`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Card Shows

Card Shows
So, it's been probably 20 years since I've been to a card show and I was just a little kid at the time. I basically walked around all day (dreaming) and bought some cheap stuff. There's a card show coming to my area soon and I want to have a plan and understanding of what to expect. Do the vender's do any trading at all or just sales? Would it be wise to haul around my trade collection in hopes of scoring some trades. Fill me in guys. I'm one of those people who must study, prepare, and plan for things ahead of time. Example - I test drove truck after truck for nearly 4 months along with countless hours of studying, comparing, and analyzing before settling on a purchase. I like to do my home work on just about everything in life. So give me the low-down.

Maybe I'm thinking about it too deeply, but like I said I want to be prepared. Thanks in advance to all respondents.

V/R

Shawn
Looking for currently living HOF'ers Rookie Cards, Game Used, and Autographs. To include soon to be HOF'ers.

RE: Card Shows
Really hasn't changed that much in 20 years. Still the same types of things going on. I see dealer trading going on all the time. Just depends really from dealer to dealer. I personally only buy at shows. Probably depends on the show, where and how many dealers there are on whether I would want to haul around a bunch of cards. I'm going to one this weekend so I'm really hyped about it.
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1

Basically the same deal as it was 20 years ago. You just walk around table to table buying or trading. You can get boxes somewhat cheaply there as well. Also, you can still hit big scores in the bargain bins.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

I'm sure opinions differ among those who set up at shows, but if its not too busy I don't mind looking at stuff/trading. If it's busy, I'll still try to trade but prepare for interruptions when other customers come by.

Like someone else said, determine what stuff you want to take because lugging it all around can become tedious.
Album: Album

1997 Donruss Preferred Precious Metals
1997 Topps Gallery Gallery of Heroes

I've been going to shows in the last year or so after taking 15 years off from the hobby. The things I look for, above all, are good deals on my PC needs. After that, I look for good deals on Yankee, Braves, Cardinals, Giants and Red Sox cards. Those ones usually get immediate trade interest. So if I can find a Jeter GU for $5, I buy it.

Always ask the seller what his best price is. If it's way too high, just say thanks and move on. Swing back through a second time and see if he budges a bit. -If not, try to bundle a few other cards in the deal. For example, if he still wants $20 for his Jeter GU, tell him you can do that, but you'd need him to include the Swisher GU and the Teixera GU for $25 total. Basically, give him the money he's looking for, then expand on the deal. If you're just bartering over 1 card, he's less likely to budge on a price (especially when he thinks he has a good chance of finding another buyer. However, once you introduce 3 cards into the mix, he needs to consider whether he's likely to sell all 3). Anyway, that's pretty much basic negotiation 101, so I don't mean to act like I might be teaching you something. It surprises me how often I see people ignore this (especially when it usually benefits both sides). If someone is firm on a price, try to build value elsewhere (where he might value some other cards less than you do).

Also, not sure what cards you have for trade, but I'm guessing you'd do the best if you brought popular players from local teams and were seeking to trade for out-of-town players you collect. In my case, I live in the Detroit area, so sellers aren't usually giving deals on Verlander and Cabrera. If I offer to trade them some Cabrera and Verlander for Mike Stanton (my other PC player), they're likely to be interested.

Finally, keep an eye out for the bargain bin. A lot of times you can find some nice GU for $1-2. Don't be fooled by "deals" on early 2000s GU cards of guys you've never heard of. Unless you collect that kind of thing, they're not going to command much trade value or interest. Likewise, keep an eye out for good deals on low-numbered parallels. If you see a 2010-2012 Topps Chrome gold, black, or red, pick it up (if it's priced right).
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

It's a plus if your phone can get connection and can load Beckett through your Internet.

I love to go to shows on the last day (of multi-day shows) or late in the day (of one-day shows). Dealers don't want to carry a bunch of stuff home, so you're likely to get some deals.

I love bargain bins. I can get cards for a great price. If you go late in the day, those $1 bins usually turn to 50 cent or 25 cent bins. The higher end things might be picked over, but there are a lot of great inserts and low-end game used and autos you can find in bargain bins.

Finally, don't be afraid to ask. The worst they can say is no. But be polite. Don't ask if a seller will take $25 for a Jeter SP RC. Know what I mean? Try to be fair, but ask for a better deal.

It's like buying a car.. Don't act you are in love it or they won't budge with the price. If you take up a lot of their time, they are more willing to lower slightly. Just some tips. They are a lot of fun and I recommend what someone else said above about shopping for you PC first. Enjoy.
[Image: banner8_zpsd1d99d0d.jpg]

Collecting Brandon Beachy, Kris Medlen, Mike Minor, Julio Teheran, Andrelton Simmons and Vintage Atlanta Braves

There is a dealer in Orlando that has the 20 for $20 deal. Found some pretty good inserts and rookies in them. Figured if I could just spend 20 might as well make the most of it