--same lower price being offered

that is the great thing about "values" something I was taught at a young age from my dad when we first started collecting together some 20+ odd years ago "it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it"

All of this is true but when someone is relisting for months and months on end for an outrageous price it throws the whole "it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it" saying right out the window.

Store fronts that have cards listed at a premium and sit on them refusing to be realistic are the ones that fail. One of the LCS's here by me folded up a little over a year ago because he literally didn't sell anything because he was crazy with the prices he had everything marked at. I would stop in occasionally to pick up a Beckett and see if he had anything new and it was the same stuff for years and years. He had a cabinet dedicated strictly to Jordan cards and I don't think he ever sold a single card out of it because of the prices. The last time I went there the cards were all faded because the case was right by the window.

I'm all for fishing for a good price but after a couple times of listing without success it goes back into storage. There is so many resources to find out what a card can be sold for these days that it is a lot harder to get premium prices for run of the mill cards.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

not saying I agree with the tactic--just trying to offer a lil into what could be going on/does often go on also.. I personally won't bother relisting something even if I'm just fishing it more than 2 or 3 times, and I rotate through items every now and again doing it---

its annoying when a person has a specific card you want - and its the only one (either that has come up for sale, or exists 1/1) and they won't budge off a crazy price-- got one that alludes me (the seller thankfully blocked me after I was polite talking price with him and he disagreed with me) so now I can watch him repeatedly list it for three times more than it typically sells for -- his new strategy was to raise the price even more and add a best offer option... needless to say its been going on 2 years on ebay now and still sits there.

annoying? yep but its his card, he is welcome to do what he wants with it.
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

If its priced too high.. It's because they probably don't want to sell it. Just respect it for that.
[Image: banner8_zpsd1d99d0d.jpg]

Collecting Brandon Beachy, Kris Medlen, Mike Minor, Julio Teheran, Andrelton Simmons and Vintage Atlanta Braves

The problem with the "bay" and those who collect as a hobby verses those who "collect" to make money is that most buyers want items for next to nothing and sellers wanting the most money they can get asking the crazy prices and constant relisting. I learned my lesson the hard way by listing some nice auto's and relic cards with starting auction price of $.99. For the most part guess what I got.....around $.99. This was after getting a nasty email from someone (I was just starting) where I was selling a Strasburg card with a starting price within reason @ the free auction listing setting. "you need to start your auctions at $.99....you'll see the offers flying in". Yea right....I play the same game everyone else does....get things as cheap as possible when buying; but I do set my selling at going rates. (how the heck am I to know what someone will pay for something?). Also quickly, tried to buy a future HOF'er from someone who had an auction listing going...offered $56..."your crazy, that cards worth alot more" I was told buy the seller who happily sold thier card for the highest bid of $54.....

In short..as a buyer, don't make yourself crazy and all upset...set your buying price, stick to it and move on (or keep sending real low ball bids). As a seller...its your card, do whatever you want with it.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

I completely agree with the latest sentiments that its the sellers card, they can do what they want with it. And I've certainly overpaid for my fair share of items and at the same time getting some great deals. I certainly didn't want to get an argument going as I understand both sides.
no org, please do not send trade requests