`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
do i get a 1/1 graded?

RE: do i get a 1/1 graded?
As you can see alot of purists on the board, lol, to put it in perspective how many 1/1's are out there ?
Probably 100,000.00.....times that by 7 bucks minimum...it really is just a gimmick when all things considered.the cards new its a 1/1. Do you really need any more reassurance ?
If you answer yes...then grade it
If no, then enjoy your piece of hockey history, lol.... Cheesy eh. Cheers jv

has no one ever broken a card free from a slab? It's really quite easy... I'd say if you don't mind "wasting" the money if the grade isn't good, go ahead and get it graded.

If it comes back a bad grade, just grab a hammer and a flat-head screwdriver - you hammer a corner at the top (away from the card) until it breaks free enough to slide the screwdriver in, and then you just pry the slab apart (only held on by glue) until you have a big enough space to take the card out. It takes time and patience, but it's really not that dangerous and very effective. I've probably dont it 5-6 times and never damaged a card.... and I've done it with pretty expensive cards.
[Image: finlandbanner.jpg]
Bucket - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/phildonu37/ (I don't update my bucket when stuff is gone)

i agree with swjrp10, just get it authenticated. it's funny how people think that a person's autograph stays the same throughout hers/his life. so the authentication process will give you insurance in the event that you need to sell the card. take for instance albert pujols' autograph...it has changed throughout the years, and people constantly think that an item posted for sale is a fake because it doesn't look the same in 2013 as it did in 2001. the beckett boards are filled with people claiming counterfeit autographs...it may be, but then again, if you pulled the card out of the pack yourself and had people saying you were selling a fake, wouldn't you take offense to some body getting all up in your business?!

I agree mostly with what is being said... you can't really make a 1/1 more rare. It's the only card! Haha!

I would like to get some of my cards graded, but I like that, and they are vintage RC's of superstar players. Things like this, in my opinion, do not need the grade behind them. It has been brought up that a lower grade could actually bring the value down, and I wholly agree with this statement. Plus, as Chris said, if you don't like it, do not do it! It's up to you, ultimately. I would personally stay away, though. My thoughts! Best wishes!

Randi

(01-17-2013, 09:30 AM)phildo37 Wrote: has no one ever broken a card free from a slab? It's really quite easy... I'd say if you don't mind "wasting" the money if the grade isn't good, go ahead and get it graded.

If it comes back a bad grade, just grab a hammer and a flat-head screwdriver - you hammer a corner at the top (away from the card) until it breaks free enough to slide the screwdriver in, and then you just pry the slab apart (only held on by glue) until you have a big enough space to take the card out. It takes time and patience, but it's really not that dangerous and very effective. I've probably dont it 5-6 times and never damaged a card.... and I've done it with pretty expensive cards.

Umm, why do that? Pardon me, but that just seems kind of pointless...

Any card worth grading is one that distinguishes itself from the majority of the cards out there of the same make. A rare card such as a 1/1 does not need it's condition professed, but rather it needs it's rarity and exclusiveness professed and justified.

I have some rare cards meself (/2's, /3, /5's, /8's, /15's, etc.). I know what their condition is and have no problem providing disclosure should there be a flaw. However, I know that the issue is about the rarity, not the condition. If only one person had a Gretzky RC on planet earth, what difference would graded pricing make? Nout.

I have a 2012-13 Autofacts SP Crosby that I just got graded. I knew it was going to grade well so that's why I sent it in, plus there are hardly any graded, but I wanted mine to stand out. As a result, I have one of two Crosby Autofacts that have only ever graded a 9.5. That grading helped my situation in "rarity", kinda like reverse-engineering or something.

Seen as how it is your money and your choice to grade or not, Beckett will not grade any card that cannot reach a certain grade specified by you. If your criteria is minimum a 9.5 and the card you send in cannot grade a 9.5, instruct them not to grade it/encase it and it shall be so. They'll still charge you for the costs associated because their time is worth something, but at least you have the option to choose with your dollars.

I believe where people fail with grading is when they feel they send their cards off to Beckett with fear that it's going to grade poorly and then when it grades poorly, they get all p*ssed off and feel someone broke their crayons when their card grades a 7 or whatever. I would bet 99% of those instances are when people failed to inform and instruct Beckett of the desired minimum grade they seek.

I hope that sheds some light because everyone is quick to give their opinion and we know what opinions are like.

Good luck.
Collecting: Jake Gardiner, Jamie Benn, and Shea Weber high-end RCs and 2012-13 Artifacts Autofacts "A"s and "B"s.

NHL lockout for dummies: Both the NHL and NHLPA conspiring to soak the fans for more money. Qui Bono? Not the fans...

Bucket: http://s1293.photobucket.com/albums/silverdaves

thanks everyone for thier answers/opinions. ........think i'm just gonna go with a 1 touch for now. i'm convinced that there is basically no point in getting it graded due to it being THE ONE OF ALL ONES ( at least to me it is).....thanks again

(01-18-2013, 02:19 AM)nhiimmoe Wrote: thanks everyone for thier answers/opinions. ........think i'm just gonna go with a 1 touch for now. i'm convinced that there is basically no point in getting it graded due to it being THE ONE OF ALL ONES ( at least to me it is).....thanks again
I hope we didn't confuse you! Lol

You're welcome, cheers!
Collecting: Jake Gardiner, Jamie Benn, and Shea Weber high-end RCs and 2012-13 Artifacts Autofacts "A"s and "B"s.

NHL lockout for dummies: Both the NHL and NHLPA conspiring to soak the fans for more money. Qui Bono? Not the fans...

Bucket: http://s1293.photobucket.com/albums/silverdaves

(01-18-2013, 01:53 AM)silverdaves Wrote: Umm, why do that? Pardon me, but that just seems kind of pointless...
do what? get a 1 of 1 graded? - I don't know, I wouldn't do it, just offering up an option if the OP is to get the card graded and change their mind about wanting it to be graded

break a card free from a slab? - my opinion is that graded cards are only for RC's, so if I see an insert or parallel I want that's graded, I have a way of getting it back to my preferred raw state without damaging it.
[Image: finlandbanner.jpg]
Bucket - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/phildonu37/ (I don't update my bucket when stuff is gone)

If it is PC, grade.
If it is for sale or trade, slab.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

Negative
[Image: Signature.jpg]

PC's
Patrick Roy PC 966/7,265 = 13.30% Complete
Brandon Yip PC 101/183 = 55.19% Complete
Nick Palmieri 93/150 = 62.00% Complete

Unique Avs Cards = 1303
Unique Nordiques Cards = 1054