`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rickey henderson

RE: Rickey henderson
im deciding on purchasing his rookie card signed or a 64 topps pete rose..tough call

(02-14-2013, 05:23 PM)cptnemo66 Wrote: Its too bad his ego was 2x the size of the game.... just a dbag of a person off the field. But I remember growing up in the 80's and playing ball you always called what star you though you were, well I was the fast kid so I always got Rickey lol....
i met him two or three times. really nice guy, actually. didnt want to just sign, but talk as well

then again, ted williams had a rep too, but we had the same barber, and he was amazing...just "one of the guys"

(02-14-2013, 07:44 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: i met him two or three times. really nice guy, actually. didnt want to just sign, but talk as well

then again, ted williams had a rep too, but we had the same barber, and he was amazing...just "one of the guys"
My parents used to do fundraisers working a stand at old Cleveland Muni Stadium back in the 80's. I had access to the stadium 4 hours before game time. To a 10 year old in 1984 this was HEAVEN! No one around super easy to get autos. I remember playing catch with Odell Jones of the Brewers, got invited to a pregame chapel service with the A's in the locker room(Henderson was already in NY). These guys were like super hero giants to me. Great memories! But also have a few I remember as jerks. Julio Franco, sitting on a bucket by himself by the dugout, asked for the auto and he told me "go away kid Im busy". George Brett my hero was on first baseline talking to another player and turn to look at me when I called out and just ignored me. Rickey Henderson 2 different times, once he waived and that was it, the second time he pulled the Brett move above. Now remember this was 4 hours before a game. NOONE is around, maybe 2-5 kids running around, gates havent opened yet. I was always polite, Mr. Henderson, never called out a player if they appeared busy.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

So u did this in 84? Seems like a cool thing for a 10 year old be like a dream come trure
Rickey don't have time for autographs - Rickey henderson

(02-14-2013, 10:44 PM)chadomac Wrote: So u did this in 84? Seems like a cool thing for a 10 year old be like a dream come trure
Rickey don't have time for autographs - Rickey henderson
It was like a dream. They only worked around 10-15 games a year. The night before was almost like christmas to me, couldnt sleep. But not all that happened in 84. My parents did the fundraising between 83-88 so could have been any of these years. I was 10 in 84.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

Best leadoff hitter, best base stealer.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!