`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Paying a premium for BGS 9.5 or PSA 10

Paying a premium for BGS 9.5 or PSA 10
I realize it is not an exact science how much to pay for a BGS 9.5 or PSA 10. Sometimes it just depends on popularity of the card.

But these guys trying to sell $6 BV cards for $50 and $100 really get on my nerves.

For ungraded cards I usually only pay full BV if it is very hard to get either because it is rare or just everyone wants it. Sometimes you have to pay more.

For just everyday regular cards, not serial numbered and there are 10 on ebay and 30 in the marketplace it has to be at least a BGS 9 for me to pay full BV. Now I do understand there is cost associated with grading a card and a BGS 9.5 or PSA should have a premium to it, but the question is how much of a premium?

I offered a guy 3X BV for his $6 card and he turned me down flat. Ok, $18 is not a lot of money and I would go up a little, but his asking price is over 8X BV. The card is just a Pippen Season's Best refractor.

What are the thoughts of guys on here about how many times BV they will pay for a regular card.
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

RE: Paying a premium for BGS 9.5 or PSA 10
You have to shop around but you can get high grade cards for the right price. I agree though many of them are inflated value. My assumption is some one puts a premium on the card if it is a high grade AND expects to recoup the cost of shipping it out for grading. Also some dealers want to try and catch an buyer with lack of knowledge by saying a high grade is a limited card based on the population report.

I generally only chase cards at BV or wait until it is for auction and not BIN. That being said I also collect some vintage cards and that is a much different scale IMO.
[Image: lnuVdUL.png]

(02-10-2013, 12:04 PM)briankort Wrote: I realize it is not an exact science how much to pay for a BGS 9.5 or PSA 10. Sometimes it just depends on popularity of the card.

But these guys trying to sell $6 BV cards for $50 and $100 really get on my nerves.

For ungraded cards I usually only pay full BV if it is very hard to get either because it is rare or just everyone wants it. Sometimes you have to pay more.

For just everyday regular cards, not serial numbered and there are 10 on ebay and 30 in the marketplace it has to be at least a BGS 9 for me to pay full BV. Now I do understand there is cost associated with grading a card and a BGS 9.5 or PSA should have a premium to it, but the question is how much of a premium?

I offered a guy 3X BV for his $6 card and he turned me down flat. Ok, $18 is not a lot of money and I would go up a little, but his asking price is over 8X BV. The card is just a Pippen Season's Best refractor.

What are the thoughts of guys on here about how many times BV they will pay for a regular card.

There are 1000's of cards you will have too pay premium for if you want them in GEM/MINT or better condition...
I can think of 10 MJ 90's inserts you will need to pay upto 5 times BV.
It's all about the pop report or how hard SOME cards are to find in GEM/MINT condition...
The pippen card you mentioned may have a very low pop and be very condition sensitive, so its always going to hold a premium value over the 100's of ungraded NEAR mint rubbish of the same card on ebay...
Having said that, i have no idea about the card your talking about...

I for one don't see the point in buying cards like 90's MJ inserts unless i know i'm getting exactly what i'm paying for!!!

Example:

I could buy the next 20 MJ 1993-94 Ultra Scoring Kings of ebay that are discribed as near-mint or MINT, get them all graded and most will grade BGS 8.5 and a few MIGHT get a BGS 9....

I'm sure i could get each one for almost half BV but when you pay all that money on rubbish cards, you will eventually just give up and buy graded, to secure cards that are actually worth buying...
BGS 9.5's of that card sell for between 4 and 6 times BV!

Don't get me wrong, i have 100's of MJ cards ungraded, i don't care about condition of jersey or even auto cards and the extremely rare numbered inserts, i would take in any condition....

The only time a BGS 9.5 or PSA 10 is NOT worth paying a premium for is when a card is not condition sensitive and can be found ungraded in GEM/MINT condition anywhere...

Gary.

Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

My $0.02, graded cards are just another gimmick bestowed upon collectors. If there's a card I really want and the seller has it graded, I've offered monies to him to bust it out of it's graded case! I loathe graded cards!
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

U always pay a high premium for high graded cards, example my mj collection has cost over $40,000 over the last year

90's mj collector 9.5's or better, also collecting Chris Paul patches and autos