`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Took 20 years off, "new" to collecting again, have ???s

RE: Took 20 years off, "new" to collecting again, have ???s
(01-11-2013, 08:59 AM)Trollhawk Wrote: Thanks for the responses everyone, I appreciate it. One other question I thought of this morning before I dive back in; do cards these days hold their value a bit more over the years? Maybe it's the lack of chase cards but I'm noticing cards I have that we're stupid expensive back in the day (1990 Leaf Baseball) don't hold 5% of the value they had back in the day.
The answer is that no one really has any idea. Just like in 1990, it is like any other investment. If it were guaranteed, everyone would be in on it. That's why if you look at it like an investment or a money maker, you will certainly end up getting hurt. At this point, it's just fun for me. If they turn out to be valuable still later, that's just a bonus.

(01-11-2013, 03:55 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: The answer is that no one really has any idea. Just like in 1990, it is like any other investment. If it were guaranteed, everyone would be in on it. That's why if you look at it like an investment or a money maker, you will certainly end up getting hurt. At this point, it's just fun for me. If they turn out to be valuable still later, that's just a bonus.
Good point, good point. I can understand not using cards as a moneymaker, but at the same time it's disappointing to see a (at the time) $50.00 Frank Thomas Leaf, worth $1.50 now.

I know. I grew up in Chicago and we didn't have a lot of cash growing up. That card was my holy grail. :-)

Everything from the late 80's through the early 90's was a lesson learned. I don't think the card companies will produce like that again, I think they learned from their mistakes, so you shouldn't see that kind of loss in value again, I hope. No one will trade for or buy those cards any more. If you ask what to do with cards from that era on the boards now, the response is ALWAYS to donate them to children or something that will appreciate them for what they are or to just throw them away. Kinda sad really.