`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions On Set Building: Base Topps or Heritage

Questions On Set Building: Base Topps or Heritage
OK, thinking of going back to doing the one set a year gig for modern. I'm currently bouncing back and forth between base Topps (more likely) or Heritage since I love the upcoming design from 1964.

1) For base Topps, how well do they collate in the jumbo boxes? Being that there are 10 packs/50 cards per in each box, I'll be getting 500 cards total not taking into account any inserts. I would imagine I could finish the set but I don't know how well they usually collate. I'm thinking of going this route because, if anything, I'll have plenty to work with in regards to trading with others on here who would, hopefully, also be working on the set and we could help each other out in that regard without having to purchase more packs/boxes.

2) For Heritage, has anyone here attempted the complete set with SPs and whatnot? From what I gather, and I may be wrong, I could get most of the regular set done with 1-2 boxes but then I'll still have a ways to go. I'd imagine that the SPs will cost a little bit out of the gate but eventually come down in price as the year progresses. However, at that point how much more difficult do they become to obtain?

I'm leaning more towards the base Topps because, well, it's the "classic" set and should be easier to put together. I'm just not certain if it would make more sense to purchase a couple of regular hobby boxes or pick up one jumbo and work from there in trading.

Thanks all!

RE: Questions On Set Building: Base Topps or Heritage
If you just want a complete set for each year I'd just buy a sealed set later in the year for $39.99 you'd still have to hunt down the SP singles though but you'd probably be able to hunt them down cheaper one at a time rather than buying a couple of boxes and hoping to get a couple.

That said if busting packs is your thing I'd go base topps myself. I went way overboard last year doing base topps, heritage, bowman, Bowman chrome, Bowman Chrome Prospects and several insert sets. And I still have some sets I haven't completed yet.

Normally, a regular Topps jumbo box is enough for a set. That wasn't the case for me with last updates, though. Out of a six jumbo box case, I was about three cards short of even one complete set. I think that's more the exception than the rule. You'd definitely get close enough to trade or buy the handful left, in the worst case.

Heritage is a whole other ball of wax. It's pretty much a money pit, if you're trying to build the set from packs/boxes. Last year, a hobby box had 24 packs of 9 cards. That's a total of 216 cards (out of a 500 card set). The non SP set is 425, so you'd need more than two boxes to even have enough to cover those, let alone getting the ones you need. Keeping in mind that the SPs are (I think) one in every three packs, that's only 8 to a hobby box, and there are 75 of them.

I think it depends on how you want to put the set together. If you want to do it from packs, and plan to chase them forever, Heritage is a good bet. I completed a Heritage set last year, but after a few boxes, I ended up just buying lots of SPs on ebay and hoping for the best. It's doable, but personally, I think the SP thing is a little out of hand there.

When I buy Jumbos, I am always between 5 and 10 cards short of a base set. When I get down to the final few packs, they are mostly duplicates. Heritage will be harder. To complete base set, you'll ned at least two boxes, then the SPs as well. I always buy a Jumbo for base Topps, not regular boxes. That is because you get more of the set and inserts as well as an auto, mem, and manu mem.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

I completed the Heritage set 1-500 with 2 boxes and a bunch of trades on this site. I recently scored a couple more boxes at shows for super cheap and am 20 SP's from finishing a second set to sell.

As for Topps, the jumbos will complete your base set probably 8 out of 10 times. I had fun busting them this year but for 2013 I think I am just going to buy the factory set. The hits in Topps just aren't good enough for me to spend money on the wax.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

i bought 1 jumbo of S1, S2, and Update this year. i didnt bother to pay attention to the set building for S1 and S2 since i just picked up the factory set. but i was able to complete the base Update set with 1 Jumbo box.
[Image: m3OLcuF.png]
Sig by: jbel4331 / STL Cardinals & Rams Collector

While more expensive, I think Heritage is more fun to complete, especially if you like vintage. The SPs can get pretty expensive if you don't pull or trade for them; I've noticed that those SPs actually retain some value over the years. Heritage is also fun for the variation subsets and SSPs, if you're into that sort of thing. I am Smile It's the only set I try to complete each year.
[Image: Ayent.png] IvlkJ.png
Thanks jbel4331 for the sigs!

(01-12-2013, 01:37 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: If you just want a complete set for each year I'd just buy a sealed set later in the year for $39.99 you'd still have to hunt down the SP singles though but you'd probably be able to hunt them down cheaper one at a time rather than buying a couple of boxes and hoping to get a couple.

That said if busting packs is your thing I'd go base topps myself. I went way overboard last year doing base topps, heritage, bowman, Bowman chrome, Bowman Chrome Prospects and several insert sets. And I still have some sets I haven't completed yet.
Totally agree!
The sealed set is the cheapest way to go, and they sometimes have their own "chase" cards that the packs don't have .... I got a sweet Mantle patch card one year, there's a really nice Ruth ring card this year. There was a rookie subset in one factory box either last year, or the one before. ($49-59 at Target)

... And totally agree again!
I went waaaay overboard last year, too. base Topps, Allen & Ginter, Heritage, Bowman, Bowman chrome, Bowman Platinum, Topps Chrome, Gypsy Queen, etc.
TOO .... MANY ...... CARDS!!!!!! And with all the I'm sure there's still some that are missing to complete sets.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

For the plain Topps set I would just buy the sealed set. Much cheaper than building from boxes. Heritage is actually pretty easy. Buy a box or 2 to build the base set and get a handful of SP's. Then hit the bay right when it drops and look to buy group lots of the SP's. You wil get them cheaper in groups. Otherwise you will have to wait about a year for SP prices to drop as a lot of people build these sets and the SP sell well through out the year. You will get some double SP's to either trade with or resell. With Heritage you will also want to build the subsets which is pretty easy. Once you got a complete master set you can still sell it for a couple hundred years down the road. How many plain Topps sets can you say that with?
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket