`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Protective coating

Protective coating
I am just curious what your guys opinion is on taking off or leaving on the protective coating from the 90's finest cards?

Does it matter when you get them graded, i.e higher or lower grade if it has been removed?
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

RE: Protective coating
I remember back when the cards came out the rumor was if you peel it off it ruins the value of the cards.Things have changed since then and they are being graded with or without them.I have seen a ton of "gem mint" 9.5 or 10's without the coating.I think the cards look better without the coating but will always leave the coating on mine.
[Image: PennyBannerFinal.gif]

This is just from a personal standpoint but I want my cards how they came out of the pack. For my money, its altered without the coating. My issue is...I know they made parallels that were made with no coating. I don't know when they did this(or why, really) but I cannot tell the difference between one and the other. I had been in the market for a Kobe finest Rookie. I had six or seven in my hands at one time or another without the coating on it. I couldn't pull the trigger thinking that was not how it came out of the pack.
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q728...232c31.jpg

I am typically a fast shipper and I ALWAYS use Delivery confirmation. Sometimes I forget to provide the number.

This is what I was told. Now this is coming from ONE employee at Beckett but he told me when I called and asked the same question that it is recommended to take the coating off because the coating itself could be scratched or scuffed and that would affect the grading. In some circumstances this might be true but personally I try to keep it on to protect the surface from getting scratched. I have had cards that the coating was scratched and when I peeled it off, the actual surface was not scratched. So if you are sending it in and based on the ONE guy it depends on if the coating is in good condition or not.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

(02-09-2013, 02:26 AM)nickm1123 Wrote: This is what I was told. Now this is coming from ONE employee at Beckett but he told me when I called and asked the same question that it is recommended to take the coating off because the coating itself could be scratched or scuffed and that would affect the grading. In some circumstances this might be true but personally I try to keep it on to protect the surface from getting scratched. I have had cards that the coating was scratched and when I peeled it off, the actual surface was not scratched. So if you are sending it in and based on the ONE guy it depends on if the coating is in good condition or not.
They grade the card as it is, so if the coating is scratched it will lower the surface grade just as if the card was scratched. Just seems a shame to me to have a nice bright refractor covered up by the protective coating that can nver be removed once it is encased in a PSA or BGS slab.
(02-09-2013, 01:49 AM)JMarchand1981 Wrote: This is just from a personal standpoint but I want my cards how they came out of the pack. For my money, its altered without the coating. My issue is...I know they made parallels that were made with no coating. I don't know when they did this(or why, really) but I cannot tell the difference between one and the other. I had been in the market for a Kobe finest Rookie. I had six or seven in my hands at one time or another without the coating on it. I couldn't pull the trigger thinking that was not how it came out of the pack.
The made with and without protective coating cards. The without have shiny back to the cards where the with have just a flat dull back. It is actuall quite easy to see the difference if you are holding one of each in your hand.
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade