`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pete Rose Banned from Topps Baseball cards since 1989

Pete Rose Banned from Topps Baseball cards since 1989
I read an interesting article today that mentioned the fact that Pete Rose picture or name will not appear on any Topps cards this year. And hasn't since 1989. If you look at the back of A. J. Pierzynski card #12 on the back it states Career Chase 2,611 behind the all time leader but no mention of Pete Rose just the number 4,256 all time record. But they "Topps" didn't have any problem putting Barry Bonds name as the all time HR champion. I guess there must be two standards to cheating in Baseball.

RE: Pete Rose Banned from Topps Baseball cards since 1989
Bonds wasn't banned from baseball like Rose was. While a previous thread mentioned the fact that gambling on baseball by the players was the cardinal sin, there were other instances of gambling that were swept under the rug by the Commissioner's office(see the "Dutch Leonard affair" involving Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker in 1926). Most likely due to 1) the financial and, therefore, legal clout of Ty Cobb, by then more wealthy than some of the owners and 2) the owner's unwillingness to any kind of legal action that would have brought the contractual reserve clause into the courts. Pete Rose, in my opinion, happened to get caught gambling at the wrong time since the reserve clause had been abolished more than 2 decades prior.
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

Good Point, well taken. Just feel sorry for Peter Rose. I guess gambling is a bigger sin in baseball then PED's.....

yes, it is. it is baseball's original sin. there is no greater crime against the game than gambling

peds: make baseball like playstation
gambling: makes the sport wwe

(02-14-2013, 08:26 PM)corbin21 Wrote: Good Point, well taken. Just feel sorry for Peter Rose. I guess gambling is a bigger sin in baseball then PED's.....
I feel the same way towards Rose. Bill James has a great piece about the Pete Rose situation in his Historical Abstract book. You should read it if you get the chance. It's amazing how little evidence MLB had against him when they banned him for life.
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

(02-14-2013, 08:51 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: yes, it is. it is baseball's original sin. there is no greater crime against the game than gambling

peds: make baseball like playstation
gambling: makes the sport wwe
I have to disagree with you 100% on this. First off Rose bet on his team to WIN. What's the big deal with this? He thinks he had the best team and bet on them to win. It's not like he's altering the outcome of a game. Soccer games in Europe are bet on all the time, and it is known that owners bet on games. This is way different than fixing a match. Sports and gambling go hand in hand. Now, peds can possibly alter the outcome of a game. If not every player is taking them, then there is an unfair advantage.
[Image: jetersig_zps16abeec2.jpg]
Collecting Robinson Cano, Eduardo Nunez, and Derek Jeter
Also making sigs

Gambling or not gambling he is still the all time hits leader, that record cant be overlooked and topps did.
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(02-14-2013, 09:29 PM)ja1091 Wrote: I have to disagree with you 100% on this. First off Rose bet on his team to WIN. What's the big deal with this? He thinks he had the best team and bet on them to win. It's not like he's altering the outcome of a game. Soccer games in Europe are bet on all the time, and it is known that owners bet on games. This is way different than fixing a match. Sports and gambling go hand in hand. Now, peds can possibly alter the outcome of a game. If not every player is taking them, then there is an unfair advantage.

im sorry, but that is completely wrong

there is no evidence he only bet on his team to win. no gambler - he has an addiction, after all - is looking to lose money. but let us say that is true

the games he bet on his team to win, that would mean he might leave a starter in longer, bat a certain lineup, use his bullpen heavier. that means that games he didnt bet on would be affected. it absolutely affects the game either way

and let us not forget that the only reason he admitted to it was to sell some more books

he is a filthy liar, a horrible human being, a petulant child, even to this day. he is scum. he makes barry bonds look like the Pope

as for PED use: dont fool yourself - the vast majority of players were on them, one form or another. pitchers and hitters. whether greenies, or cream, or creatine, or whatever

i understand that we, because we are all too young, dont understand why gambling is such as issue in baseball. but if you know baseball history, you know why gambling strikes at the integrity of the game

(02-14-2013, 11:26 PM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: Gambling or not gambling he is still the all time hits leader, that record cant be overlooked and topps did.
Topps isnt ALLOWED to. it isnt their choice. they cant feature shoeless joe either

Pete Rose (and his name) appeared on this 1991 Topps Card.

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

that was ALWAYS a weird card...i wonder if they were able to use it because it didnt have him in a baseball uni, or if they got smacked around by mlb for it