`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Can they add a college alumni search...

Can they add a college alumni search...
Just curious if anyone is with me on this, you know how you can search for Dolphins and all the players pop up. I would like to search for "Gators" and all the UF alumni show up in the search. Let me know if you agree or are apposed to this idea
[Image: Banner.jpg]
Sports Card Album
Contenders Collection
UF: 39/46 (84.8%)
Phins: 14/56 (25.0%)

RE: Can they add a college alumni search...
This would be the greatest addition I can think of well....almost the greatest idea. lol. Im a Canes fan and would like to add in Canes uni'd cards to my PC. If I knew I could search on Beckett for a complete checklist of cards in the Canes uni Id be extremely happy.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

would this be just for players in their college unis on the card, or just in general

from a practical standpoint: who is going to input all that data, for thousands of players (and if card specific, who is going to do all the research on each set)

(01-17-2013, 11:08 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: would this be just for players in their college unis on the card, or just in general

from a practical standpoint: who is going to input all that data, for thousands of players (and if card specific, who is going to do all the research on each set)
Why not give "us" the ability to do so? I realize there will be some a-hole who would input improper data or info but if somehow/someway it were possible for members who were "established" to help beckett input proper tags that would help a lot. I know I could help with Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor tags. lol.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

(01-17-2013, 11:19 AM)bakerman8419 Wrote: Why not give "us" the ability to do so? I realize there will be some a-hole who would input improper data or info but if somehow/someway it were possible for members who were "established" to help beckett input proper tags that would help a lot. I know I could help with Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor tags. lol.
this has been brought up for a number of things on beckett, and i just absolutely disagree with it. general users shouldnt be able to mess with the database in any way whatsoever (just look at how many user submitted images are wrong)

if they want to establish a council of high end users to approve changes, maybe 4-5 people...i wouldnt like it, but id go with it

but the general public touching the database? hell no

With the amount beckett charges for their services someone could do it...
I was just saying alum's. The other idea would be extremely hard to do IMO
[Image: Banner.jpg]
Sports Card Album
Contenders Collection
UF: 39/46 (84.8%)
Phins: 14/56 (25.0%)

im not opposed to the idea of a alumni search, mind you. just trying to think of it practically

they dont have the team in place to do it (why user images arent being approved)

also, an additional entry in the database might not be a great idea until they make sure the speed is stable (has been for about a week, but i think a wait and see approach might be in order before adding more things to the database for it to crunch)

(01-17-2013, 11:08 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: would this be just for players in their college unis on the card, or just in general

Don't they already have this information? Back in the day I used to get the Beckett Alphabetical Checklist publication which I think was put out every other year, and they listed the player with their college after it. I don't know, maybe they stopped gathering this data but I would be surprised. Now, separating by college or pro uniform, that's a whole different animal. I wouldn't think that's practical (but it would be nice).
[Image: UWashBanner2.jpg]
Banner by mattfastiggi
Collecting: Brett Favre (7,771 unique as of 6/1/2015), Packers, UW Huskies (Shaq Thompson, Shelton, Peters, Kikaha, Sankey, ASJ, Trufant, Locker, Brunell, Dillon, etc.)

(01-17-2013, 11:41 AM)uwash97 Wrote: Don't they already have this information? Back in the day I used to get the Beckett Alphabetical Checklist publication which I think was put out every other year, and they listed the player with their college after it. I don't know, maybe they stopped gathering this data but I would be surprised. Now, separating by college or pro uniform, that's a whole different animal. I wouldn't think that's practical (but it would be nice).
IIRC: they only had the college after the player's name if there were two players with the same name (im thinking specifically of ricky williams, adrian peterson and roy williams). actually, i think roy williams had position listed after the name

(01-17-2013, 11:35 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: this has been brought up for a number of things on beckett, and i just absolutely disagree with it. general users shouldnt be able to mess with the database in any way whatsoever (just look at how many user submitted images are wrong)

if they want to establish a council of high end users to approve changes, maybe 4-5 people...i wouldnt like it, but id go with it

but the general public touching the database? hell no
Well if there are millions of cards and only a handful of beckett employees handling things there will never be a chance for cards to be inputted correctly. I know if I were a fan of the Red Sox Id like for you to be able to help with properly adding Sox cards to the org.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341