`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Mail Rates To Canada/ International Killing trades

RE: US Mail Rates To Canada/ International Killing trades
(02-16-2013, 11:15 AM)thundercats12 Wrote: The reason why they would ask is so if there was a problem with delivering the item we would be able to contact the recepient. Its not necessary but if something is wrong with the mailing address then it doesnt get returned to whoever originally sent it. I'm a supervisor for Canada Post and you wouldnt believe the amount of packages that arent addressed properly.
Isn't that what the return address is for? I've had stuff I sent out come back because it looked like I had a bout of Parkinsons while writing the address.
My biggest problem with CP is the carriers. I thought my old one was bad before I moved (complained to CP about her 4-5yr old son putting the mail in the box on rainy days, causing everyone tyo have to swap mail) but I get more mail where the address looks like this:
Unit #: Correct
Street #: Wrong
Street Name: Wrong
Postal Code: Wrong
City Name: Wrong
Though I have received a few where the unit # was also incorrect.

Now, I am right on the border of a postal code/municipality border, but come on. Add to that that I haven't seen a cable bill in 3 months and I'm wondering if monkeys are delivering the mail in my area. I also find it odd that I get no mail on Friday and double mail on Monday.
Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com

(02-14-2013, 11:04 AM)rmpaq5 Wrote: I recieved a trade yesterday from the states, and the postage on the bubble mailer (and it had the decleration sticker on for customs) was $3.80. There is obviously a way to do it cheaper, but my guess is you would really have to go over the USPS rules and rates to find it.
When was it mailed?
before Jan 26th?
Thats when postage went up.

(02-14-2013, 01:55 AM)bguzowski16 Wrote: I went to mail something to Canada yesterday and they asks me for the recipients email address or phone number. This is something new? I didn't have it at the time so I went back home with my packages. Waste of a trip to the post office.
Anybody hear of such a thing?
If your mailing something using the larger customs form you have to have one or the other.

That form is used on packages that weight over 4 pounds or are worth more than $400.00. Or express Mail.

If not over those limits they do not need it.

If we can contact the addressee instead of returning the package it saves everyone time and money. Thats the only reason why I can think of asking for an email or phone number. If you print neatly and have the address 100% there isnt a need for either.

(02-16-2013, 11:28 AM)wickabee Wrote: Isn't that what the return address is for? I've had stuff I sent out come back because it looked like I had a bout of Parkinsons while writing the address.
My biggest problem with CP is the carriers. I thought my old one was bad before I moved (complained to CP about her 4-5yr old son putting the mail in the box on rainy days, causing everyone tyo have to swap mail) but I get more mail where the address looks like this:
Unit #: Correct
Street #: Wrong
Street Name: Wrong
Postal Code: Wrong
City Name: Wrong
Though I have received a few where the unit # was also incorrect.

Now, I am right on the border of a postal code/municipality border, but come on. Add to that that I haven't seen a cable bill in 3 months and I'm wondering if monkeys are delivering the mail in my area. I also find it odd that I get no mail on Friday and double mail on Monday.

Tried something yesterday, had trades with small numbers of cards (all thin cards, no GU), was able to get them into bubble mailers and keep them under 3/4 inch. According to postal regs, that qualified them as large envelopes rather than packages, cost about a third of the price of a package. Will see what the verdict is when they're received.

For me, I generally put cards in a team bag with a stiffener, put that in a used bubble mailer, then put all that into a fresh bubble mailer for mailing. Definitely more than 3/4 inches that way, and with GU or other fragile cards, I'd continue to do this and pay the higher rates. But with a small number of thin cards, seems to me like the "large envelope" is the way to go, a little flexing won't damage them, particularly if in a toploader or with some sort of stiffener. And I get a lot of cards sent to me this way, even the redemptions I've gotten from Panini come in just a toploader in a padded envelope. One thing, you may need to ask the postal clerk to send it as a large letter, mine was automatically going to call it a "package"....
Building sets, and collecting Alex Ovechkin, Calle Johansson,
Craig Laughlin and Braden Holtby