`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan Insert craze, will it stay strong or eventual slow down?

RE: Jordan Insert craze, will it stay strong or eventual slow down?
(02-22-2013, 11:15 PM)hegotgame1515 Wrote: MJ is the best investment on earth.
With the exception of his RC, I disagree. But only time will tell which one of us is right. I don't have anything to lose because I don't have any of his cards. For your sake, I hope your right.

The only guarantee in life is that eventually we will all die!
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

(02-22-2013, 11:40 PM)briankort Wrote: With the exception of his RC, I disagree. But only time will tell which one of us is right. I don't have anything to lose because I don't have any of his cards. For your sake, I hope your right.

The only guarantee in life is that eventually we will all die!
Don't worry about me....

I don't care one bit if every card he is printed on drops in value by 50%....
It dosen't effect me at all...

The reason i'm confident that MJ will always be the most sort after player and will Always command higher prices then ANYONE else is this....

He is a GLOBAL icon, no other athlete of any era is as well known globaly as MJ including ALI.

Do you think half the world outside the NBA knows any current players?
Lebron who?

Go ask a 15 year old outside the U.S who Lebron James is....
Then ask who Michael Jordan is....
Basketball = Michael Jordan

Michael Jordan's Legarcy will transcend our generation.
Just like Babe Ruth, but on a Global scale.

Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

(02-23-2013, 12:36 AM)hegotgame1515 Wrote: Don't worry about me....

I don't care one bit if every card he is printed on drops in value by 50%....
It dosen't effect me at all...

The reason i'm confident that MJ will always be the most sort after player and will Always command higher prices then ANYONE else is this....

He is a GLOBAL icon, no other athlete of any era is as well known globaly as MJ including ALI.

Do you think half the world outside the NBA knows any current players?
Lebron who?

Go ask a 15 year old outside the U.S who Lebron James is....
Then ask who Michael Jordan is....
Basketball = Michael Jordan

Michael Jordan's Legarcy will transcend our generation.
Just like Babe Ruth, but on a Global scale.

+1. His card prices may fluctuate but they will always be sought after. He was drafted in the 80s and hasnt played in 10 years and he still gets the most attention on these threads. He gets more attention than any active player on these threads as well.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

I haven't collected the inserts. I am interested in starting a collection with some of the 90's inserts but I am in favor of his early cards. I would put a high grade BGS Star XRC at the top of my wish list. Beyond his 86 Fleer card I think the Star Cards and his 86 sticker and 87 Fleer and 87 Fleer Sticker are some pretty awesome looking and hard to find (in high grade condition) cards.

I don't know much about the 90's insert market. I will have to do some research before I start buying some of them. That said, I agree with the posters who say that MJ will continue to be a good long term investment regardless if it's rare 80's or 90's inserts.

MJ is by far the most iconic athlete from the 80's and 90's. So much so that I bet his name and brand is more famous than all but the most famous athletes who are playing now. In this way, his cards are this generation's Mickey Mantle cards. Thinks of all the kids who loved Mantle in the 50's and 60's. To this day they still collect his cards and pay crazy money to collect them. That is what MJ cards will be for the rest of our lifetimes. Those of us that saw him play will always consider him the GOAT and pay to collect his cards. Those who are too young still know him because of how we talk about him and just how famous he is. The same way I can know Mickey Mantle and appreciate Mantle cards and their value despite the fact he retired 7 years before I was born.

The 1986 Fleer MJ is the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. Imagine if you bought a 1952 Mantle in 1980. I think that would have been a pretty good investment.

Really the only card that will keep its true never ending appeal is the Jordan RC... Because EVERYONE knows & wants that card. Let's be realistic, outside of the insanely wealthy & extreme hardcore collectors... What average person is gonna spend 3-30K on an Exquisite, PMG, or "rare" insert that has no real significance to anyone outside of the hobby & basically would need to be explained to everyone? The Jordan RC will always be THE card to own & reasonably affordable so that even the average Joe can have a chance at owning one!

To me the issue with Jordan inserts from the 90s is that it is dependent on card collectors from that era getting back into it and going after those cards that they never could get when they were a kid. Regardless of the fact that he is a global icon a very small percentage of new collectors (kids today) will want to go back and collect ALL of the 90s era inserts like many of us have tried to do. Sure they may want to get a few of their favorites but that's about it they will go after Lebron or the next guy that comes along with freakish ability from their "childhood".

I'm not saying the prices will ever go down to nothing, more of they will remain about the same with spikes in value similar to what we saw over the past couple of years as Jordan went into the hall of fame. I've been monitoring values of Jordan cards since the mid-2000s with another 20% or so drop, the average (non-super rare/print #'d cards) will be back to historic levels (2005-08) which are the levels I think we are headed.

In my opinion I think the greatest concern for maintaining value are those 90s era inserts that are BGS 9.5 with more than just a few in the population report. The reason I say that is that there are so many that are ungraded that will be graded the population is surely to go up which means more cards for the same amount of collectors. I.e. Supply vs. Demand. This is exactly what has happened over the past 2 years because people saw how high highly graded grades were going for. The value of ungraded 90s inserts has come down 20-30% over the last 6 months while these cards have dropped 20-50% and more in some cases due to more cards being graded highly. Some examples the 95-96 Metal Slick Silver BGS 9.5/PSA 10 was going for 80+ has had auctions end under $40. 95-96 E-XL Natural Born Thrillers was going for $275+ can now be had for $150 or less. 92-93 Upper Deck Jerry West Selects was going for $100+, the last one sold for $26.99!

To me the cards that will always maintain value and likely increase are Fleer RC and Star XRC. The extremely rare Jordan inserts I think also stand a very good chance of increasing over time with fluctuations similar to the stock market.

Just my 2 cents...
 photo mjheader.jpg

Zinger82 pretty much hit it on the head. If we're truly asking ourselves what Jordan cards have the highest likely hood of STAYING in huge demand even 100+ years down the road, long after the generation that lived during MJ's era passes.... Smart money has just gotta be on the 84 Star & 86 Fleer! Because there will come a day when MJ will be remembered pretty much as Babe Ruth is to baseball... And new collectors during that era who will be collecting THEIR current heroes, if they could have just 1-2MJ cards... Those would be it... PERIOD! Everyone will wanna say even a hundred years from now... "I own a Jordan RC aka the holy grail of basketball cards" .... And I'm really starting to see the Star gain HUGE amounts of steam & may one day come real close to being the Fleer's equal in terms of popularity!

No one really can dictate how collecting will be in 20 years. I do believe that Jordans card values will remain consistant, but no one can determine what LeBron or any other players career will end up being. I actually grew up watching Jordan and I believe that his aura is larger than him right now. The generation before me felt that Dr. J, the Ice Man, Oscar, Wilt and Russell were the best players ever (some still do believe that). The generation coming up may feel that LeBron or another person was the best player ever. Time will only tell.

As for Jordan cards, you really can't go wrong. Basketball collecting is very strange. Some stuff will skyrocket and then disappear. I say wait a couple of years and then see...
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

The card market works pretty much like the stock market: supply and demand drives everything. The short term movements are dominated by speculators who are mainly after a quick buck. Buying what's hot in the hope of selling it quickly with a profit. The long term trend is determined by investors, in this case collectors. I haven't been back in the collecting game long enough to be able to determine if speculators have been pushing up 90's inserts into a bubble, but what seems pretty obvious to me is that more and more rare 90's inserts are finding their way into PCs and won't be on the market any more. That means that in future supply is going to dry up and demand is going to remain high as new collectors want to get their hand on the holy grail. The only thing that could have a long term negative impact on all Jordan cards would be if the great man himself did something really stupid, but fingers crossed, he is far to intelligent for that.
[Image: Sig_zps7c9cccea.jpg]

Troubless, that is one of the coolest banners I have ever seen!
[Image: lnuVdUL.png]