`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Keep or Sell?

Keep or Sell?
I've been collecting cards for about 15 years now. I'm not a huge collector as I don't spend tons of money each year but I enjoy the hobby. I've manage to get some decent pulls over the years but nothing too special in my opinion. My question to everybody is as a collector when you get a nice pull of a good player (not a rookie) do you just keep the card for your collection or would you sell/trade it to another collector who may be a big fan of that player and appreciate the card more?

Just a quick example. I'm a Packers fan but recently pulled a 2 color Walter Payton jersey swatch #16/25. Nothing too special but not a bad card. I'm not a fan of the Bears as a team nor was I around when Payton was playing but I know he was one of the best ever to play which makes me want to keep it. At the same time I don't have any other Payton cards nor am I a Bears collector. I just feel like somebody out might appreciate the card more than it just sitting in my collection.

So in general do you keep the card yourself or do you sell/trade it to somebody who will appreciate it more?

RE: Keep or Sell?
I personally always trade them to the team/player collector of whomever the card is. But I also know guys that collect a certain team/player and they collect them all. So it's all up to what you want to do.

(01-15-2013, 01:19 PM)ptownswim3 Wrote: I've been collecting cards for about 15 years now. I'm not a huge collector as I don't spend tons of money each year but I enjoy the hobby. I've manage to get some decent pulls over the years but nothing too special in my opinion. My question to everybody is as a collector when you get a nice pull of a good player (not a rookie) do you just keep the card for your collection or would you sell/trade it to another collector who may be a big fan of that player and appreciate the card more?

Just a quick example. I'm a Packers fan but recently pulled a 2 color Walter Payton jersey swatch #16/25. Nothing too special but not a bad card. I'm not a fan of the Bears as a team nor was I around when Payton was playing but I know he was one of the best ever to play which makes me want to keep it. At the same time I don't have any other Payton cards nor am I a Bears collector. I just feel like somebody out might appreciate the card more than it just sitting in my collection.

So in general do you keep the card yourself or do you sell/trade it to somebody who will appreciate it more?
[Image: Hof_zpsa29cd41a.png]

If you smoke in your home, please don't trade me.

I change my mind on what and who I collect, it seems everyother week...lol I have traded and collected my handfull of players/teams I collect in the past, up until about a month ago, where now, I've decided I'm collecting everything like I did when I first got into the hobby, I know this was absolutely no help. But, pulling a GU Payton, even if I didn't collect the Bears, they may be worth holding on too imo.
[Image: ce8f6545-0bdb-49f7-be76-b13239e656d6_zps6d8f6973.png]

I'd personally sell/trade it and find a home for it where someone will truly enjoy it.

Trade to someone that would appreciate the card and hopefully you get a good deal on a card you want. If that doesn't work out sell it. Selling is my last option. For example I have an RG3 card off getting graded, I am hoping to get a nice Tom Brady for it. If that does not work out I will sell it.
Check me out! Updating all the time. Working my ORG daily! Have lots to trade.

Collect Patriots, Texans, Bruins, Texas A&M, UCONN and current project 2011 Certified FOTG /250 set 2011 Playoff Contenders Set

http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j369/Mercier2002/

It all depends on the card. My PC expands all the time. However if I have no interest in the card then it definitely goes up for sale or trade. The only problem I have is that I hate parting with common rookies in their first few years, since there are so many late bloomers in all sports. The best thing is to consider trading not just to trade the card, but to get something you would rather have.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(01-15-2013, 01:49 PM)redskins316 Wrote: I change my mind on what and who I collect, it seems everyother week...lol I have traded and collected my handfull of players/teams I collect in the past, up until about a month ago, where now, I've decided I'm collecting everything like I did when I first got into the hobby, I know this was absolutely no help. But, pulling a GU Payton, even if I didn't collect the Bears, they may be worth holding on too imo.
Me too lol
[Image: Banner.jpg]
Sports Card Album
Contenders Collection
UF: 39/46 (84.8%)
Phins: 14/56 (25.0%)

If you question whether or not you want to keep a card, I say sell/trade it. Use it to get a card you know you want.
Currently collect: NON-SERIAL NUMBERED autos, Topps, and Topps Chrome cards of players in Bengals uniforms.

Or you can give them to me and I'll take the burden off of you.

I collect Texas Rangers base cards and vintage cards.

I don't open but maybe 8-10 packs a month, only 3-4 every trip to the LCS and a blaster box about once a month. But when I open a pack, I pull Rangers base cards first. Base star cards like Pujols, A-Fraud and others go into a box.

Now I've started putting all other semistars and commons into the trash. I have 3,000 plus listed in my ORG and nobody wants them. Whenever I try and trade for base cards, everybody wants me to trade them $2-$3 inserts and so forth and nobody wants same-value base cards.

After all that, I try to sell all the inserts, RCs, GUd, refractors and autos to try and recoup the money. If I can't sell, then I will usually trade, which I end up doing with most of the lower-end rookies and refractors.

Obviously, I can't pull any vintage. So, pretty much everything goes into the sale/trade bin. Hope this helps.